Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Finding the right path

Started by Valeriedances, April 11, 2011, 10:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valeriedances

Can someone recommend how to find a teacher or temple? I have read some books and listened to some of the more public Buddhist speakers lectures. I am confused on the best approach in moving forward to active meditation and growth.

There is a Tibetan temple nearby where I live, led by two Tibetan monks who fled Tibet in 1960. Their site lists the teachers background and lineage. How do I know if they are good teachers?

Also, if anyone can recommend some Buddhist forums I could join, that would be wonderful.

Thanks. With love,

Valerie
  •  

Padma

I think it's a bit like with therapists - just because someone is a good teacher doesn't mean they're a good teacher for you (one of the reasons whey there are so many different kinds of Buddhism and teachings is that there are so many different kinds of people!). So I'd say go and meet them, see how you get on. There's no substitute for good face to face communication.

As for online resources, there's masses of stuff out there - one site worth checking out is http://www.freebuddhistaudio.com which hosts a whole load of audio talks on Buddhism and meditation. But that's just one point on a very broad spectrum. I hope you meet some good people.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Jacelyn

For Tibetan tradition, if you don't want to waste time (a matter of decades to lifetime), focused on Nyingma and dzogchen only. Make sure the teacher have solid background and authentic lineage.

For someone new to buddhism, don't waste your time judging teacher based on your personal preference, or what you feel when meet the teacher. A good teacher is not strong at public relation, contrary is usually the case with teacher with questionable background and intent. A teacher with few words, or sometime act opposite to what one would expect, does not mean anything. In other words, its very hard to judge a teacher other than his background and list of authoritative persons behind him (in the mist of ignorance, this background is assurance that the teacher is at least qualified). Unless one is already more advanced in buddhism, where it is possible to spot a teacher from within mist of unlikely places. Also for gaining initiation and transmission, an authentic lineage is more important than the teacher's style of teaching, as you would spent most of your time practicing the teaching after receiving the authorization, than spending time with the teacher. Unless you are intending on serving a certain teacher full time, but then you are not the only one who can decide whether the arrangement is possible.

In my opinion, an unmoderated buddhist newsgroup such as alt.religion.buddhism is ideal for buddhist discussion and dharma debate, they have been active even before 1998 when I first involved up to the present. There are later formation of moderated forum with authoritative newsgroup figure (such as Namdrol) as mentioned, but discussion tends to be very limited as nyingma and dzogchen is not an open teaching.
  •  

justmeinoz

Depends what school of Buddhism you are looking for I guess.  When I was a lot younger I read something describing the main ones.

Theravada was like a path slowly winding it's way up a holy mountain to the shrine at the top.
Tibetan Mahayana was like a cable car going up.
Zen was free climbing straight up.
Shin (Pure Land) was sitting in a rocket at the bottom, going through a long countdown before blasting off to the top.  They all get there eventually if the follower  doesn't give up.

It's a matter of what suits you best, and which you are more comfortable with.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Jacelyn

QuoteShin (Pure Land) was sitting in a rocket at the bottom, going through a long countdown before blasting off to the top.

A rocket would not be appropriate for pureland vehicle. There are many differences in the major Tibetan sects. But a rocket would only be used for the peak of all the vehicles -- nyingma dzogchen, and even then it may be too slow for some as this is an instantaneous path rather than gradual if taken on its own. Personally I would take rocket as analogy for Tibetan Highest Tantra, and a particle transport machine (if we had one) to the peak of nyingma teaching.

Zen is a Japanese modified version of chinese ch'an, which has the basis [of scriptural lineage] in the Platform Sutra and related to Diamond Sutra, but whose physical lineage has ceased. Modern day Zen missed the point entirely by attachment to quietude.
  •  

Jacelyn

Since Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche is a close student of the late Dudjom Rinpoche, the main representative of the ancient lineage, this connection is especially auspicious. I remember Namdrol mentioned his name many years ago.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Valerie,

::) There's an old Buddhist saying "When the student is ready-the teacher 'WILL' appear!"

Be patient...if Buddhism is right for you the teacher will appear...

In the mean time study up on the Four Noble Truths and the Eight Fold Path, look at each through the eyes of Dharma teachers from different schools...

Then just go with your natural flow which will eventually lead you to where you are meant to be...

Happy Mindfulness

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •