Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What's your "Quit" anniversary date?

Started by Tracey, July 05, 2011, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Those of us who have dealt with addiction remember the exact day we broke free. My anniversary date means more to me than my birthday. Let's post our dates so we can give each other a hand. Sober since 3/4/86.
  •  

Vicky

This time through, Oct 10, 2008   You can come back!

First time was Nov 11, 1987, and lasted until sometime in 2005.

Just for those who think if you bomb once, its all over and never again.  SH!!
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Cindy

Fell back after several years.

Trying to give up but not succeeding at the moment (booze).

Cindy
  •  

Preston

September 24, 2008.  ;D ;D

I was addicted to cocaine and entered myself into a rehab facility. It's been hard since I've been living at home again because a lot of my old friends here still dabble in it.
  •  

Amazon D

Dec 4th 1985 was my first NA meeting. The speaker spoke and i took up the rest of the meeting. I had a coacaine problem from a GF who got me addicted after i told her to do it so i cold prove i could quit with willpower. lol i couldn't and went on a 7 month binge from 84 to 85. Thankfully i got caught and handcuffed for 28 days to a bed and that gave me a start. NA gave me the freedom to stay off.

I did start drinking again in 1997 and then quit by 98 so i could transition. That allowed me to be able to resolve my GID issues and well then alcohol wasn't an issue anymore for ME. I actally have almost a case of rm here bt i haven't had any in say 3 months. I tend to use it to ease muscle pain at night before going to bed.

Oh well i also quit smoking ciggs after smoking 3 yrs from 12 to 15 and stayed off ntil i was about 35 and then started but quit within 6 months and then started again in 2006 after a FTM i tried to help offered me some organic roll your own and quit the night before Obama won Iowa primary dec 29th 2007. God told me if i quit he would win and if i stayed quit he would do good things.. so far so good..
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Gretchen

9-24-10 alcohol
8-22-11 nicotine
not sure when I stopped the street drugs but its been many years.
currently using Vicadin but not liking it, one or two once a week to every two weeks, depends on how stupid I am when I try to lift to much.
Keep coming back it works if you work it and I'm worth it. YEA
  •  

Preston

I just wanted to say congrats to everyone on this thread. It's such a difficult thing to overcome and I'm glad we have a place to talk about it here.  :laugh:
  •  

Stephe

I don't remember the date but it was the spring of 1990. No drugs, cigs or alcohol since.  I honestly haven't thought or been even tempted in decades. I don't regret being a "party girl" either but glad I stopped while I was still young and healthy. I don't really consider myself a recovering addict as it's just a non-issue for me. Just something in my past.

One thing I did learn, don't hang out with your old party friends. Wish them well and go find NEW friends who don't do this crap. Those old friends will try to drag you back into their world.
  •  

Preston

Quote from: Stephe on February 20, 2012, 10:40:46 PM
One thing I did learn, don't hang out with your old party friends. Wish them well and go find NEW friends who don't do this crap. Those old friends will try to drag you back into their world.

EXACTLY THIS!!!

I had been living in Boise, Idaho ( I moved there to get away from drugs) for six years. I even quit smoking while I was there. Then I came back to Reno, Nevada (my home town) to live with my folks for a bit and an old friend took me right around it! People were asking if I wanted some and even cutting me lines. So, I took someone's cigarette, smoked the hell out of that cigarette  ;) and then ran (literally ran) away.
  •  

Gretchen

Quote from: Preston on February 20, 2012, 10:51:43 PM
EXACTLY THIS!!!
smoked the hell out of that cigarette  ;) and then ran (literally ran) away.

That's pretty good, had a smoke and ran away, good choice.
Yes, we must stay away from our old playmates and playgrounds. Some days it is really hard not taking a drink, and being trans sure doesn't help any. I know that I had decided that if I could not transition I would start drinking again, so far so good thanks to the god of my understanding.
  •  

schism

oh man, i wish i knew exact dates....

nicotine is around october 2005.  speed would be... around the same time, actually.  haven't taken any other street drugs for years either, but it was speed that i was really addicted to.
  •  

Preston

Yeah, it's really difficult for me to be living in such close proximity to my old friends and playgrounds. I'm staying in my old bedroom where I did the majority of my drugs. (I used alone, mostly). It's rather lonely. But I totally agree with the saying, "My worst day sober is better than my best day high."
  •  

Gretchen

Quote from: Preston on February 21, 2012, 03:50:19 PM
"My worst day sober is better than my best day high."

I struggle with this saying, I know it's true but I have had some pretty good drunks and some really good highs, but when it got towards the end it was nothing but misery. The misery is what I need to remember, I need to remember all the people I hurt including myself. I just have to keep showing up.
  •  

lmgaetjens

July 13 2007 aa

Struggleing with food addiction though
  •  

Felix

I don't think I have a quit date for cigarettes. I still consider myself a smoker, but I just tried to smoke and get the happy industriousness it used to give me when I was being creative, and nothing. It was just nasty and cloying and hurt my lungs. Made me lightheaded. I smoke less than 3 whole cigarettes a month. So idk where I stand. Not sure when it started tasting bad and feeling like a serious drug.

I think I'm not comfortable with black and white cutoffs.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

January 1, 2007  Alcohol.  I had a sever drinking problem when my Father passed.  I was an orphan then and it was hard to bear.

Tobacco.  Several times.  Unfortunately I am still addicted.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Catherine Sarah

26 October 1971, nicotine.

Benson & Hedges went from 35 to 40 cents for a packet of 20. Thought I was being "ripped off". Also attempting to play comp squash. Near death at the end of each game, I knew what I had to do to win.  Cold turkey is just soooooo exciting. And I'm not talking about the feathered variety either.

And you know how bad reformed smokers are now don't you. Scourge of the earth.

I wish everyone continued success in their decisions to better themselves. And encourage and support those still being challenged. I know you can do it.

Be safe, well and happy.
Lotsa huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

LivingInGrey

I think I've tried to quit smoking so many times now that every day of the year minus a few is another anniversary of a failed quit attempt.
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Felix

I don't think I smoke anymore. Like, I can do it when I'm drinking but even then I don't really care. If people around me aren't smoking cigarettes, I don't smoke cigarettes. Even when they are I don't usually have much of an opinion on it.

Drinking, now, well. I like to drink. I've been drinkier this past year than any other time in the last 15 or so. Lol I'll report back if it starts being really unpleasant not to. At the moment when I can't afford to I just switch to eating or exercising more, or reading more books, or playing my daughter's gameboy.

Sex I intend to stay addicted to.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Felix on May 21, 2012, 01:46:30 AM
I don't think I smoke anymore. Like, I can do it when I'm drinking but even then I don't really care. If people around me aren't smoking cigarettes, I don't smoke cigarettes. Even when they are I don't usually have much of an opinion on it.

Drinking, now, well. I like to drink. I've been drinkier this past year than any other time in the last 15 or so. Lol I'll report back if it starts being really unpleasant not to. At the moment when I can't afford to I just switch to eating or exercising more, or reading more books, or playing my daughter's gameboy.

Sex I intend to stay addicted to.

I am waaaaaay proud of you.
  •