Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Non-Binary Introductions

Started by ativan, October 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futurist

Quote from: Dinah on November 04, 2015, 04:57:54 AM
Hello!
I'm Dinah. I'm gender fluid. Someone once told me to "just pick a gender, and stick to it!", but I can't, no matter how hard I try. I'm a woman, I'm a man, I'm neither, I'm both.

I worry you'll think I'm "not trans enough" to be here. :(
Frankly, anyone who tells you that you're "not trans enough" is an intolerant, gate-keeping idiot. Enough said.
  •  

Lady Smith

Quote from: Futurist on November 28, 2015, 06:51:43 PM
Frankly, anyone who tells you that you're "not trans enough" is an intolerant, gate-keeping idiot. Enough said.

This +1  Well said!
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Dinah on November 04, 2015, 04:57:54 AM
Hello!
I'm Dinah. I'm gender fluid. Someone once told me to "just pick a gender, and stick to it!", but I can't, no matter how hard I try. I'm a woman, I'm a man, I'm neither, I'm both.

I worry you'll think I'm "not trans enough" to be here. :(
If anybody ever says you don't belong here, hit the report to moderator button on the post and we will take care of it.  This is a support site were people are free to explore the transgender spectrum and fluid is clearly a part of that spectrum.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Futurist

Quote from: Lady Smith on November 28, 2015, 07:43:13 PM
This +1  Well said!
Thank you very much! :) Also, Yes, I myself am certainly extremely sick and tired of intolerant, gate-keeping idiots and bastards. :(
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Futurist on November 28, 2015, 06:50:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I am Futurist. Anyway, here is some information about myself:

I am currently a 23-year-old university student who is currently living in Southern California. I was a transvestic fetishist (to some extent) ever since I began having a sex drive at age 9 or 10 (though I am unfortunately currently way too hairy to actually act on my transvestic fetishistic desires :(). In addition to this, though, a couple of years ago I began to cross-dream (primarily in a non-sexual way), though I would also like to point out that I would be pretty content being a girly guy/girly eunuch if I could sufficiently feminize both my body and my face. Indeed, while I myself am certainly willing to identify as a male (and/or as a eunuch as well :)), I certainly want to permanently get rid of as much of my body hair and facial hair as possible, to somewhat feminize my face (indeed, think of Stav Strashko or Andreja Pejic before she began physically transitioning), very possibly to take female hormones (though I am flexible on this part considering that I want to be able to continue being able to get erections using my penis and to have penis-in-vagina sex), to get rid of the large bald spots on the top of my head (due to my premature baldness due to poor genetics on my own part), to sometimes cross-dress, et cetera. In addition to this, though, I also certainly want to get rid of my testicles both for sterilization purposes (considering that vasectomies can and sometimes do fail and considering that vasectomy doctors certainly won't pay all of my child support payments for 18+ years in the event of an unplanned pregnancy) and, if possible, to help me feminize my body and my face. Also, I would like to point out that I have previously heard some good things (well, good from my own perspective :)) about estrogen from both trans-women and trans-men. Finally, I would like to point out that I myself want to have a face similar to that of a pre-FFS trans-woman; seriously--after all, while I am presuming that many, if not most, trans-women want to look completely like cis-women, I myself want to look much more like a pre-FFS trans-woman than like a cis-woman.

Anyway, does anyone here any thoughts on what I wrote here? :) If so, then please don't be afraid to speak out. :)

It is just my opinion but, the folks with the most specific goals, needs, expectations and desires seem to have commensurately more challenge in getting to those specific results.  Some find their goals to be elusive or foiled by a few jerks making rude remarks.... "if i'm not 100% passable its game over."  Some approach their dysphoria with a need to reduce the pain but maintain their foot in one camp or another for about a million different reasons we have heard here.

Best of luck with finding your way.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Deathmental

Hello everybody!

So, I'm kinda new to this non-binary thing. I've been having doubts about my identity for 4 years. I'll try to sum up my story so that you can tell me what you think.

I was born male (XY) and never had a single thought about "gender" until I was 22. I felt comfortable in male clothes. I liked girls. I was a boy, that was a fact. Not a single hint.
Looking back it all seems so weird, how suddenly it happened.

I always thought that I was different from the others. I couldn't have said in which way, just different. The other boys were not like me. We had some things in common, but not many. When puberty came I was grossed by the way they lusted after girls but I was much more disgusted by the fact that I shared some of their feelings.

