Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Bigots think they're justified in their hate

Started by sascraps, May 15, 2011, 04:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniar

Quote from: Julie Marie on May 25, 2011, 05:42:31 AM
Hatred and bigotry are borne out of ignorance.  Ignorance is a choice.

Most people choose to remain ignorant because learning is too much work.  But they can't accept that they are lazy and therefore ignorant because they are lazy, so they have to blame someone else.

Well said.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Julie Marie

In another thread I talked about growing up Catholic and in the process "learning" that Paganism is equivalent to devil worship.

Years later I learned the truth about the Pagan belief and it was almost the complete opposite of what I had grown up to believe.  Had I not been open to accepting the truth, it would have been a lot of work to deprogram myself and allow the new, and correct, definition of Paganism to become part of my accepted knowledge.

So when I say, for many, letting go of their hatred is a lot of work, I'm talking about the process of 1) ignoring the BS, 2) deprogramming yourself from the conditioning that led to hating and 3) educating yourself with the truth.  That can require a lot of time and effort.  And if you haven't had a life changing experience, such as suddenly being the target of bigotry (like what happens to many of us when we transition), there really isn't a lot of motivation to put in that work. 

Why?  It doesn't concern me.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •