Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

So, what's it like to take estrogen?

Started by -CRaSH-, April 19, 2011, 07:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowpaw

With the other meds I take. It's like in the words of Randall Skeffington. "Like a rainbow... wrapped in a screaming orgasm."
  •  

Jamie D

Estroven is an herbal supplement of dubious transitional value.

Go see a doctor or gender therapist first.
  •  

kathy bottoms

Thanks CRaSH for starting this thread.  I had a bad afternoon and reading this made me think about where I started, and who I was so many years ago.  In my twenties I fanisized in my own thoughts with the same questions about taking birth control to see if it would help how I felt.  There were no forums to turn to back then, and the library didn't carry the kind of books I needed to read.  So ask all the questions that you think need to be answered.  Then, after you get the answers to your questions, be very honest with yourself about where you're going. 

Kathy
  •  

spx_1112

•  

Lyric

Thanks for the interesting post, Ian and welcome to Susan's. Personally, I would not use such drugs without them being prescribed by my doctor, but firsthand accounts such as yours are certainly interesting to hear.

This is another example of reviving an old thread that was well worth bringing back. There's a goldmine of worthwhile info in Susan's vault here.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Incarlina

I've heard a lot of people describing HRT as a fog lifting or a filter being removed from the world.
My analogy is that it was like having lived my entire life with a radio playing white noise. After all these years I didn't know how loud the noise was until I got the medication that turned the radio off. Suddenly there was no white noise in my head, and I could finally hear myself think.
The filter analogy works for me as well, but for other reasons. Before coming out it was like there was a filter between me and everyone else; there was something about me no one knew, and I couldn't talk about. So that created a filter (or a gap) between me and the outside world.
Diagnosis [X] Hormones [X] Voice therapy [X] Electrolysis [/] FT [X] GRS [ ]
Warning: Any metaphors in the above post may be severely broken.
  •  

JessicaSondelli

Quote from: AmySmiles on April 19, 2011, 08:40:59 PM

Well, compared to how I feel now, that's how my entire life felt before.  I've always been a very intelligent person.  Even though we didn't officially have one, I was salutatorian of my high school class.  I've been through college and have a good job.  But never in my life did I actually care about anything.  I had no will to live, no ambition, no hopes, and no dreams.  I just went along with what everyone else wanted for me.  Estrogen flipped a switch in my head and now I want to do so many things I will probably never finish them all.  I guess you could say it made my life worth living again at a time when I was seriously thinking about suicide.

I just came across this very old post and what AmySmiles wrote here 5 years ago is exactly how I've been living the past few years: No ambition, no hopes, no dreams. Plus, I've been a terrible dad and husband to my family due to all this - I was just running my life on Auto Pilot.

There is just one way now... HRT.

Love
-J

Feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help, don't be shy... :)
  •  

Debstar

Hi all, every one is talking about the wonderful effects of HRT on brain chemistry. I was wondering is this true or more of a placebo effect?

I'm pre everything so do not know, but wonder if the liberating feeling from dysphoria comes from that and other aspects of transition for example comming out, self acceptance, a feeling of moving forward finally.

I guess for me I would like to know does the feeling of welbeing persist 5 - 10 - 20 years on?

Thanks.

Debs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

•  

KayXo

I think there's a little of both. It's pretty clear from studies that estrogen has beneficial effects on the psyche (and progesterone) BUT psychosocial factors also play a role, a very important role (support group, how well you pass, if you love yourself, employment status, lifestyle habits, etc). It's not just about hormones.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Adena

Quote from: Incarlina on October 30, 2013, 06:48:12 PM
I've heard a lot of people describing HRT as a fog lifting or a filter being removed from the world.
My analogy is that it was like having lived my entire life with a radio playing white noise. After all these years I didn't know how loud the noise was until I got the medication that turned the radio off. Suddenly there was no white noise in my head, and I could finally hear myself think.
The filter analogy works for me as well, but for other reasons. Before coming out it was like there was a filter between me and everyone else; there was something about me no one knew, and I couldn't talk about. So that created a filter (or a gap) between me and the outside world.

I haven't started HRT but I do already identity with this. There is significant emotional benefit for me for coming to terms with my gender identity and the increasing freedom to express myself.
  •  

stephaniec

•  

Serenation

like the day you stop putting 91 into a fuel tank that has a 95+ warning.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •