Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Question to M2F TS's only: Have you stopped HRT?

Started by Teri Anne, January 14, 2007, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Given that genetic women who are not experiencing "hot flashes" are advised strongly to stop HRT, have you stopped HRT?   Also, please answer Question 2 - How difficult was it to quit HRT?

I'm a post-op TS - I plan to continue HRT forever
11 (35.5%)
I'm a preop TS - I plan to continue HRT forever
36 (116.1%)
I'm a post-op TS - I have quit HRT totally
5 (16.1%)
I'm a post-op TS - I plan to continue HRT forever
5 (16.1%)
Question 2 - I had no problem quitting HRT
5 (16.1%)
Question 2 - I had some mild problems quitting HRT
2 (6.5%)
Question 2 - I had difficulty quitting HRT
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

RebeccaFog

That is very interesting, Teri Anne,

I'm glad you took the time to lay it out so I can understand it.

Best wishes,

rebecca
  •  

Terri Gene

Um .... Yeah.  The way I saw it some years ago was that all I needed the Estrogen for was all involved in body parts.  Ok, so I took it for a few years.  It helped phsically and it did do some things to my mental attitudes, but after the last Stoke the doctors said no more of it.  so I been off it for a year now and I feel no different then I did while on it.  Honestly ..... from what I can see in others I know, It doesn't change anything other then your "growth" into a more fem body style.

I've heard all kinds of things about what it can do for you mentally, but from what I feel and have seen around others around here, your environment has a lot more to do with how you emotionally adapt to things. 

To any who are interested I'd just say this.  If you need the physical changes, go for it with all you got, but if your body is close enough to what it physically should be, leave it alone.

Terri
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Terri Gene on March 14, 2007, 09:17:10 PM
Um .... Yeah.  The way I saw it some years ago was that all I needed the Estrogen for was all involved in body parts.  Ok, so I took it for a few years.  It helped phsically and it did do some things to my mental attitudes, but after the last Stoke the doctors said no more of it.  so I been off it for a year now and I feel no different then I did while on it.  Honestly ..... from what I can see in others I know, It doesn't change anything other then your "growth" into a more fem body style.

I've heard all kinds of things about what it can do for you mentally, but from what I feel and have seen around others around here, your environment has a lot more to do with how you emotionally adapt to things. 

To any who are interested I'd just say this.  If you need the physical changes, go for it with all you got, but if your body is close enough to what it physically should be, leave it alone.

Terri

Simple words, wise words, and I totally agree.

BTW it's really great to see you here hon.

Steph
  •  

Terri Gene

Thank you Steph, I appreciate that.  I just don't get in much anymore.  Have a lot going on and I haven't worked in a year now so I don't spend as much time online these days.

I like to drop in occasionally just to see how everyone is doing, but I got no close friends here anymore so not much to do here but I like to check it out when possible.  Be looking for another job soon and then I'll likely be around more and have a lot of balony to toss around,  It just isn't like the old days when we (some of us) were pretty outfront.

Anyway, take care girl and get on with all you can.

Terri
  •  

Julie Marie

Before the divorce and before my kids moved out I had started and stopped HRT twice.  The first time I ran out and guilted myself out of continuing.  The second time I reasoned that if I stopped and let my kids know I'll get them back in my life.  It didn't work.  I started again a year ago last July, shortly after the divorce, and have been on them steady since.  As long as I need them to maintain female levels I'll continue taking them, unless my doctor tells me otherwise.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Indian.angel

hey all, i am very confused about my hormone therapy.. i am no post op 3 years frm india... as pr op my dosage was 0.05mg lynoral and 1 tab of finast as anti-androgen.. results were fine breasts didnt grow much... but after surgery my doc told me to stop finast keep on taking same dosage of estrogen... i m still very confused.. and now i am noticing that the feminity charm and firgure i used to hv 2 years back is not there anymore..ppl are started making out.. i feel so disgusted pls guide me...now by taking estrgens i am feeling less volume of hair too and i hv gained tooo  :( :'(
  •  

MariaMx

I had a long involuntary break last year while the national GID clinic, who had been prescribing for me the previous 7 years, decided it was no longer their responsibility to write my prescriptions. My doctor on the other hand felt that it was not his place to write me the prescriptions since he was no endocrinologist and felt he was unqualified for the job. A 4 month period of bickering between the two followed while I was left fighting for a resolution to the problem and dealing with the effects of coming off hrt.

The worst part was of going of hrt was the powerful hot flashes. They started about 3 weeks after I took the last pill and lasted till about 4 weeks after going back on. Like clockwork I would ha a massive hot flash every 30 minutes 24/7. Other than that there were headaches and my skin seemed to suffer.
"Of course!"
  •  

AbraCadabra

Yes, 2 weeks before SRS and I did not feel too good about it AT ALL.

Went back 3 days after SRS was complete (3 ops in 10 days)

To stop is not for me at present.

Axélle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Amazon D

I'm a post-op TS - I have quit HRT totally   4 (7.7%)

14 yrs post op stopped around yr 2 1/2 and only took them around 6 more months off and on over the next 3 yrs and then haven't taken any in 9 yrs .. when i work hard gardening i don't get hot flashes in winter time i do.

I was told only to take HRT for 2 yrs because anything longer was bad for you health. I could probably start again for 2 yrs but no need too
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Zoey

I'm a post op MTF and I stopped taking hormones several years ago, due to both cost and concerns about long-term use on my liver. I like living naturally as much as possible, and since I did not have to fight the hormones being created by my male parts anymore, I didn't see much need for the hormones. The only problems I had with quitting them was hot flashes....then I'd start taking them again....then I'd stop....It's not a problem anymore for some reason.
  •  

big kim

I'm post op 18 years i was told by my Doctor to take Premarin as it prevents osteoporosis,I take 1.25 mg per day.I stopped for my operation what was I like? If you kick a grizzly bear in the ass that was what it did to me!
  •  

CynthiaAnn

I am post op almost 3 years, I plan on taking HRT until my DR tells me otherwise. I did stop taking HRT prior to surgery, and that was not as harsh as I expected, I got through all that just fine. Don't miss spiro at all !!

C -
  •