Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

No, really? A bee sting?

Started by Renate, July 20, 2009, 08:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renate

There is a program on ABC about someone who transitioned to female.
Although they had Klinefelter Syndrome, the event that "reset their endocrine system" was a bee sting.

QuoteChloe says the doctors told them that the severity of the sting had essentially reset Ted's endocrine system, according to Chloe.
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/MindMoodNews/story?id=7994521&page=1

Um, does this sound like fantasy or what?
Most people have to take thousands of pills to get the desired results.
Is this simply denying personal responsibility?
Was the bee personally responsible for the subsequent SRS?

Enquiring minds want to know!
  •  

ginger39

That does sound like fantasy, grasping at straws or just plain pulling something out of their .....

Really, any doctor who would proclaim something like that without any evidence to back them up seems rather insane. Wouldn't want that person to be my doctor.
  •  

Zelane

Hoping not to get killed by some.

That you are intersex (like the person in this story XXY) doesnt mean you WILL had gender issues. Can happens but its not a rule.

An XXY can have a female or male gender, just like many of the persons in this forum. Its NOT a justification.
  •  

Renate

Of course most people with Klinefelter Syndrome don't have gender identity issues.
Moreover, we only have this person's word for it that they have this.
What ER does chromosome tests anyway?

Still, let's not go overboard on this.
Remember, Peter Parker turned into Spider-Man just from the bite of one spider.
  •  

ginger39

If I remember correctly back from taking and teaching Genetics as a grad assistant Klinefelter's syndrome is characterized by certain body parts not growing correctly. Now that could lead to low testosterone levels which I guess could realistically affect ones gender identity. It can also cause breast enlargement and a lack of muscle tone. Probably would have more cells express female characteristics as well. Might effect number of sweat glands, etc. This leads me to believe the ER doctor was a kook.
  •  

Zelane

KS in some strong cases can made the body to develop in a female form when going trough puberty. Then if that person's gender its male... well you can guess he will feel and face a tiny bit of what FTM have to deal with.
  •  

Jaimey

I saw that.  The only thing I can think of is that because she is allergic to bees, her system took a huge shock and began to feminize, which, from what she said, was a welcome change and she took advantage of the situation to physically become who she was on the inside.

But we aren't her, so who are we to question, right?  ;)
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

GinaDouglas

I was very skeptical of this too.  We didn't see an actual doctor on the show, we just had Chloe and Renee's word for it.

I see several other possibilities:

Chloe was self medicating and lied about it.  Renee admitted that she didn't know Chloe had spent $70,000 on her transition, because "Chloe is in charge of the finances."  Chloe said that, when she was in her teens, she had a PO Box to get clothing in secret.  It's not such a stretch to think that maybe Chloe had a PO Box to recieve hormones through the internet, and took them without Renee's knowledge.

2) The treatment for the bee sting is what reset Chloe's immune system, not the sting itself.  Maybe the doctors gave her big doses of steroids.  If you think about it in terms of a potential malpractice case - a man gets stung by a bee, has an allergic reaction and grows boobs.  What is the doctor going to say, it was the treatment that caused it, or it was the patient's reaction to the bee sting?
It's easier to change your sex and gender in Iran, than it is in the United States.  Way easier.

Please read my novel, Dragonfly and the Pack of Three, available on Amazon - and encourage your local library to buy it too! We need realistic portrayals of trans people in literature, for all our sakes
  •  

Lori

She must have found the hive.....

"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

Fenrir

Quote from: Lori on July 23, 2009, 07:20:39 AM
She must have found the hive.....

WOAH  :o
She must have to wear a backpack filled with rocks all the time to even be able to stand up! :laugh: That must wreck your balance no end...

Yeah, that story sounds a bit dodgy to me too. I reckon he lied about having Klinefelter's (no idea if I spelt that correctly) and took hormones he got off the internet in secret.  :(
  •  

extremeunction

As someone with Klinefelter Syndrome I'm amused by some of the responses to this post. To say that people with Klinefelter's don't have gender issues is naive at best. Having belonged to various Klinefelter or XXY support groups, gender or lack of a clear one is of great concern. You must understand we're not "females trapped in male bodies" we can see the feminine attributes just by looking in the mirror. Enlarged breasts and hips, lack of muscle tone or body hair and low testosterone has made our lives difficult and sometimes impossible. I still have gender issues and straddling the fence between male & female is my choice for now. The Klinefelter diagnosis in many ways was a godsend for it explained a lot about who I am and who I still might be. Knowledge is power.

