Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Where is the best place for electrolosys in the UK

Started by Jayne, September 14, 2011, 02:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Now that i've had my funding approved I need to get my facial hair removed.

I'm shaving every day & it's destroying my skin, my face is constantly red & sore but I can't bear to let it grow for more than a day or so as it looks & feels so dirty & messy. I've also got a terrible rash from shaving my chest so am saving up to get an epilator to deal with that nightmare.

Can anyone recommend some place in the UK to get electrolosys, I live in the south west but would be willing to travel to get this done as it's the one thing that stops me going full time.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated
  •  

Cassie

I found mine here: http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/ - I wrote to the secretary explaining my situation and he recommended a member.
  •  

Padma

Whereabouts in the south west are you? I'm near Exeter, and I'm very happy with Remedies in Topsham. Well, as happy as anyone can be when they're having electrolysis :-\.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Jayne

Cassie, thank you for the link, i'm hoping it will be of assistance.

Padma, i'm in Bristol so Topsham isn't too far or too expensive to get to, standard train fare is 30 quid return so if nothing closer turns up it's a distinct possibility.

Once again thanks for the replies & big hugs to you both for your help
  •  

Jayne

It's me again  ;D

I've looked at Cassie's link & have found someone near Bristol, I can't get an answer on their phone number but it is saturday afternoon so i'll try again in the week.
Fingers crossed i'll be able to get something sorted soon as i'd like to be able to go to my appointments in London as a woman but I can't keep my stubble hidden for long enough to travel to & from London without it showing through makeup
  •  

Padma

That's great - I just want to point out (so you know what's coming) that having an electrolysis session means having long enough stubble (at least a couple of days' growth) for the technician to be able to get hold of the hair to pluck it - and that it's not good to shave for a day or so afterwards. This means doing a bit of forward planning about when you're going to be least uncomfortable about having stubble for a few days. I've found this quite tricky sometimes, but it's just part of the deal. If you arrange with the tech to work on a specific area in each session, you can shave the rest, of course, which sometimes helps (e.g. if they're working on the underchin/neck, you can shave the rest of your face without it looking weird).

Let us know how it works out, it's good to have an up to date idea of where is good to go :).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Cassie

I do it friday evening or saturday morning and spend the weekend inside. Usually a day unshaven is enough to go in with and when you know how your electrologist works you can just leave the area that s/he will be working on and shave the rest.

Another word of warning though - it takes a long time. I've been going weekly for nearly a year and only the centre part of my chin is clear.
  •  

Jayne

Padma, due to my skin i've learnt to deal with having facial hair & have often had to go for a couple of weeks without shaving whilst my skin heals itself so letting it grow for electrolysis is a small price to pay.

I'll certainly keep you all up to date with how things are going, maybe if everyone on the forum in the UK was to rate their electrolysis sessions then we could build up a picture of the best places to get this done.

Cassie, i'd like to get this done asap so that I can start going full time as female but if it takes a year or more then it's a small price to pay after the 30 yr wait to start this journey.
  •  

Padma

Jane, same here with the skin - I can only shave every 4-5 days (this has been made less distressing since laser, which has at least got rid of a lot of the "shadow" in my beard).

It's worth negotiating a deal with whatever electrolysist you go to regularly for a package deal - I'm having hour-long sessions at the moment, which gets more done (they usually only do 1/2 hour sessions at most places I enquired at). Longer than that is tough on the tech's concentration and wrists! I've heard of places in the US (where they have a more devil-may-care approach to local anaesthesia than in the UK) where you can get a whole day of electrolysis in one go, from 2 techs at once. All I can say is, ouch! But it would speed up the process a lot.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Cassie

I'd just add that anti-androgens make it grow much more slowly so if you get put on these you should find that it doesn't grow through your makeup during a normal day. A good liquid foundation is essential though. I'd been full time a year before I started electrolysis although i'd had a few IPL sessions beforehand.
  •  

Jayne

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Padma, I can shave every day but after a week (sometimes 2) I have to go for 2 - 3 days to let my skin recover, it's sods law that i've had a week off of work & my skins been too bad for using makeup, I tried using foundation yesterday & it looked terrible because it makes flaky skin that isnt visible stick out like a sore thumb.

Cassie, i'm using a layer of orange or red lipstick over the shadow followed by a layer of max factor pan stick, it hides the shadow for a while but i'm constantly plauged by itching, damn excema!! (i'm trying to ignore 4 powerfull itches as I type this). This means that within hours of putting on makeup i've accidently removed parts of it through scratching, I try to resist but often scratch without realising.
This is why I want the hair removed before I go full time
  •  

smooth

I must start out by saying I am heavily biased because I used this Lady for my own treatment and she is first rate, very experienced and I doubt you'd find much better regardless of where you go in the world. Check out electrabeauty.com she's in Nottingham which would be a serious journey for you but the travel expense could work out being worth it, certainly if you were planning block treatments. Going local is a consideration hard to ignore but effective treatment is worth travelling for. I personally used to do a 250mile round journey every time to visit her....
see you on the beach....
  •