By the time I was 16 I began suffering from eating disorders (bulimia nervosa mostly) and a severe depression. At 22 I decided to try some medications. They worked well for my bulimia but they left me even more depressed. Hitting rock bottom.

I kept thinking about why I felt so miserable.
I had long known that my illness was rooted in my sexuality, since it was after an orgasm that I felt the need to binge & purge. My libido made me feel dirty and disgusting. I never saw sex as a good thing or a happy thing. It was just this terrible urge that had to be satisfied.

So, sex was the root of it all. But how?

I don't remember how it happened. I just thought: "I'm a lesbian trapped inside a man's body". Like, out of nowhere. Yes, I had a thing for lesbian girls but I thought that was normal for a guy.
It was just then that I realized I wanted to be one. I didn't want to be a guy.

For a long time I wasn't able to understand how such a thing could be possible. I felt I couldn't talk to anybody about it: it was just too weird. But accepting the fact that I was a lesbian drove all the discomfort with sex away. It made what all the medicines couldn't do: make me feel good about myself.

Eventually I started to research into transexualism. But that didn't feel totally right either. I mean, since I wanted to transition I was a MtF. I started attending transgender spaces and got to know quite a few of them (and fell in love with one).

I wasn't like them and I knew it. I didn't want to be a super-femme. I didn't have the slightest interest for makeup, high heels, handbags, all those things that they were so fond of.

But I wanted the HRT and the SRS anyway. I went to a gender clinic, asking them to help me understand. I attended the sessions in my regular clothes and I was 100% sincere on my feelings. I was crystal clear that I just wanted to change my body, not my attire. I was denied hormones.
The psychologist said I had some dysphoria, but she thought it was a result of depression, I was not a woman. I don't blame her because I understand her point: I was just too different from the other MtFs. They don't have time to consider anything that is ambiguous.

I gave it all up for a couple of months or so. But the thought kept coming back. I was still very confused. The thing that bothered me most was that everything had happened in the wrong order: I didn't realize that I was 1) a girl & 2) a lesbian. I had realized I was a lesbian first, and then I had just thought that I had to be a girl. That's not how it's supposed to work. That really drove me nut, and it still does.

After being denied HRT, it took me 2 years to really try again. The question "Do you feel like a woman?" stopped me every time. All I could answer was "I don't feel like a man".
Then I started to realize how this "man/woman" thing was really just nonsense. What does it mean "to feel like a woman"? Do all cis women feel the same? Does Pamela Anderson feel like a woman the same way K.D. Lang does?

I am something that's probably in between, leaning more on the feminine side. Like a tomboy, or a soft butch. Could that be the reason why I never experienced dysphoria before 22?

Now I know what I want, and the rest doesn't matter.
I want my body to be feminine (but not too much). I want to make love as a girl, to a girl.
I want to be perceived as a girl, even if a more masculine one (I always despised the fact that I was perceived as a boy by girls, but I couldn't figure out why).

I'm still not comfortable enough to talk about my identity in real life, except with a few friends. Maybe that will change when I'll be on HRT (hopefully by february 2016). The new therapist thought I was an aspiring FtM when she saw me. I took it as a compliment. I just hope it's not going to stop me from getting my estrogens.

To the ones who endured the reading, thank you.

P.S. Sorry if there's any mistake, English is not my first language.
  •  

Lady Smith

Welcome Deathmental :D  I transitioned 25 years ago because i knew I wasn't a man so you're not alone in your experience.  I made the mistake though of thinking that if I wasn't a man i must be a woman and it's taken me a long while to reach the point where I was able to come out all over again as being non-binary.

All those years ago the medical profession had a very rigid view of what a transgender person was so I very quickly learned the expected script in order to get past all the gatekeepers.  Going on estrogen was like coming home after wandering like an exile in the wilderness so I certainly had that part right, but like you I had no interest in being a girly girl and dressing up all fabulous like most of the other transwomen I'd met.

Good luck on your journey and I hope everything does work out well for you.
  •  

Drake

Hi there!
I'm in my 30s and somewhere in the great confusing forest of terms for nonbinariness, genderqueer or -fluid or whatever the word du jour is.  ;D

I'm dfab and fine with the physical part of it, so transitioning anywhere is not one of my goals. Gender identity-wise it's generally a bit masculine-of-center, but I have varying moods that all have their relevance at the time but overall blend together into not wanting to commit too much to either gender and role and presentation cause none of that is me at the exclusion of the rest, and often it all feels terribly overrated and meaningless.
But since I still want to talk about it, I'm giving this forum a shot. So hi!  Nice to meet you!
  •  

Lady Smith

Nice to meet you too Drake.  Welcome to the forum :D
  •  

Tessa James

Hey Deathmental and Drake welcome to Susans Place.  it is always refreshing for me to hear from others who don't fit some tidy little gender box out there.  If more people were honest about where they are my guess is that we would recognize a much larger segment of the population is gender variant.

