Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Jewish and Trans?

Started by Shana A, January 15, 2007, 07:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

I've been reading various threads in the spirituality section, am wondering if there are any other Jewish trans people here at Susan's, whether practicing or non practicing? Or am I the only one here? :(

A little about me. I wasn't brought up in a religious household, we observed major holidays, that's all. I went to Hebrew school for a few years as a child, but dropped out before getting bar mitzvah, my choice. I'd become an atheist at age 12 and didn't see a reason to go through with the ceremony for something I didn't believe. From about age 20, I become agnostic, and over the years, explored various religions and spiritual practices including Buddhism, Sufi and pagan, to name a few. A few years ago, I become interested in exploring Judaism again, particularly Jewish renewal, and have given considerable thought about how to reconcile my Judaism with being transgender. No answers on this yet, except that I believe I was created trans for some reason.

I'm still mostly agnostic, maybe there is a g-d, maybe not, I don't know, and it's never seemed to matter much to me to know for sure. I suppose I'll find out someday  :) I do find it important to observe Jewish holidays and various customs, regardless of whether I believe in g-d or not. I've always felt that being Jewish was an important aspect of who I am as a person. In recent years I've also been attempting to learn Yiddish, although there aren't too many people to practice with in the rural area where I live.

Well, I could go on more in depth, but for now, that's enough, genug already  :)

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Cindi Jones

zythyra,

I'm glad that you are getting in touch with your Jewish traditions.  No, I'm not Jewish.  I only say that my mother is Jewish when I hear someone knocking Jews.  But I do love the myriad of holidays and reasons to have a good meal.

I know that we've had a good knock about on religion around here lately.  But I also believe that we need protect and nurture our traditions.  We need to remember them as the rich part of our culture and history. 

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Brianna

Yup, that's me. Jewish, agnostic and transsexual. :) You can join my club.

Bri
  •  

Shana A

QuoteI know that we've had a good knock about on religion around here lately.  But I also believe that we need protect and nurture our traditions.  We need to remember them as the rich part of our culture and history.

Yes Cindi. Many years ago I was at some new age event, and felt very annoyed at what I was seeing of appropriation of native American spirituality by non native people. In a lot of ways I think it's important to connect with where one comes from. Not that this is always easy, I have a lot of issues with my tradition. But it is my heritage too, and as I explore it, I find ways to make it work for me...

QuoteYup, that's me. Jewish, agnostic and transsexual. Smiley You can join my club.

Bri, there seems to be a strong tradition of agnostic trans Jews.  ;D I'm certainly proud to be one too...

zythyra

•  

ChildOfTheLight

Quote from: zythyra on January 16, 2007, 09:38:15 AM

QuoteYup, that's me. Jewish, agnostic and transsexual. Smiley You can join my club.

Bri, there seems to be a strong tradition of agnostic trans Jews.  ;D I'm certainly proud to be one too...

zythyra

Can I join too?  I'm Jewish, agnostic, and androgyne (or as I once put it, in reference to a certain book and its author, "just another nice Jewish boy who grew up to be a gender outlaw."  ;D)
  •  

Brianna

You're in, childofthelight. Bring a menorah, and something to eat.

Bri
  •  

ChildOfTheLight

Quote from: Brianna on January 16, 2007, 05:03:49 PM
You're in, childofthelight. Bring a menorah, and something to eat.

Bri

Yay!  *starts preparing my mom's delicious noodle pudding*

And since I know a lot of you here like cooking, I will actually get the recipe from her sometime and post it.
  •  

Suzy

zythyra,
My family does the seder and have done other Jewish holidays.  They are really cool.

Kristi
  •  

Shana A

QuoteYay!  *starts preparing my mom's delicious noodle pudding*

Yay, kugel!! I'll bring latkes, I make them completely from scratch, I don't use mix. Gotta love it, where does a thread about Judaism invariably end up? Food! ;D

Yes, I was also thinking of a couple of notable gender outlaws when mentioning strong tradition  of agnositic Jewish transpeople. One thing that jumps out in Judaism for me is concept of tikkun olam, repair of the world, I can't help but think that somehow my being trans is part of that... Now, how to achieve that?

zythyra
PS, also androgyne, or some other gender for which there is no name.

z

•  

Bracha

•  

Shana A

Hi Bracha,

Welcome! I look forward to hearing more from you on this thread. I belonged to a conservative temple as a child, and have since been unaffiliated for many years.

zythyra

•  

BiirthaZ

Shalom,
I am a Jew by choice. I was raised Christian but found something missing or not making sense. So I started looking into the origins of the Christian religion. I found answers that I was not aware of before. For instances Jewish reject Jesus for different reasons then what Christians say. I also found a community alive and vigrant.
I left the Christian religion and start feeling free to look at who I am as a transgender person. I started transistioning at the same time. It has caused some problems at the Shul I attend but people overall are receive me well.
I attend a conservative shul and occasionally attend a Reform shul.
I have not taken conversion yet but will be come a member of the shul in the fall. I will then begin taking conversion. I also want to do my Bat Mitzfah once I have done my conversion.
I love the prayer service and the Torah service. Shabbat has become a very meaningful part of my life. I struggle toward being received but it has been good.
Currently I have some strong friendships at shul with some being a part of the shul's executive.
In being Jewish and transgender, does it matter? Yes and no. It matters only to those who think it matters. It does not matter to those who do not think so. I attend regularly and the Rabbe sees that as most important and that I committ myself to the journey.
I can not wait to convert, yet I am waiting for my operation to happen first so that I do not have to go through the one process that male members have to go through.
My family has a problem with me being transgender but most of all that I left the Christian faith and do not accept the teaching or the belief of Jesus.
It is a journey and a time of growth.
  •  

Laura Nin

I'm Jewish and transsexual.  I love going to Torah study on Saturday mornings where we sort of rip apart and analyze the heck out of the weekly portion.

I had a Christian friend come to the one where we discussed Joseph and his interesting robe.  The word for the robe is the same word that means "Princess Dress" in another portion.  So there are depths to the mythology that modern people don't want to look at.

I will be having my surgery soon and then I will have the ceremony to change my gender to female (according to Jewish law).

The funny thing is I'm not in the least religious but I enjoy analyzing the traditions and history of the Jewish faith.  And other mythologies too, but the Torah is what I was raised on.
  •