Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

California legalizes same sex marriage

Started by Alison, September 01, 2005, 07:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alison

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/01/gay.marriage.ap/index.html

"SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- The California Senate approved legislation Thursday that would legalize same-sex marriages, a vote that makes the chamber the first legislative body in the country to approve a gay marriage bill."
  •  

stephanie_craxford

This is really good news... State, by State, by State, it's all so inevitable, hopefully the rest of the country will see this.  Same sex marriage was legalised last July in Canada, then some day the world.  :)

Steph
  •  

Leigh

Not yet it doesn't!!!!!

"We're going to continue to work around the clock to get the votes we need for next week's vote," Kors said, noting the California Legislature faces a Sept. 9 deadline for getting bills to Gov. Schwarzenegger's desk.

"The governor has said he won't make any decision until the bill gets there. He has said that he is fine with marriage for gay and lesbian couples. In his heart he opposes discrimination," Kors said. "Whatever he does will be an enormous part of his legacy. We hope and
  •  

beth

it says the "senate" passed the bill. the assembly hasent? i wouldnt celebrate till both houses pass it, reconcile the differences and Arnold signs it. i lived in calif for 50 years and saw a lot of bills die at the last moment. if it does pass you can expect a "proposition" which is a bill writen by citizens and put to a public vote that will try to reverse it unfortunately.

beth
  •  

Terri-Gene

Absolutly right Beth, look at the history of this in California, We have been as close or closer before.  It is a time of intense lobbying, on both sides, and the fact that the Govenator won't make a clear stand is disturbing.  Nothing is done until it stands on it's own as a done deal, and even then it's going to be a fight to keep it.  Nobody here is dancing in the streets yet, more like "digging in".

Terri
  •  

Cassandra

If the bill gets passed by the assembly and if Schwarzenegger signs it and it becomes law the passage would be an acknowledgement of a right to marry. Once a right is established by the legislature and assuming the language of the state constitution so much as alludes to the existance of such a right then the Courts will not allow a proposition to stand which by it's nature attempts to repeal an established right. It would be like trying to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Sure you get lots of challenges and attempts to write laws around it but it will never get passed the court as long as there are people willing to fight it.

But, one battle at a time. Lets see if the assembly passes it. If it is still stacked with democrats it probably has a pretty good chance. I have seen the state senate pass bills before knowing the assembly would not, but that was usually to appease conservatives on some issue. We shall see.

Cassie
  •  

Leigh

I hope he does not live up to his hit movies--The terminator!

Gay Marriage Gets Vote
California legislation approves same-sex marriage

Same-sex marriage was approved by the California senate Tuesday, as gay-rights advocates overcame two earlier defeats in the assembly.

The 41-35 vote in Sacramento sends the bill to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
  •  

gina_taylor

That is so cool!!!  :) Two thumbs up for the vote for gay marriage!!!  I had heard that it was leaglized in Canada, and me and my husband (or partner) were going to go there when he gets out and get legally married. He  had thought about marriage through proxy, but I wasn't too sure about that, even after researching it. Is Hawaii leagalized for gay marriages?

I agree 100% with Stephanie. State by state and then the world. It's definetly inevitable.

Gina
  •  

Dennis

I hate to burst your bubble, but it looks more like the world and then state by state. The US is definitely not first on this front. There are a few countries that have legalized same sex marriage. Canada and Spain for two. Can't think of the others off the top of my head.

Hope this California thing passes though.

Dennis
  •  

Sarah Louise

I hope it passes as well.  I can understand why some "religions" object, but there shouldn't be any reason for the "State" to object.

You can never tell what Arnie will do, he might try to put an inititive on the ballot, since he doesn't really seem to want to make a direct decision on this issue.

If there really is seperation of state and religion, then any marriage should be accepted by the state.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Leigh

Any reply to this would get me banned.

Schwarzenegger Says He Will Veto Gay Marriage Bill

POSTED: 6:11 pm PDT September 7, 2005
UPDATED: 8:10 pm PDT September 7, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif, -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced Wednesday that he will veto a bill that would allow gay marriages in California.