Culture is a huge part of how we view our intrinsic gender identity but is is a crooked yard stick for measuring an individual life.

Good to know more people are feeling free enough to do their own thing.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Ms DeeDee

Hello my lovely friends!  I am new to the forums but already happy to be receiving much encouragement and find out so much information.  I just posted yesterday in the main intro area but thought I really ought to say "Hi!" here as well, as since I've started to identify as other than "just" male over the past year, I've quickly learned that if there's a term for me it's in this vast group of "non-binary".  Reading other intros here, I'm pleased to find a group of people with similar identities. 

Last night was big, I was renewing a professional certification and they had a mandatory demographics questionnaire, which I don't believe was anonymous  The first question was "How do you view yourself?" "Which of the following describes how you think of yourself:" and the options were "Male", "Female", "Decline to answer" and "Something else", "Female", "Male", "Prefer not to respond", and "In another way".  I was very pleased to see this and after thinking about it for a bit, I decided that to answer honestly was to select "Something else" "In another way", so I did!  Afterwards, I felt a wave of joy come over me at acknowledging this. 

Today, after events I describe in the main intro area I completely came out to my wife as trans/non-binary.  Though it was gradual, I had disclosed my cross-dressing/under-dressing to her last summer and I'd discussed more and more recently my feelings about gender, this morning was the first time I used those terms to describe myself.  Today, I feel very, very feminine - I'm all or almost all girl today, probably due to a combination of the emotions of telling her and the liberation of her acceptance.  However, I have to accept the fact that I still have boy parts and I'm not really interested in getting rid of them (in a fantasy world in which I could get rid of them non-permanently, I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat and probably never ask for them back but in a world of permanency and surgically constructed girl parts that aren't fully functional, I'm not there, at least not now - though I certainly relate to and admire to those who choose that path).  Besides, I'm not always so completely feminine and without major changes to my body I'm not going to pass as a woman in professional situations and (I think) I'm OK with that - though I must admit, this is all very new, I've only realized most of this over the past year.  Having this word "non-binary" and a group of friends to share with helps to make it easier.

If you need a third person pronoun for me, you are welcome to address me either in the neuter or the feminine as I am generally a girl to some degree on the inside.

So glad to be here and I hope I can contribute to the support and friendship of others as much as you already have to me!

Hugs,
DeeDee
  •  

Koda9

Hi,
I'm a DFAB Agender person. 18. Going to college.

I'm here because my family is not accepting, and my trans friends are either having issues of their own, or livin' the life in college.

My pronouns are zhe/zheir/zhem/zhemself.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Koda9 on February 12, 2016, 05:06:08 PM
Hi,
I'm a DFAB Agender person. 18. Going to college.

I'm here because my family is not accepting, and my trans friends are either having issues of their own, or livin' the life in college.

My pronouns are zhe/zheir/zhem/zhemself.

Welcome Koda. I've found the non-binary area is very accepting. I've been here for nearly four years.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Koda9

Thanks suzifrommd. It's nice to know. :)
  •  

Lady Smith

Welcome Koda  :D  Many years ago I transitioned to the female side of things, then around a year and a half ago I came to the realisation that I was NB and that was why I still felt like I didn't quite fit.  This corner of the forum can seem a little quiet sometimes, but there are a few of us who look in here from time to time.
  •  

Hunchdebunch

Hi, you may call me Kolby (it's a name I'm trying out right now), I'm 23, and most likely non binary. I am a little confused by my gender; I feel like it's between male and female, but somehow removed from that as well. And yet sometimes I feel sort of boyish, which is all very confusing to me haha :P

Aside from that, I'm interested in art, fantasy, video games, and I like to make comic books :)
  •  

Nacht

Hello everyone! I just made an account not too long ago. I really wish that I had joined sooner. Ah, well.

