Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Are you very optimistic? Or do you feel that if you become too optimistic it mi

Started by Anatta, July 21, 2011, 03:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

" Are you very optimistic? Or do you feel that  if you become too optimistic it might jeopardise the chances of things working out?"
Kia Ora,

::) "An optimist feels this is the best possible world-a pessimist fear this is true!"

On the scale of one to ten how optimistic are you [ten being very optimistic-and one being well "one".....what's the point in me giving a definition it's not gonna improve your situation anyway]... ;) :D ;D

Is being very optimistic a good trait to have for a trans-person? Or can it only lead to greater disappointment when things don't go to plan ?

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Silas

I would say I'm an optimistic pessimist. I know I probably should expect the worst, but I tend to get excited by fantasies of how well things COULD work out. When they don't work out very well, I tend to be disappointed, but not very much so because I tend to feel I've already experienced the happy alternative in my head.

For example, if I go to the mental health clinic in a few days to see if there's a therapist knowledgeable in transgender issues and there isn't one, I'm not going to be very upset because I've already had the appointment several times in my imagination; and in some cases been prescribed T ;D So my imagination will keep me amused until reality can take its place.

I think for most people in general, optimism is a good trait in moderation. But only if things working out badly doesn't make them greatly upset -- I think being pleased leads to longer lives.

So, on a scale of one to ten... I'd put myself at a 7 and a half, depending on the situation.

•  

michelle

I guess I am bent towards the optimistic point of view.    I always hope things will turn out for the better,  I want them,  too.   But when things turn out for the worst, then I am not surprised.   This is because while hoped things will turn out for the best, I never expect them, too.  So when things turn out for the better I am pleased and happy.   When things turn out for the worst, I am not disappointed, nor depressed.   Because in my life things usually turn out for the non better and at the same time they turn out for the non worst.   So I just fumble my way through life. 

My life is not for better and it is not for worst.  Its for the so-so.
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •  

Pica Pica

'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Silas

O_O

*stares unblinking at Pica's octopustic picture for 30 minutes*

O___O

MOMMY, I WANNA BE OCTOPUSTIC NOW
gawd your face is so perfect in that X'DDD
  •  

Pica Pica

Quote from: Silas on July 21, 2011, 05:54:11 PM
gawd your face is so perfect in that X'DDD

Some people may take looking perfect for a plushie octopus badly, but not an octopustic person  ;D

An octopustic person is pessimistic about the future but usually finds they are happy where they are at that very moment and so as long as they are not thinking about the future, feel that life is good and the world is great.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Pica Pica on July 22, 2011, 01:03:40 AM
Some people may take looking perfect for a plushie octopus badly, but not an octopustic person  ;D

An octopustic person is pessimistic about the future but usually finds they are happy where they are at that very moment and so as long as they are not thinking about the future, feel that life is good and the world is great.

Kia Ora Pica,

::) Do Octopustic people have some Buddhist blood in them ?  ;) ;D

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Annah

In my opinion and from my experiences, I find that the trans community tends to be lacking regarding optimism.

To me, my optimistic personality furthers my drive to press on and to conquer various obstacles to come my way.

I can make a decision. I can either be pessimistic and find something negative in any situation or I can be optimistic and find an advantage or goodness to any situation.

I do not believe being optimistic can get you in trouble. I believe ignorance does that just fine lol.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Annah on July 22, 2011, 01:34:55 AM
In my opinion and from my experiences, I find that the trans community tends to be lacking regarding optimism.

To me, my optimistic personality furthers my drive to press on and to conquer various obstacles to come my way.

I can make a decision. I can either be pessimistic and find something negative in any situation or I can be optimistic and find an advantage or goodness to any situation.

I do not believe being optimistic can get you in trouble. I believe ignorance does that just fine lol.

Kia Ora Annah,

::) That's a great attitude to have ! And good philosophy to live by...We all have choices in life...
A situation just "is" [a blank canvas] ones thoughts are the paintbrushes and emotions the paint...

•  

Annah

Quote from: Zenda on July 22, 2011, 01:50:24 AM
Kia Ora Annah,

::) That's a great attitude to have ! And good philosophy to live by...We all have choices in life...
A situation just "is" [a blank canvas] ones thoughts are the paintbrushes and emotions the paint...

sometimes paint can get messy but the true joy is the final creation of your masterpiece and the ability to laugh at yourself if you get paint on your face :)

Paint on, Zenda!
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Annah,

::) So true.....

I'm just off to do my "thing"...Goodnight...

•  

Silas

Quote from: Pica Pica on July 22, 2011, 01:03:40 AM

Hmm, that sounds halfway perfect. Maybe being too optimistic is getting in the way for me, hahaa.

Optimist VS Pessimist,
Idealist VS Realist?

hmm..
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Ways to become more optimistic...

Keep a journal write down at least 3 positive things that has happened in your day, each day for a few weeks...The more you look for the positive the more you will find it...Eventually doing this will become "habitual"....

To start with simple things like acknowledging  the genuine smile given to you by a stranger or acquaintance, people performing unexpected acts of kindness towards you...It could be just be the weather...Or even your pets...

::) Happiness is just a state of mind...and so is being optimistic :)

Happy mindfulness :)

•  

Pinkfluff

I believe that either to extreme, optimism or pessimism, will lead to trouble. A bit of optimism is necessary in this life to keep you going through all the rough times, but too much can leave you seriously unprepared when things do not work out. The best approach is neither optimism nor pessimism, but realism.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
  •