Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Taoism

Started by PidgeTPN, May 21, 2011, 05:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeworshipper

i just saw a football player guy walk out of a car into a small house
with a baby in a baby carrier thing, he yelled out something about
"the game" his red jersey said conspicuously 'Dowe'... it was both
saddening, and sad
a sad,  sad day for tao

how far our misconceptions have taken us

total fail
  •  

PidgeTPN

First of all, the definition of religion states that there is a higher power, therefore if there is no defined higher power then it cannot be a religion. It is a belief at that point. Claiming that Taoism is a religion is like claiming that all religions and beliefs are exactly the same. I worship no God, therefore I have no relgion. And technically being "devout" as a Taoist is possible, by this I mean those who make a point to live Taoist daily and consiously. I do not try hard enough to find The Way, nor do I actively seek the balance in my life. Some would claim, due to these things, that I would not be a true Taoist. That would be like claiming that if one does not go to church, then they're not real Christians.

Either way, don't try to claim that Taoism is a religion, and don't accuse someone of bending The Way to suit themselves as that's not even possible.
  •  

sylvannus

To be natural is enough. Why seek perfection? There is no real perfection. Believer or not? The Tao never calls for faith or worship, thus, it never identifies people into believers or not like Christians or Muslims. Tao is just a way of living, a way of how people see the world, it is more like a philosophy. Taoism never needs people to label themselves because everything and everyone have their unique way. Always stay comfortable and natural and do not force yourself. Slow down, life is to be enjoyed. 今子有大树,患其无用,何不树之于无何有之乡,广莫之野,彷徨乎无为其侧,逍遥乎寝卧其下。不夭斤斧,物无害者,无所可用,安所困苦哉!{You have a large tree and are troubled because it is of no use - why do you not plant it in a tract where there is nothing else, or in a wide and barren wild? There you might saunter idly by its side, or in the enjoyment of untroubled ease sleep beneath it. Neither bill nor axe would shorten its existence; there would be nothing to injure it. What is there in its uselessness to cause you distress?}

Anyway, an English translation never reaches its original charms. Just like an English Bible is in no compare with its Latin version.

OK... Am I a Taoist, or am I a believer? Is it a religion? I just do not know, and the natural existence will not become any different because of our labeling.. 名者,实之实也。{The label is but the guest of the reality.}
  •  

Kia

In one of John Blofeld's books about his visitation to Taoist hermitages and temples in the thirties there's a really nice coversation he with one of the monks at a larger temple. The temple has this large hall with statues of Lao Tzu and the the Yellow Emperor where the local peasants come and worship or pay their respects to these venerated figures. The monk tells Mr. Blofeld that they provide this space because some people are incapable of understanding or struggle with the intricacies of the Tao and it's vastness so having these quasi-divines for people to focus on and emulate helps them catch glimpses of the totality of the Tao.

I think it's also important to consider that Taoism incorporated a whole bunch of local folk religion across china just like how Buddhism subsumed the traditional Tibetan Bon religion to create what we know as Tibetan Buddhism.  Taoism does not require belief, faith, gods, or anything else, as sylvannus eloquently put it "To be natural is enough.". However Taoism doesn't disallow these things. If having a god or team of spirits help you in realizing and living the Tao then that's cool. 
  •  

DogSpirit

Quote from: Anatta on May 28, 2011, 03:34:25 PM

"I simply follow the nature of the water."

Nice story, Anatta. And that's Taoism in a nutshell, isn't it: follow the nature of water.

-- Sue
===============================================
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
-- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"
  •