Quote from: Ribbons on February 20, 2011, 09:17:03 PM
I've noticed that a lot, and other people have to. MtF tend to be feminine, and FtM masculine (or at least just stereotypically boyish). I know how girls tend to be, and boys will be boys, but it's a bit weird.
Plus, is it me or do quite a few transwoman like to wear feminine clothing.. A lot? I don't see girls wearing skirts or dresses much honestly; ever actually, unless it's a party or a part of the uniform.
You don't see that many tomboyish MtF or feminine FtM, as you would with cisgendered people. I've heard people on another trans-related forum say that it seems like a lot of people play up the stereotypes rather then being themselves.
I have to agree, to an extent. Few gfemales wear dresses or makup, habitually, though some do.
I know, when I was younger, my own preference would be to wear dresses, experiment with makeup and such. Thinking back, I would have been trying to affirm my identity. To myself as much as anyone else.
But appearance is more than showing off or attracting attention. It's about getting the ->-bleeped-<- from society, that you feel comfortable with.
Think of two entirely different sets of clothing. Say, a boiler suit and a formal ensemble. The ->-bleeped-<- you'll get from either is going to be different, in almost any social situation. I don't think it's gender stereotype as such. It's more about getting ->-bleeped-<- that makes you feel comfortable.
During my time living as female, I went into shops and such. I was treated like a young woman, going shopping. The ->-bleeped-<- was very different than would happen you a young man.
Now my only real ambition is to get the ugly bit removed.