Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Postponing Legal Papers . . .

Started by gina_taylor, September 13, 2005, 11:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gina_taylor

I was wondering the other day if it is posible if I could go and get my legal papers for my name changes and when they come in if I could just hold onto them or do I have to immediately put them into action?

I realize that I would like to follow the set rules of the HBSOC, and I haven't yet started RLT, which I know that usually the name change follows afterward.

Gina
  •  

Cassandra

Gina,

As far as filing goes you can fill out the paper work anytime. Once you file them you have to pay the fee. Until you file them no action occurs. The forms could change during the time you hold on to them so that is something you would have to check.

Once filed the judge will usually grant the name change within thirty days. Once this is done you must change your name with all offical agencies and I do believe there is a time limit on that. If you continue to use  your old name after the time frame on such things as drivers license SS cards passports etc. you could potentially run afoul of the law. Be very very careful in this area.

I should note here that you do not have to do a name change in order to do the RLT but it helps. You can go by any name you like as long as you do not use it in a legal venue. If you want a passport that doesn't lead to unwanted questions a name change would make things a little easier. Also it is not a matter of rather you would like to follow the SOC, it is required.

Hope that helps,

Cassie
  •  

Terri-Gene

I do not understand Gina, if you arn't intending to file the papers yet, what is the good of filling them out?  That can be done in minutes at the time you do wish to file them.  As to HBSOC, it doesn't matter when you legally change your name, or even if you do, that is strictly up to you, though some therapysts may not consider your commitment until you do and thus recommend for surgery, I wouldn't worry about most though as long as you meet eligibility and readiness requirements.

If you mean to just obtain them so you have them when you need them, nothing wrong with that at all, providing of course they are current at the time of filing.

Terri
  •  

gina_taylor

Yeah Cassie, I realize about the fee that has to be paid. So it is imperative that I change my name after the Judge has granted it. Don't want to get into any other legal messes.  :(

I realize that I do not have to change my name when I go into the RLT stage, but just due to circumstances, I'd prefer to have everything legalized.

The reason I was thinking of filing the paper now Terri is so that if I were to go into the RLT stage next year I could just pull out the name change papers and change my name and proceed. But I think that my RLT time is coming up a little sooner than expected. :)

Yesterday I was looking on the Internet and I found this one place that is not a law firm that does handle names changes and they can get it done in no time with no hassle. Has anyone ever used or heard of Legal Zoom?

Gina
  •  

Cassandra

I've heard of ZNet, but not Legal Zoom don't know much about them. ZNet offers the paperwork and you just fill in the blanks and file at the courthouse. They don't do anything for you. I'd research them a bit before using though. See if they've been flamed. Check into customer satisfaction, not just the blurbs they put in their ads, etc. There are many attorny's who can do this sort of thing just as inexpensively as the online if you shop around.

There are some legal aid offices that can handle it for you. I don't know how much it is were you are, but were I am it's just a matter of filling out the papers dropping them off at the clerk of the courts office and paying your $60 filing fee. After that you just wait for the papers to arrive in the mail. Usually 30 days depending on the court.
  •  

gina_taylor

Thanks for your reply Cassandra. I will definately keep an open mind about these other places, and I will shop around.  :)

Gina
  •  

Sarah Louise

Hi,

Gee, $60 filing fees, I wish they were that low in California.  It cost $350 to file here in Southern California, then another $60 to put a notice in the newspaper for 6 weeks, then $15 per copy of the final papers (they recommend you get several copies).

I do paralegal work for two lawyers, so I have all the forms on my computer (just for the local counties).

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Here in Ontario it cost's $130.00 Cdn, for the name change and certificate, and then all the other name change documents are free, drivers license, healthcard SSN etc...

Steph
  •  

Dennis

At least you didn't have to get a Canadian Citizenship card changed Steph. $75 and they just told me it would take 5-7 months, during which time I can't leave the country. So much for Christmas in Mexico. Grr.

Dennis
  •  

Leigh

Makes it pretty difficult to do the minimum 1 year RLT without supporting documents.

Without changing everything it is easy to bail out out a week or two when the going gets tough.
  •  

Kimberly

Then again, isn't that is what the RLT is for?
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Dennis on September 14, 2005, 10:54:59 PM
At least you didn't have to get a Canadian Citizenship card changed Steph. $75 and they just told me it would take 5-7 months, during which time I can't leave the country. So much for Christmas in Mexico. Grr.

Dennis

Hmmmmm...  I didn't think of that one.  We are planning on getting our passports renewed very shortly so I imagin that I will have to get my Canadian Citizenship Certificate changed as well.  Four to six months huh, I had better get moving.

As to what Leigh and Kimberly mentioned, it's almost a catch 22.  To properly be on RLT some would say or demand that should have your name changed, however, if during RLT you discover you have made a big mistake, then you are left with changing your name again.

Chat later

Steph.
  •  

Cassandra

Easier to change your name again then your sex, don't you think?

BTW: The expensive name change in California is what you get from a legal system that can be changed willy nilly by letting everyone vote on it. That just breeds chaos. In my State the laws are simple because only the legislature can change the laws and they are slow and reluctant to do so.

Cassie
  •  

stephanie_craxford

QuoteEasier to change your name again then your sex, don't you think?

Not only do I think it's easier to change your name than your sex, I know it's easier, that's the whole purpose of the RLT don't you think?.  I was simply commenting on the issue that Leigh and Kimberly had writen in their posts, and how it would seem like a catch 22 depending on how you looked at it.

Steph. 

•  

Cassandra

QuoteI know it's easier, that's the whole purpose of the RLT don't you think?.

Absolutely Steph!  ;D
  •  

Leigh

What does the R mean in RLT?  Without changing ID there is nothing real about it.

Without having to live with the reality of showing ID for a job, insurance, credit cards, housing, yada yada yada, there is no transition taking place.  There is only the presentation of being female.  No living as one 24/7/365 for better or worse.

The going gets tough why just whip it out (male ID) and duck the issue once again, and again and again.

I make no apologies for thinking that unless a person fully transitions and does honest RLT its just a game.

Leigh
  •  

Cassandra

No need to apologise Leigh. I agree the name change is an essential part of RLT. I would be among those who think it should be a mandatory part of the process. If someone cannot do that then what is it exactly they think they are doing?

Cassie
  •  

Leigh

•  

Thundra

<<<< its just a game.>>>>>

Pop goes the weasel?
  •  

Kimberly

•