Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Postponing Legal Papers . . .

Started by gina_taylor, September 13, 2005, 11:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmyNYC

IMO, anybody who claims to be a transsexual and doesn't get their name changed at the earliest possible moment obviously needs to re-think the whole transition thing.  Of course, I suppose that's why a name change should be a requirement for the RLT.  And yes, like in Gina's situation, I understand that sometimes you can really want the name change but can't get it yet, like if you're not out to your boss yet.  But I don't think the RLT should start until you change it.

I changed my name in Alabama.  It was $57 dollars, and literally took five minutes.  I walked into the Probate Court Clerk's office, handed the secretary my Driver's License, told her what I wanted and my new name, she filled in the blanks on the name change petition on her computer, I signed a couple of times, and I was done.  I immediately went next door and changed my driver's license, then next door to change my car title & registration.  And everybody in the Courthouse was very nice to me.

My name has been changed almost everywhere.  In fact, as i just came out at work on Wednesday, my boss just gave me my first check in my new name last night.  The only thing I'm waiting for is one credit card company and my passport.  The credit card company is taking their dear sweet time changing my name.  They've had the documents for over a month now, and they told me it will probably be another month before it gets changed.  I think I'm going to close the accounts before they change it, just to make a point.  Every other credit card took only a week from the time the got the documents.

Oh, and a warning about legal offices who do name changes.  I found one who said they could do mine.  They said it was $157, and they made it seem like they were doing all this work.  I'm glad I researched it first, and found out how easy it was.  Basically they wanted $100 for the five minutes I spent at the courthouse.  Of course, it's not so easy in every state.

Amy
  •  

Cassandra

I'd definitely close out that credit card Amy. If they take this long with the name, how long are they going to take on a real problem like somebody stealing your card?

Cassie
  •  

Kimberly

Quote from: AmyNYC on September 25, 2005, 12:20:16 PM
IMO, anybody who claims to be a transsexual and doesn't get their name changed at the earliest possible moment obviously needs to re-think the whole transition thing.  ...

Why should legally changing my name be important to me?

My given name is used to reference me perhaps once a month, if that.

My photo ID expired in 1998. I think I used it once. (no joke)

My point is that the importance of the legal name change varies in importance.

It is of next to no importance to me and how I live.
  •  

AmyNYC

Quote from: Kimberly on September 25, 2005, 04:51:20 PM
Why should legally changing my name be important to me?

My given name is used to reference me perhaps once a month, if that.

My photo ID expired in 1998. I think I used it once. (no joke)

My point is that the importance of the legal name change varies in importance.

It is of next to no importance to me and how I live.

I suppose I should remember that some people don't have the same habits that I do...

I use my debit card FOR EVERYTHING, which has my legal name on it.  And for credit card purchases they usually ask for ID.  Writing a check always meant someone seeing my old name, so I just never wrote checks.

I'm 24 and I look younger than that, so if I go out to a bar (to drink or not), I will ALMOST ALWAYS get carded.

I am constantly calling someone about an account I have, whether it's phone, utilities, to get a cable repair man to come, the bank, credit cards, prescription drugs.  Having all this in my new name means I don't have to pretend to be "him" anymore.

To get a library card you have to have a picture ID.  To get a Blockbuster card you have to show a picture ID.  And everytime I went to those places before I changed my name, I had to argue with them that yes, that really was my name.  "But Miss, that's a guy's name.  You shouldn't be using someone else's card."  Going to the doctor, the dentist, the eye doctor... legal name, legal name, legal name. 

What I'm getting at is, unless you live in the foothills of Tinbuktu, the society we live in today is based around your legal identity.  In the six months I lived part-time with my old name, I had to constantly use it, and I was constantly praying nobody would ask to see it.  But I suppose that if you didn't drive a car, had no bank accounts, no credit cards, payed cash for everything, had no phones, no lights or running water or gas heat, and never asked people for any services of any kind, then yes, I can imagine a name change meaning nothing to you.

Aside from the everyday conveniences of life, just knowing my legal name is Amy, and knowing that nobody on the face of the earth can tell me any different is very validating.  Seeing your new, gender-correct name on a passport, driver's license, or whatever else you need really makes what you're doing hit home.  With me, it made me ecstatic.  Going full-time meant nobody would ever think of me as male again.  I can't see that happening if your name is inherently male.

Amy
  •  

AmyNYC

Quote from: Cassandra on September 25, 2005, 04:11:28 PM
I'd definitely close out that credit card Amy. If they take this long with the name, how long are they going to take on a real problem like somebody stealing your card?

Cassie

I had not thought of that Cassandra.  Good point.  I'm definitely closing that account.  I don't need it anyway.  Thanks!

Amy
  •  

Terri-Gene

yeah, well, if one is really serious about transition, it just isn't happening if you keep using a male name and kind of come off as well, this is the way I feel right now in regaqrds to presentation .... it is leaving an "out" and changes the way people see you and relate to you, and if they relate to you in anyway but 100% female, then you are missing the proper interaction to actually transition into anything.

Terri
  •  

alia

damn gals.. That is way to expensive! In Norway name change is free!
  •