Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Neo Zoroastrianism?

Started by TheAwesomePrussia, August 11, 2011, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAwesomePrussia

I found that I agree with parts of Zoroastrianism. I believe in all religions. In a way. My personal belief is that our creator and our source is an energy that exists in a dimension. We each perceive it in our own way. And when we die, we go back to that energy. I believe in reincarnation, I believe in ghosts, but my largest belief, is neutrality. I believe one should try to seek neutrality, and that "evil" is defined purely as anything that hurts someone, mentally or physically, without their consent.
So, what, really, would that fall under?
  •  

BunnyBee

I haven't heard the word "Zoroastrian" since my Ancient Persian Civilization class in college.  I vaguely remember a few things about the religion.  The Magi from the Christian bible were probably Zoroastrian Priests, for whatever that's worth.  Probably not a lot lol.  Worth enough to stick in my head for 15 years, I guess.

I didn't realize the religion was still practiced.
  •  

TheAwesomePrussia

I believe in a lot of aspects of it. Specifically the belief that all religions are true and each deserves just as much respect as the next. They all are connected in some way to the same "creator" or "source". Ahura Mazda in Zoroastrianism, God in Christianity, YHWH in Judaism, Allah in Islam, etc.
  •  

BunnyBee

It's funny you would mention that because that was another thing that struck me- the similarities it shared with Judeo-Christian and Muslim beliefs. I remember wondering who was copying who's notes out there in the desert way back when lol.

I'm all for any religion that is accepting and respectful of other beliefs that exist, so that's very cool.   How much safer would the world be if all religions/practitioners had that philosophy?

I remember something else that was significant and tangentially related to that class.  I hesitate to share though because "tangent" can be a synonym for thread-derailment for some people :P.
  •  

TheAwesomePrussia

I love anything involving politics, culture, language, and history. So shoot!
  •  

justmeinoz

I can recall reading a book on Zoroastrianism whose author felt that as well as the Parsi of India, the religion was actually alive and well in the USA. 

He pointed out that many of the beliefs of modern Americans matched theirs. Beliefs such as a powerful Devil present in the world as well as a good God; belief in angels, magic , superstition, and the power of prayer to give personal gratification.

Given the divergence from the mainstream Churches by some American fundamentalists it's not too far fetched an idea.

Karen.

"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

TheAwesomePrussia

I don't find it to be much of one either. I studied a lot regarding religion when I was in World Civilization Survey. I find it to be an important part of history, and that a lot of beliefs tend to flow into one another.
  •