Main Menu

And YOUR favorite BAND of all time IS?

Started by Lacey Lynne, April 11, 2011, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moxie F.

for me it's Pink Floyd. Give the the album The Wall and I'm happy ^.^
  •  

Janet_Girl

Every one of their song just breaks my heart.  So many great love songs.
Ladies and Gentlemen ...

•  

hkgurl1480

Well I am more of a song person then a band person.
If you looked at my favourite 50 songs of all time it would go close to being by 50 different artists.
By their nature a "1 hit wonder" would rarely feature in a favourite band list.

However if I must name one the answer is quite easy:

U2

What's more, they are fabulous live although i would love to see them live in a more intimate setting then a stadium  :)
  •  

tekla

"1 hit wonder"

One hit is one more hit than most bands ever get.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Imadique

I would say Frank Zappa but he had such a constant revolving door of musicians and I don't have a strong preference for any particular line up, so if I had to nail down a more tangible entity -i.e. an actual band, I'd pick King Crimson. Only slightly more tangible I know. I love covering Dinosaur, it's the only one I can pull off solo.
  •  

Randi

After having thought about it, my taste in music depends totally upon what mood i'm in. Right now my fav is Emerson, Lake, & Palmer.

Randi
  •  

tekla

he had such a constant revolving door of musicians ... an actual band, I'd pick King Crimson.

Fripp put as many people through KC as Frank did in his band.
  •  

Moxie F.

Quote from: Imadique on May 21, 2011, 09:02:27 AM
I would say Frank Zappa but he had such a constant revolving door of musicians and I don't have a strong preference for any particular line up, so if I had to nail down a more tangible entity -i.e. an actual band, I'd pick King Crimson. Only slightly more tangible I know. I love covering Dinosaur, it's the only one I can pull off solo.

look at my signature :p
  •  

JungianZoe

I really do love the early incarnations of King Crimson (up to the album Red), but not a big fan of anything after that, to be honest.

As for my fav, I can't pick between the two bands I go to in every situation, who I've listened to almost daily for 20 years and yet never tire: Saint Etienne and The Beatles.
  •  

Imadique

Quote from: tekla on May 21, 2011, 09:09:54 AM
he had such a constant revolving door of musicians ... an actual band, I'd pick King Crimson.

Fripp put as many people through KC as Frank did in his band.

I know, but the particular formations lasted a bit longer. Also the difference I see between calling King Crimson more of a band than any of Zappa's backing groups is...well that's it. Zappa always had a backing group, after the early Mothers it was always distinctly him no matter who was playing. KC seemed to act more as a unit with more influence from the members at the time. Plus the core of Fripp and Belew lasted quite a while (think they're still going?).

Quote from: Moxie F.

look at my signature :p

Definitely one of the most quotable musicians there ever was.
  •  

Ribbons

Flyleaf, maybe Frou Frou too.

I've never cared much for the "classic" Rock bands honestly; not my type of Rock.
  •  

Nurse With Wound

All time favourite would have to be Natural Snow Buildings.

The French duo generally make drone music and folk music, albums tend to gracefully switch between the two styles from their long chilled out drone pieces and eerie sometimes depressing folk-esque songs.

Best album: The Dance of the Moon and the Sun

Scaring away, my ghosts.
  •  

tekla

I'm going to start a new thread.  "Favorite" of all time tends to get the same people over and over of course - they are the big stars.  If you're Floyd or AC, you've sold fifty million copies of one work, you're going to be on a lot of fav charts.

But lets try this for a more interesting list - So, who do you think the most criminally underrated bands are?

•  

Padma

The Chameleons come to mind. They should have been huge.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Nurse With Wound

Quote from: tekla on July 09, 2011, 08:50:24 AM
I'm going to start a new thread.  "Favorite" of all time tends to get the same people over and over of course - they are the big stars.  If you're Floyd or AC, you've sold fifty million copies of one work, you're going to be on a lot of fav charts.

But lets try this for a more interesting list - So, who do you think the most criminally underrated bands are?
Most of my favourites probably. I mean they're not completely obscure because if you're a big fan of music you've probably at least heard of Natural Snow Buildings or drone music. Though to the main populace of the world they wouldn't even think of listen to music like drone and other less mainstream styles.

To me it's not really a question of underrated artists, but underrated genres since there's so many genres out there and yet to hear them you actually have to do some research and "explore" music which leaves most people oblivious to them. Then underrated artists within the different genres.
Scaring away, my ghosts.
  •  

Amazon D

I liked the following two groups which should have made it much bigger in their time.

"silver Apples" ==>  http://www.scaruffi.com/vol2/silverap.html#title   
http://www.silverapples.com/ 

and

"gun" which had two other albums "gun sight" and "son of a gun" ==> http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/gun
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Dark Angel

VNV Nation would be my all time favourite.  :angel:

•  

tekla

Yeah, I was just trying to be on that casual, first name basis with them big rock bands, you know, which one's Pink?  And Back in Black has sold 49/50 million copies to date, a few million more than Floyd's Dark Side, but less than half of what Thriller sold.
  •