My name is Eri and I identify as nonbinary. I'm 24. I'm out to my friends, but not out to my family. Not being out to family is going to result in some serious heartache down the road...because I had my top surgery on March 3rd. My parents don't know about it at all. Thankfully I don't live with them - I live with my bf and his sister. I'm nervous, though. Mom has been pressuring me to see her soon and I'm still wearing the bandages. :/ I'm debating on keeping a sports bra and 'stuffing' it with a couple socks whenever I have to see her, but thinking of that makes me tear up. I spent so long fighting for a flat chest the idea of hiding it and making it look full again...

For the longest time I never thought that I would be able to get top surgery because I'm not ftm. My how glad I am to see nonbinary resources and validation! I wish younger me had known there was a forum like this.   

I'm really into horror stuff, especially Stephen King and Junji Ito. My favorite video game series is Fatal Frame, but I love fantasy genre games like Skyrim and Dragon Age, too.

I hope to have a great time here. :)
  •  

suzifrommd

Welcome Eri. Good to know you. Susan's Place is a wonderful place to explore and meet people with similar experiences.

Quote from: Nacht on March 21, 2016, 01:29:13 AM
For the longest time I never thought that I would be able to get top surgery because I'm not ftm. My how glad I am to see nonbinary resources and validation! I wish younger me had known there was a forum like this. 

Definitely. We're allowed to transition to whatever presentation represents our true selves, including surgery if necessary. Thank heaven the days are over when NB people had to sit on the sidelines cheering on binary people who finally got to be themselves.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Ms DeeDee

Quote from: Nacht on March 21, 2016, 01:29:13 AM
My name is Eri and I identify as nonbinary. I'm 24. I'm out to my friends, but not out to my family. Not being out to family is going to result in some serious heartache down the road...because I had my top surgery on March 3rd. My parents don't know about it at all. Thankfully I don't live with them - I live with my bf and his sister. I'm nervous, though. Mom has been pressuring me to see her soon and I'm still wearing the bandages. :/ I'm debating on keeping a sports bra and 'stuffing' it with a couple socks whenever I have to see her, but thinking of that makes me tear up. I spent so long fighting for a flat chest the idea of hiding it and making it look full again...

Hi Eri !

Big Hugs.  I really feel for you.  I'm in my mid-40s, my parents aren't living, and I haven't started (nor even decided) to transition (MtF), yet I have no idea when or even if I will tell my siblings or in-laws that I'm transgender and the idea of telling them makes me nauseous—especially my in-laws.  I'm not sure I can handle the stress (but I don't see them often and might be able to just avoid ever discussing it).  I'm even anxious about them seeing me with pierced ears and showing up to work with piercing studs even though I know that's trivial and it's something I just have to do and if I find I need to go on E or get surgery to make my body conform to the authentic me, the stress of not doing it would be much worse I'm sure. 

I am so happy for you that you got your surgery!  That's a huge step!  I hope your mom can understand to some degree and that her understanding grows with time that the pain of having a body that is in discord with who we really are is dangerous, even life threatening, and that that pain and stress is the only illness we have and that sometimes surgery is the only way to get past it.  It's so hard because our loved ones are attached to the idea of who we are and how they relate to us and getting beyond that is painful for them as well.  To your mom, you are her baby girl and she is likely attached to the idea of you as a woman and potential mother.  She needs to let go of that but it may take time.  Maybe the sooner she starts, the better?

I know what you mean about tearing up over even thinking of pretending.  I know that hiding my early experimentation with simple cross-dressing (really just underdressing) before I realized what was going on, was not at all helpful to my relationship with my wife and the more I started to realize what was going on the more painful it got for me as well.  Once I opened up, she became very understanding especially as she came to understand the scope of my distress.  Only you know even half of what you and your mom need though.  This is a wonderful place to talk it out and I wish you the very best.

<More big hugs>

Love,
DeeDee
  •  

DogSpirit

Hi, everyone,

>HUGS< to all of you who came before me here.

I'm a 60-year-old nonbinary. I like that term so much better than androgyne. I'm female-bodied and fairly jealous of Eri for the top surgery. I hope your family embraces your changes!

I had one breast lopped off in a mastectomy and would love to have the other one gone, but I don't want to go near a surgeon voluntarily, even for that. It's kind of fun being lopsided: sort of like wearing my nonbinaryness on my chest :D

The world gives me no grief for my nonbinary presentation, though I don't like the discomfort caused when people think they were wrong to call me Sir. My wife is fine with my boxer briefs and packer.

Thanks for listening.
-- Sue
===============================================
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
-- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"
  •