Thanks for listening,
  •  

GinaDouglas

Did you see the documentary?  Did Chloe as a male look like somebody who had Klinefelter?
It's easier to change your sex and gender in Iran, than it is in the United States.  Way easier.

Please read my novel, Dragonfly and the Pack of Three, available on Amazon - and encourage your local library to buy it too! We need realistic portrayals of trans people in literature, for all our sakes
  •  

tekla

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Syne

I know someone who was on high doses of HRT meds and was barely in femme range. Then something tragic happened and she was lucky to be alive. Her "equipment" remained in tact but 6 mos after being discharged from the hospital her estrogen counts were in femme range and she no longer needed the estradiol since her body was naturally producing estrogen.
  •  

Julie Marie

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

SusanBrei

This program means a lot to me personally, as a transwoman. I'm slightly older than she was when she began transition, but it warms the heart to see her looking so good, and so happy, post transition. Very cool! I, too, have my doubts about her Klinefelter's story. There are things that do not ring true about it. First, she had kids, which is highly unlikely with Klinefelters. Second, I don't think your entire hormonal system can be "reset". Your gonads make the majority of your sex hormones, and even if her testes stopped producing testosterone all together, her body would not be producing enough estrogen on its own to allow her to feminize to this degree. Third, its not common for a hospital to check your genome following a blood test/bee sting treatment. Now, someone can have XXY without having full Klinefelter's Syndrome, and it may be the case that she had a late-onset, but even then, many boys who grow up with the syndrome do not look THAT feminine. They have less facial hair, slightly wider hips, and some breast development, but they still look relatively male. I personally understand how the pressure that society places on you to NOT transition, to be "normal" and attempt to accept your body and circumstances can entice you to tell "white lies". If one can concoct a scientifically plausible story to justify transition and take the responsibility off their shoulders, it'd be fairly seductive to do so. I just hate to think that her story is worrying little boys with KF (or their parents), who might think they're going to have womanhood forced on them in adulthood if they get in an accident. Lies have a way of doing collateral damage...
  •  

Nigella

WOW, that was it, I had a huge wasp nest in my loft about 17 years ago and I decided to get rid of it by getting a long broom handle and standing in the loft opening on the ladder smash the nest. You can guess what happened, the wasps went crazy they were even spitting venom out their stings dancing on the rafters, they were mad, I also got stung several times around the neck and arms even though I had put plenty of layers of clothing on.

Was a silly thing to do but I couldn't afford to get someone in to deal with it. They didn't come back though but it did give me gender dysphoria and boobs, lol, na, only joking.

WOW now I have an excuse. It was the wasps way back then.

Stardust
  •  

Hermione01

QuoteI just hate to think that her story is worrying little boys with KF (or their parents), who might think they're going to have womanhood forced on them in adulthood if they get in an accident. Lies have a way of doing collateral damage...

I agree. 

A friend's sister is living with a guy who has Klinefelter syndrome and he does not have any intentions of transitioning or feel he is really a woman.
People making up stories.... again.  Urgh!
  •  

Shang

I don't really know what to make of this story.  I know bee stings and spider bites can sometimes trigger someone's nervous system to kick back into gear--there was an article about a man who was paralyzed and was bitten by a spider and the venom triggered everything to react and he's now walking again and I'm fairly certain the story wasn't a hoax (and my dad would tell me, because of my nerve damage, that I should go get bitten by a spider to see if it would work for me, too...as if I would do that, spiders scare the hell out of me).  Anyway, enough with the rant.  I don't really think this is possible, but it would be kind of neat if it was.
  •  

Dana Lane

I saw this a while back and from my recollection she got stung by a bee then went to the doctor where they then tested her and found she had xxy chromosomes.  Personally I am a bit skeptical of that diagnosis. How on earth could getting stung by a bee cause you to get your chromosomes tested? Of course we will never know because we won't see medical records but who knows. If in fact she isn't xxy and using that as an excuse to justify her transsexuality then that is a problem. It is a cop out (if it isn't true). We may never know.
============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •