Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Charcoal/Propane round 2

Started by Tracey, April 09, 2011, 03:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

OK, it doesn't matter what you cooked with, now it's time for the marshmallows! Do you slowly and evenly turn them until they're golden brown (like I do) or do you torch them and eat the blackened shell? Or skip the cooking and eat them right out of the bag?
  •  

Janet_Girl

Toast to a light golden brown, then place between two pieces of Hersey's chocolate bar and Graham crackers.

And what do you get when you are out of marshmallows?  S'ores.  ;D
  •  

Amazon D

Well when i ate them last around 45 yrs ago i liked them burnt. But these days i don't eat them unless i find them in some hot chocolate  ;D
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Devlyn

OK, that's one for golden brown and one for blackened. Janet, I haven't forgotten the golden rule: No marshmallows until after the slab of beef! M2M, is there an easier way to feel 45 years younger?
  •  

Joelene9

Wood down to coals in a fire pit me and my uncle made in the 1980s.  I recently replaced the old sewer coupling used for that with another in reserve since then.  This for the memories of my uncle, RIP.  He built the cabin out of salvaged materials and beetle killed pine.  The place has an intentional rustic appearance to it.
  The marshmallow/ hotdog tines made from the abundant shrub willow on the property makes for a better tine than those cheap wire ones.  The willow marshmallow/ hotdog tine has less slippage into the fire than the wire ones.  Graham crackers and Hershey bars plus the meat condimemts on hand at S'more Central on a small round table made from an old large cable spool.  I like my marshmallows browned slowly to a golden brown oozing on a cracker with the Hershey bar.  Some of my other relatives likes those flameouts.  Steak medium to medium-well depending on cut and mood on the homemade grill attachment to that same firepit. 
  Joelene
  •  

Pippa

The secret of a good barbi is to first part cook the meat in an oven and finish it over the fire.   This prevents the salmonella inducing crispy on the outside but raw on the inside experience.    A good sweet for the embers is to get a banana slit it lengthways in its skin and stick a chocolate flake in the gap.  wrap it in tin foil and leave it for a few minutes in the embers.   Result, banana chocolate gooiness.

Re-reading this comment I suddenly come over all freudian!
  •  

justmeinoz

Could never see the attraction in toasted marshmallows myself.  But then American's can't get their head around a slice of pickled beetroot in the Aussie hamburger.   ???
I use the gas BBQ for steak/sausages/burgers etc, but the Weber for roasts.  Greek Lamb with yoghurt and herb marinade  is magic in it.
Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Devlyn

Pickled beetroot? I've never tried that on a burger, you got me there!
  •  

Devlyn

Joelene, great story, I could almost smell the smoke while I was reading your post!
  •  

LivingInGrey

ah one of the only times in my life I've ever felt comfortable in my skin is when I'm outdoors. Pardon my moment of macho...

The marshmallow is only secondary to the being out of doors itself. I don't mind them burnt to a crisp or lightly toasted either way I can only handle about 3 marshmallows then I'm done.

The part that makes the most difference to me is the company around the fire and of coarse... The fire needs to be big enough that even the good spirits above feel compelled to take a load off and sip on a beverage telling stories to the ones around them. The wood has to be "wild" meaning there's a chance for bugs and bits of moisture in it to pop and crackle like any good fire should. Most of the time when I'm out of doors like that I'll have two fires, one for the group and one for the cooking (or more cooking fires depending on what's cookin and for how many).

gah I hope I get the chance to go out this summer.
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

justmeinoz

Livingin Grey-If you are using an open fire, do you wrap potatoes in foil and do them in the coals as the fire is dying down?  Bit of butter, salt and pepper, Yum!

Tracey- Do US supermarkets sell tinned sliced beetroot?  The genuine Aussie hamburger has to have a fried egg in it too.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Joelene9

Thanks, Tracy!  I'll be up there next month to check on the place. 
Karen,
  Yes, we have canned sliced beets here in the U.S. either plain or pickled. 
  Joelene.
  •  

LivingInGrey

justmeinoz:

When I cook over an open fire I tend to only cook things that don't require a full kitchen (boiled / pan / roasted). I try to keep the tools down to a minimal.

I keep a stock pot, two pans, one pot and some ladles along with a few metal racks for use over a fire. If I'm backpacking I'll only bring with me a pot, ladle and a light weight over fire tripod (though I haven't gone on one of those trips for a while).

(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Clayton

For taste, its charcoal over propane but it takes me longer to the coals burning at the right temp.

The banana chocolate gooiness sounds delicious
  •