Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yet another help topic on clothes

Started by insideontheoutside, July 16, 2011, 11:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insideontheoutside

I'm still struggling on the clothes front. Bear in mind that half the time I have to deal with people they know me by my female name, etc. (even though I identify as male and I look andro). So my wardrobe is about 60/40 male/female clothes. I'm in my 30s but I still wear skinny jeans and tshirts and that sort of thing but not all the time or for every occasion. That's mostly just bumming around the house on a daily basis or out and about without specific purpose (just like doing errands or things like that). I need more "grown up" clothes for professional situations and a change from the constant t-shirts and jeans but I definitely don't want very feminine clothes or the traditional male type of clothes (do not suggest khaki pants and polo shirts... just.don't!). Basically I'm trying to work on the killer androgynous wardrobe! And by killer I mean fashion-forward (without being trendy), and stuff that just looks damn good on me - fits properly, etc. Needless to say, this has been tough. I still feel like I can't really put things together or accessorize. I try, but I feel like a total dork doing it - or feel like I end up looking bad.

I can post a pic of me or pics of some of the clothes I do have if folks want to help me try and "match" things or put outfits together (maybe some others in the same boat might get helped with some tips!). I'll accept general tips as well. I do know that not everything looks good one me and I just shouldn't wear certain things. I'm only 5'2" - 5'3" (depending on what shoes I'm wearing), 130lbs. I notice so much stuff seems to be made for taller people ... or super skinny people ... or basically just NOT me. I just spent 4 hours shopping today and came back with one shirt and one t-shirt, neither of which really add amazing things to my wardrobe.

"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

barbie

How about semi-casuals?

In my case, I wear semi-casual or formal jackets for women in 30s or men in 20s. The trend here is that jackets and pants for young men are very slim and tight. For professional reasons, sometimes I have to wear men's formal dress. And I found that nowadays styles of formal jackets for young men are virtually the same as women's.

The below is an example: my women's jacekts for 30s:

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

insideontheoutside

Thanks, Barbie! Both of those look great on you by the way.

I have noticed that especially when fashion targeting the 20-30's male that tighter fit things seem to be pretty hot. I notice also there's now a lot of cross over in women's fashion with things like the "boyfriend shirt", etc. I the androgynous thing is already there with some pieces so that might make it a little easier in the long run.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •