Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Feelings without the feeler...

Started by Anatta, June 03, 2011, 01:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) The aim of this post is to get members[if they are not already doing so] to think a little outside the square they call "Self"...Not an easy task to perform, but it can be done...

It would seem some members here have recently had their "feelings" hurt...I realise many [including some post op members] are still struggling and are in a somewhat "fragile" state...

From a Buddhist perspective, the more one "feels" their feelings are hurt by what's been said by others, is an indication  of the level of  "attachment" one has to a false sense of "self" ... Some might think but being sensitive is a good thing, it means one has "empathy", but in this case all that's really happening is one is trying to cling to a sense of a ever changing self which in the long run will only bring more sadness to their lives...Once one understands what is meant by "attachment" one will realise empathy and caring for other sentient beings is still important, but one should not "attach" themselves to these feelings...

If you ask yourself "Who or what is it that "feels" this?" You will find there's nothing you can point to that holds these feelings...In other words all they are, are feelings minus the feeler...It might sound weird at first but after you "let go", it will come to you and your life will be much better for it...

Some members who read the captions above and below the photo and the signature may only see what they "feel" are pointless/meaningless words of a spiritual nature...But in reality what you read is how I've learnt to live life...It's taken many years to reach this level of contentment, it's not perfect because there's always room for improvement...

::)  So attempt to seek out the feeler of ones feelings and in doing so you will gradually begin to let go and find the peace and contentment you all truly deserve...

Happy Mindfulness :)

Metta Zenda :)  PS I hope this all makes sense or better still "non-sense"...
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

LightlyLuke

I frequently whisper "Ego! Ego! Ego!" to myself as a reminder to not cling to that whining self. "Stories!" is another mental whisper, when I find my brain taking some idea and running with it, creating a fictitious reaction.

Letting go is truly the easier path to walk.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Valerie & Luke

::) As Luke said, it's a good idea when one starts to feel discontented about something to gently  remind oneself with an ego alert "The ego has landed!"...What I mean by discontented is when one feels either over the moon about something or angry , either way this throws ones contentment level out of balance...

Valerie, in regards to "suffering" because of one "self"...There are two ways[well possible more but two will do for now] how to go about eliminating this false  sense of self that's the cause of your suffering...

The first way is "self discipline". Through meditation one begins to break down all the components which make up what one believes is the "self"...These are the five aggregates of " Form" "Sensation" "Perception" "Mental Formation" and "Consciousness"...Once you have experienced the empty nature of things then with practice you can apply it to any situation...

However if one  "feels" that  having to explore these five aggregates is too difficult a task, then by practicing "altruism" will also eventually lead one to the same level of contentment...The more one practices "altruism" the more the sense of self is reduced/dissolved...And ones level of contentment will in a "sense" be fixed...

When I "introduce" my "self" to meditation practice each day I start with taking refuge in the three Jewels "The Buddha"[An "Awaken" mind] The Dharma"[The true nature of things] and "The Sangha" [ Being in the company of "like Minded" people]

"Through an awaken mind I find refuge!" "In the true nature of things I take refuge !"  "Amongst the like minded there's refuge!"

I know this is all easier said than done, but the important thing to focus upon is the long term benefits that come from having a mind that just "Goes with the flow of things" and most importantly always heading in the "right" direction...

Happy Mindfulness=being mindful is what life's all about!       

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

kate durcal

I need my pain and feelings, they enhance my situational awareness, they increase my drive, make me hungry, they give me stamina, hope, and desire. They make me human, they keep my Vulcan mind from overtaking me to content and bliss.

Sabbath Shalom,

Kate D
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Kate,

::) But who is this "me" you speak of ? Can you identify/pinpoint what you mean by "me" ?

•  

kate durcal

We are many right? One of me is the human driven by pain and feelings, the one that pulls the cart. The other is the Vulcan, the mystic, the one to talk to G-d (ein soft), the

Shalom

Kate D
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Kate,

::) There's nothing wrong with feelings just so long as one doesn't become too "attached" to them...

You might find this interesting, Venerable Piyasilo[a Malaysian monk's] take on "Being your true self"

NO UNCHANGING, PERMANENT SELF
"There is no single unified, completely integrated self that is continually operative inside us. We can even say that we are each a collection of selves, each of which is fighting for supremacy, and this explains why we so often fail to do the things we have set out to do.