Schwarzenegger said the legislation, given final approval Tuesday by lawmakers, would conflict with the intent of voters when they approved a ballot initiative five years ago.

Proposition 22 prevents California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote," the governor's press secretary, Margita Thompson, said in a statement. "Out of respect for the will of the people, the governor will veto (the bill)."

Despite his promised veto, Schwarzenegger issued a statement saying he "believes gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their relationship."

A state appeals court is weighing an appeal of a San Francisco judge's ruling striking down state laws barring gay marriages.
  •  

Dennis

)(*&)(^*&%(*%)&_

That's about as articulate as I can make my comment.

Dennis
  •  

Sarah Louise

Of course I am disappointed that the govenor couldn't stand up for what he claims to be his beliefs, but, did anyone "really" expect him to approve this bill?

While we deserve the same rights given to others, we need to stand up for ourselves, no one else will.  Unfortunately some people are afraid of us and others just plain hate us.  We need to let them see we are not out to "ruin" society.  We just want to be given what we should already have, acceptance of who we are.

I am not always good at expressing myself, oh well.

Sarah
  •  

Cassandra

The short answer is there is nothing to stop you from getting married however it does not have the authority of law. If your spouse is hospitalised for any reason you have no legal rights with regard to treatment or even visitation, should your spouse be unable to speak for themselves. Only a legally recognized family member can make any decisions. There is also the problems which arise when a couple has a child. In the case of a lesbian couple who had a child invitro. One spouse donated the egg which was then fertilized and placed in the womb of the other spouse. The child was carried to term and delivered in good health.

They raised the child but when the birth mother died the grandparents took custody of the child and the spouse could not get custody or even visitation rights. They thought that since the egg came from one and the other only carried the child to term that they would both have legal custody even with out the benefit of legal recognition. The court disagreed and awarded custody to the grandparents. I don't remember the specific case but I do remember reading about it. I believe the case is still in the appeals process but in the mean time the doner mother is completely cut off from the child. These are just a couple of many reasons why it is so important to have the legal recognition for same sex marriage.

Cassie
  •  

gina_taylor

There are ways around it, but the church especially looks at gay marriages as being sinful. I personally don't see anything wrong with same sex marrigaes. When two people honestly love each other, why should their gender get in their way? It was said in the Bible that bother will love brother so why can't man love man the same way?

Gina
  •  

Leigh

One of my t shirts say in big letters.

Marriage is a human right not a heterosexual pivelige

Emotional relief, socitial equality, parental rights, financial equality.  The over 1000 federal and state benefits that I am now denied.
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Leigh

QuoteMarriage is a human right not a heterosexual pivelige

Emotional relief, socitial equality, parental rights, financial equality.  The over 1000 federal and state benefits that I am now denied.

And may I add that you probably pay more than your fair share of taxes just like those who have the right to marry.

So looking at it from a purely financial side, if you pay the same taxes then you should have the same rights as the heteros.  After all the State and Federal tax departments think you are equal enough to pay, then those same Federal and State governments should think you are equal enough to marry, otherwise it's discrimination.  And isn't evreyone suposed to be equal before the law?

Just rambling,

Steph
  •  

Leigh

QuoteAnd may I add that you probably pay more than your fair share of taxes just like those who have the right to marry

That is what I told the TV interviewer last year.  "I work, shop, pay my taxes, I do everything  socially that a heterosexual couple does.  The only difference is that I love other women.  Why should I have to sit in the back of the bus when there is absolutely no other difference"
  •  

gina_taylor

"MARRIAGE IS A HUMAN RIGHT" That's an excellent point there Leigh. I'm hoping that this bill does get approved! The more the marrier!

Gina
  •  

Sarah Louise

They still say that glbt groups are going to meet with the govenor, but I don't hold out much hope he will approve the bill.

And the Christian churches are already gathering signatures on patitions to put on the November ballot to stop marriages except between a woman and a man.  Oh well.  I saw a notice posted that they are trying to gather 1,000,000 signatures.

Sarah
  •