Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What to do with empty vials?

Started by wheat thins are delicious, August 24, 2011, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheat thins are delicious

How are you supposed to dispose of your empty vials (testosterone)?

•  

JessicaH

Walk over to the trash can and throw it away.

Hope that helps  ;D
  •  

Quote from: JessicaH on August 24, 2011, 08:19:31 PM
Walk over to the trash can and throw it away.

Hope that helps  ;D

LOL

But no, I was under the assumption that you couldn't throw them away because the hormones could leak into the environment or something, since there is a very small amount of testosterone left in the vial. 

•  

tekla

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Eonist

Quote from: tekla on August 24, 2011, 08:40:17 PM
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/pdf/prescrip_disposal.pdf

Do not just throw them away.  They are toxic.

Actually, that link says pretty clearly that you should throw them away if you don't have a drug takeback program nearby.
  •  

tekla

Actually, it specifies a specific way to throw them away that minimized the environmental (mostly to animals) damage.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

GentlemanRDP

I wouldn't know o.o;
I keep them...I make things with them xDD
  •  

Quote from: GentlemanRDP on August 24, 2011, 09:48:32 PM
I wouldn't know o.o;
I keep them...I make things with them xDD

What do you make with them? 

Quote from: Logan Bann on August 24, 2011, 09:52:47 PM
At my work we toss empty vials of stuff in the medical waste box to be disposed of properly... if you wanted to you could probably ask your doctor's/vet's office if you could just chuck them in their sharps box and I'm sure they'd let you.

Yeah I was thinking I'd just throw it in my sharps container but was unsure if that was right or not. 

•  

LordKAT

Quote from: Logan Bann on August 26, 2011, 10:49:37 PM
Oh yeah, you have needles too... now I feel like an idiot... you have your own sharps box.   ::)

Mine used be known as a bleach bottle. It takes a long time to fill one of those.
  •  

Quote from: LordKAT on August 27, 2011, 01:03:51 AM
Mine used be known as a bleach bottle. It takes a long time to fill one of those.

How do you dispose of that when it's full? 

•  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Andy8715 on August 24, 2011, 08:16:42 PM
How are you supposed to dispose of your empty vials (testosterone)?

Check to see if you have a recycling center. Call your county health department and ask what you should do with your syringes. I was surprised that our little podunk county actually has a good program. I take in my sharps container and they give me another to fill. I drop my cans and drink bottles off at the same time.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: Andy8715 on August 27, 2011, 01:12:45 AM

Well when you start,  you label it as biohazard. When it is full, you take it to walgreens or the courthouse.
  •  

Quote from: LordKAT on August 27, 2011, 01:26:19 AM
Well when you start,  you label it as biohazard. When it is full, you take it to walgreens or the courthouse.

Awesome.  Will use something like that next time, but as it is I feel like the sharps container I have now will take me years to fill. 

•  

gantz

arent you supposed to get a hazardous materials canister for these, the red ones? i mean thats what i do with my used up injection thingies - as my doctor told me

I didnt knew you can just get any container and label it as hazmat hmm

but i guess your vials may... be different in this case so
  •  

Cindy

You can always give them back to the pharmacist, they are very use to that. They will also take full needle containers. Getting hormones into the environment is a very silly and dangerous thing to do.

Cindy
  •  

Arch

Quote from: gantz on August 27, 2011, 09:59:53 PMI didnt knew you can just get any container and label it as hazmat hmm

You can't in California. I don't know what the laws are in other states. Best to look it up.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Miniar

Get a sharps container.
Put needles and empty vials and even syringes into it.
Take to a pharmacy that accepts sharps containers and makes sure the contents are disposed of properly.

Although, if you live in a place where trash is incinerated, you "can" put the sharps container in the bin.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

LordKAT

You can't use just any container. The container has to be thicker plastic. You can use laundry detergent bottle but not milk jugs, etc. just call and ask a local pharmacy or clinic. It varies city to city on how sharps are disposed of. I called and did as they told me to.
  •  

GentlemanRDP

Quote from: Andy8715 on August 24, 2011, 10:42:59 PM
What do you make with them? 

So far, just necklaces and keychains.
I do thouroughly clean the tops and cover them in clear glue though as to not let any remaining T get out *nod* I'll get more creative with them eventually, hahaa.

Quote from: Andy8715 on August 27, 2011, 01:12:45 AM

Cover the top in LOTS of ducktape.

Quote from: LordKAT on August 29, 2011, 02:37:05 AM
You can't use just any container. The container has to be thicker plastic. You can use laundry detergent bottle but not milk jugs, etc. just call and ask a local pharmacy or clinic. It varies city to city on how sharps are disposed of. I called and did as they told me to.

Really? Huh. In my city, we're allowed to use milk jugs and two liter bottles, as long as we ducktape the top. I asked my sister how to do it, because she works at a veterinary clinic, and some of the vets down there will use milk jugs or two liter bottles when their biohazard containers are too full. I suppose calling a nearby recycling center or hazmat center would be a good idea for people wondering.
  •  

Karla

Totally put them in a sharps container or even in some bottle made of hard puncture proof substance (*^milk jugs and 2L bottles) that you label as contains sharps/biohazard/whatever.

Also I think all hospitals (at least in my state) are required to take them off your hands.
  •