Another way of looking at this situation is that we are always going through an everchanging process without any unchanging, permanent self. We are but the totality of this "bundle" of selves, which are often in conflict with one another. It is as if we were a bundle of selfs loosely tied together by the thin string of personality with' a label bearing our name and address.

GETTING "ON THE LEVEL" WITH OURSELVES

In order to harmonize our various conflicting "selves", we should learn to know ouRSELVES better. This is done through the practice of awareness, of which there are four aspects: the awareness of oneself, of others, of the environment, and of the truth. The awareness of oneself is best cultivated through the practice• of meditation. Such meditation methods, like the Mindfulness of Breathing, helps us become more calm and more aware of ourselves. When we reach a state of mental calm during such a practice, we are said to have reached "horizontal integration" - we are "on the level" with ourselves.

"VERTICAL -INTEGRATION"

As we become more and more of ourselves, we get a clearer understanding and experience of other people and our environment. We begin to see our untapped energies and enjoy our own higher potentiality. Our consciousness be-comes more and more developed. This is call-ed "vertical integration", that is, the integration of our conscious mind with the Unconscious (or the "higher mind").

As our consciousness becomes more and more developed, our experience of things begins to deepen and the horizon of our thoughts begins to widen. People and things around us no more delude us, but appear as they really are. No more do we see merely the surface of things, but we begin to "see through" them!"

Happy Mindfulness

•  

kate durcal

Kia Ora Zenda,

Agree with what you posted  to some degree, I learn about that when I was in my teen and deeply involved in Lamaism -after reading the third eye- I believe I have surpass the level we are talking about, and we (all of Me) are at peace. I have visited all the rooms in my castle and exorcize most of my demons.

I am looking forward to the time when I will live in a city next to an ocean, so I can go and see the sun set every evening. Right now putting my 4 kids in college is my foremost goal. I enjoy your posting very much and good energies that come with them.

Love,

Kate
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on June 04, 2011, 03:37:48 AM
Kia Ora Zenda,

Agree with what you posted  to some degree, I learn about that when I was in my teen and deeply involved in Lamaism -after reading the third eye- I believe I have surpass the level we are talking about, and we (all of Me) are at peace. I have visited all the rooms in my castle and exorcize most of my demons.

I am looking forward to the time when I will live in a city next to an ocean, so I can go and see the sun set every evening. Right now putting my 4 kids in college is my foremost goal. I enjoy your posting very much and good energies that come with them.

Love,

Kate

Kia Ora Kate,

Thanks....

::) I'm glad you have exorcised most of your demons - The goal now is making sure there's no safe haven left for them...That is, no sense of  "self" left for them to cling to....

•  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on June 05, 2011, 11:15:09 PM
Kia Ora Kate,

Thanks....

::) I'm glad you have exorcised most of your demons - The goal now is making sure there's no safe haven left for them...That is, no sense of  "self" left for them to cling to....

How would we achieve that?
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on June 06, 2011, 03:20:26 PM
How would we achieve that?

Kia Ora Kate,

::) Through "Self discipline" "Insight meditation"... Practice makes perfect !

•  

kate durcal

Could you expand on "insight meditation?"
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Kate,

::) In a nutshell....

It's an holistic approach to developing well being, awareness of the moment to moment activity of the mind, and when applied in everyday life insight meditation leads to happiness and release from anguish,  :eusa_wall:  :icon_confused2:  confusion  and stress.  :icon_yikes:

It's aim is to cultivate a sense of inner knowing in the practitioner, along with personal responsibility.

A regular insight meditation practice produces a sense of strength and independence, as we come to see the way things are clearly for ourselves.  :icon_yes:

When practicing this form of meditation we develop mindfulness – a positive quality of awareness that frees us from our habitual feelings and reactions and assists us in being more fully open to the aliveness of each moment.

On this journey of self discovery it awakens a heartfelt respect for all life and naturally promotes self-acceptance and peacefulness.

However if you really want to find out more then I would suggest you have a look at this link

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe7.html

You have nothing to lose but your "self" and you will find you never really had a "self" to lose to begin with !

I tend to push meditate meditation Kate like a drug dealer, I experience it's benefits every moment of the day...And if it came in pill form it would be the most popular "drug" on the market...{I'm working on a pill form as we speak...}  ;)

Happy Mindfulness

•