World Professional Association for Transgender Health
The World Professional Association for Transgender Health, (WPATH) formerly known as the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, Inc. (HBIGDA) is a professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders. WPATH's policies and standards of ethics have not changed appreciably since the organization's name was changed.
As an international multidisciplinary professional Association the mission of WPATH is to promote evidence based care, education, research, advocacy, public policy and respect in transgender health.
The vision of WPATH is to expand its worldwide authority by promoting education, advocacy, training, research, quality health care and best practice standards for service providers and policy makers regarding gender variant individuals.
Goals and Tasks
As an international interdisciplinary, professional organization, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) will work to further the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders by professionals in medicine, psychology, law, social work, counseling, psychotherapy, family studies, sociology, anthropology, sexology, speech and voice therapy, and other related fields.
WPATH provides opportunities for professionals from various subspecialties to communicate with each other in the context of research and treatment of gender identity disorder including sponsoring biennial scientific symposia.
WPATH publishes the Standards of Care (February 20, 2001) and Ethical Guidelines (November, 2000), which articulate a professional consensus about the psychiatric, psychological, medical, and surgical management of gender identity disorders, and help professionals understand the parameters within which they may offer assistance to those with these conditions.
- Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, predecessor of the association
- Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People
- International Journal of Transgenderism, official journal of the association
- WPATH official website
- WPATH Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People (7th Edition)
- WPATH Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders, Sixth Version
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "World Professional Association for Transgender Health"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles