Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Time Travel [Or all in the mind]

Started by Anatta, September 24, 2011, 04:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Quote from: mimpi on September 29, 2011, 09:20:26 AM
Most if not all of us here have experienced time travel albeit to an infinitesimal degree. It occurs every time one flies on an airliner. Fact, please correct me if I'm wrong.

True.  And depending on which way you are flying, east vs west, you will gain or lose time as compared to a stationary clock on the ground.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

tekla

its the speed, not the direction that matters, and a very fast elevator is perhaps an even better example.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

V M

This will take a few people back in time  ;D

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Thanks for taking the 'time' to come up with some interesting responses so far...

Does a clock tell 'time' ? Or are we just measuring the 'space' between its hands - the space between objects?

I read somewhere that time is just a concept we humans use to measure the space found between objects...

Over the years we have been conditioned to believe that time really exists, however time [so it would seem] is just the mind's 'gap filler' for the space in between things/experiences...

True or false ...All that as and will ever happen in ones life, is happening right 'now'...

After all, there is no 'time' - [like the 'present ']

::) Does 'time' travel = 'space' travel ?

I could be wrong...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

V M

It would actually be pretty cool if time travel were possible  :)  Maybe some day
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

tekla

According to Eisenstein time and space are different ways of viewing the same thing.
  •  

Cindy

What would you do if you could go back in time, and do something?

And no, not the save the president, stop wars or even more tragic events of us losing family and such stuff.

Seriously what would you have  done? On a practical and personal level. But things that were possible at your time in life.

I would have applied myself to math a lot more. I would in fact try to understand it. I would have tried to learn to paint.

One of my biggest regrets, and I ragged my teachers at the time about how utterly useless crap they were trying to teach me was:  Poetry.

I would now love to know the use of words and the cadence of speech.
Strange world
Cindy

•  

Amaranth

Zenda's last post makes sense.  We live in a perceived three dimensional world, so we can't see everything in the fourth dimension (time) or the spaces between each point at once because we only get cross-sections of it, the way there are 2D cross-sections of 3D objects.  Time travel would then be, in theory, nothing more than walking through 3D space, just up a notch...folding over the "space" between events the way we fold and bend 2D "space" to access our 3D world.

...or maybe I've just had one puff too many.  :\

Cindy,

If the Butterfly Effect is more than a movie, I'd rather live with my mistakes and regrets than change something in the world I never meant to affect.

I still would've liked to go to Prom though...
  •  

mimpi

Just one? ;)

The Butterfly Effect has to be true although perhaps the end result may not ne a hurricane but something more banal such as us finding the traffic lights turning to red at the last minute...

That's why time travel can't occur in the classical understanding of the concept. Reality around us would be constantly changing, we might even be passing in and out of existence.

I'm going for the Simulation theory, things are so messed up it seems the logical answer. Probably being run by some spotty teenage kid with Aspergers on a virus ridden home built computer with insufficient memory in his bedroom. If he's reading this I'm requesting an upgrade that doesn't involve deletion!  http://www.simulation-argument.com/
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) If time travel was possible and a person were to go back in time and change an event, only that person would be aware of the change...In other words life would carry on 'as normal' for the rest of us-we would be none the wiser  :eusa_doh: ...So whose to say this is not already happening  :icon_bong: ? How do you 'know' it's not ?  ;)

::) Just a thought-one of many...

::) Regarding the Lepidoptera Effect...In Buddhism  it's called  'Dependant Origination' [or dependant arising]  for every action there's a reaction=cause and effect... And the effect is also the cause - 'Interdependency of all phenomena '...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: mimpi on September 30, 2011, 09:32:02 AM
The Butterfly Effect

That was an awesome movie.

If you want to know why NOT to time-travel, watch The Butterfly Effect
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Anatta

•  

Anatta

•  

tekla

Regarding the Lepidoptera Effect...In Buddhism  it's called  'Dependant Origination' [or dependant arising]  for every action there's a reaction=cause and effect... And the effect is also the cause - 'Interdependency of all phenomena '...

Rachael Carson called it 'The Web of Life' and I kinda like that one.
  •  

Abstract

Quote from: Zenda on September 24, 2011, 04:06:16 PM
Kia Ora,

::) Italian scientists believe  neutrinos,  travel faster than the speed of light  :icon_yikes: about 60 nanoseconds faster-give or take a few nanoseconds...

A British scientist believes with this new discovery[so long as it turns out to be correct] there a possibility that man could 'visit the past'...  ::) Interesting  ::) ...

::) I believe there are a few ways to look at time travel, for example as I write this I am in a sense in the future [according to clock [and sundial] time NZ]...Many of you are still experiencing my yesterday ...In fact you could say I'm sending this from your future...

::) Another way to look at time, is what I call 'mind-travel',  the average adult human has around 50 to 60 thousand 'thoughts' per day, the vast majority are either of the past or the future, very rarely do we 'visit home' the  'here and now'-the present moment...So in a sense we are constantly time/mind travelling...

::) So where are you all at when it comes to time or mind travel ?

Is time travel possible ?

If so, would this also mean there's no such thing as 'death' as we know it ?

Please use 'lay person's' terms to explain, we are not all scientists...

Even if it was possible time travel would be impossible...

Explination:

You go back in time to change something, you change it, in the future there is no reason for you to go back into time, you don't so it never gets changed, and thus you never go back to time and thus there is a reason for you to change it and thus you go back into time and thus there is no reason for you to go back in time in the future and thus you don't go back into time and thus there is a reason so you do and thus there is not a reason and ...etc

But lets say you managed to go back into time without intention to change anything...
then you get the looping exponential change self destruction...(with possibility for self repeating loop)

That is to say you go back into time don't change what made you go back into time.... however what you did changes history to a small degree changing the future you to a small degree, that changes the you that time travels slightly thus changing the way you change the past slightly thus changing even more the future self and thus changing even more the you that travels beack into time thus changing your future self more thus changing the taime traveling you more...etc...etc.. eventually the change would propagate to a degree that resulted in you not traveling into the past... at twhich point it would all not happen and might result in the start of the loop again by you going back into time again...

If it is possible to create such an endless time loop... non-participants might not notice it, perhaps it would break off from the normal time stream, thus creating a hell for the participant(s).
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates
"Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of God." -Cicero
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily believing it." -Aristotle
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Abstract on October 02, 2011, 11:02:10 AM
Even if it was possible time travel would be impossible...

Explination:

You go back in time to change something, you change it, in the future there is no reason for you to go back into time, you don't so it never gets changed, and thus you never go back to time and thus there is a reason for you to change it and thus you go back into time and thus there is no reason for you to go back in time in the future and thus you don't go back into time and thus there is a reason so you do and thus there is not a reason and ...etc

But lets say you managed to go back into time without intention to change anything...
then you get the looping exponential change self destruction...(with possibility for self repeating loop)

That is to say you go back into time don't change what made you go back into time.... however what you did changes history to a small degree changing the future you to a small degree, that changes the you that time travels slightly thus changing the way you change the past slightly thus changing even more the future self and thus changing even more the you that travels beack into time thus changing your future self more thus changing the taime traveling you more...etc...etc.. eventually the change would propagate to a degree that resulted in you not traveling into the past... at twhich point it would all not happen and might result in the start of the loop again by you going back into time again...

If it is possible to create such an endless time loop... non-participants might not notice it, perhaps it would break off from the normal time stream, thus creating a hell for the participant(s).

Kia Ora Abstract,

::) That makes sense...after all... it's 'all in the mind '

•  

Anatta

Quote from: tekla on October 02, 2011, 04:29:28 AM

Rachael Carson called it 'The Web of Life' and I kinda like that one.

Kia Ora Tekla,

::) I'm sure if it was possible she would have gone back in time and kill the people who developed DDT...

•  

tekla

I'm pretty sure that Rachel Carson was very much a moral humanist, and wouldn't kill anyone.  Going back to regulate it's use would have been more than enough for her.
  •  

Sandy

You don't have to kill anyone.  That can result in too many unforeseen consequences.  Much too emotional.

"All you have to do is go back and disturb the parents of the victim during the act of coitus.  Pounding on the front door for example.  Much less of an impact, and the more likely to be forgotten by the parents or even possibly celebrated by them.  Fertilization of the ovum is so given to chance that even random movement following ejaculation could cause a different sperm to enter the egg.  So you're not killing anyone, just not letting them be born."

"TimeCop Manual, Chpt 27, Ethics, pg 762"

-Sandy

cnat spel
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Jen61

Quote from: tekla on September 30, 2011, 03:08:41 AM
According to Eisenstein time and space are different ways of viewing the same thing.

Could you provide a reference for your quote

Jen61
  •