News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Non-Binary Introductions

Started by ativan, October 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huggyrei

Hi Petra!

I'm also pretty new here, and so far enjoying myself. Some of what you say resonates with me; I don't mind being female, I just don't see what that has to do with who I am and how I should be treated. A lot of my screaming matches with my Mum throughout teeangerhood involoved her telling me to act more feminine, and I was never very happy with the idea. I always hung around with the geeks raher than worrying about what gender anyone was. I suppose that's what surprises me, actually; I've always thought like you, that gender is a social construct - yet when someone tries to force me into a very feminine box, it feels wrong and I object. I suppose that means I must have some sort of sense of it after all, and only notice it when I run into one of the edges?
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Sarah7 on January 17, 2013, 07:07:45 PM
Yes. I'm looking. With horror.

And just because anyone can wear them doesn't mean they should.

Horror?!  Oy Vey.

Hawaiian shirts bring happiness to all.   :D
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Pleasingly Plump Jamie D on January 18, 2013, 02:48:51 AM
Horror?!  Oy Vey.

Hawaiian shirts bring happiness to all.   :D

Just for the record I have five different Hawaii shirts I'm wearing one in my Flickr thread if you don't focus on the bra you can actually see it. They are big, cool and breezy on hot days and not necessarily gender specific. In your face to Hawaii shirt haters! (sticks tongue out) ;D
  •  

Petra

Quote from: Huggyrei on January 18, 2013, 01:50:43 AMI don't mind being female, I just don't see what that has to do with who I am and how I should be treated.

Yesyesyes, this is like exactly how I feel!

Actually I relate to pretty much everything you just said, except basically the only thing my mom ever did by way of trying to thrust femininity upon me was attempt to strong-arm me into dresses for church as a kid.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Huggyrei on January 18, 2013, 01:50:43 AM
Hi Petra!

I'm also pretty new here, and so far enjoying myself. Some of what you say resonates with me; I don't mind being female, I just don't see what that has to do with who I am and how I should be treated. A lot of my screaming matches with my Mum throughout teeangerhood involoved her telling me to act more feminine, and I was never very happy with the idea. I always hung around with the geeks raher than worrying about what gender anyone was. I suppose that's what surprises me, actually; I've always thought like you, that gender is a social construct - yet when someone tries to force me into a very feminine box, it feels wrong and I object. I suppose that means I must have some sort of sense of it after all, and only notice it when I run into one of the edges?

Yes it is and you are right on! I don't care for boxes either that's why I post as androgyne. And I don't care how the box lovers want to clock me either for that matter, I get asked all the time by nosy people, "Are you MtF or FtM?" My response is "Whatever blows your hair back!"
  •  

omdorastrix

So.  Hi - I've bounced off this board in research several times and decided to come by, seeing again, thankfully that it's an active board and not that there's a random comment hanging out there from several years ago...

I was born male and I've identified as androgyne for over a year now and have been fairly closeted with my partners.  I crossed, before I self-identified and once in public, and I've done some private stints en-femme to kind of prove to myself that if I can get that far i can figure out how to get halfway...

I'm not exactly sure yet what it means to me to be Androgyne,  I know I have some strong expressions of stereotypically feminine traits.  I've been socialized as male for 30 years so I feel it's going to be hard to recode my programming.

I'm also a geek/IT person.

I had a really low point emotionally last night and decided today that I think I need to find people to talk to.  So..

Hello strange people who are apparently a lot like me...
I'm not sure where this path will take me, but I'm gonna stick with it until I find a place where I'm truly comfortable.

Pansexual, Polyamorous, Androgyne  -- When I do something, I go all the way...
Out to: Partners & Friends - Not out to: Public & Parents
  •  

soulfairer

Quote from: omdorastrix on January 31, 2013, 10:19:20 PM
So.  Hi - I've bounced off this board in research several times and decided to come by, seeing again, thankfully that it's an active board and not that there's a random comment hanging out there from several years ago...

I was born male and I've identified as androgyne for over a year now and have been fairly closeted with my partners.  I crossed, before I self-identified and once in public, and I've done some private stints en-femme to kind of prove to myself that if I can get that far i can figure out how to get halfway...

I'm not exactly sure yet what it means to me to be Androgyne,  I know I have some strong expressions of stereotypically feminine traits.  I've been socialized as male for 30 years so I feel it's going to be hard to recode my programming.

I had a really low point emotionally last night and decided today that I think I need to find people to talk to.  So..

Hi, we're here. I am also male assigned at birth and *32*. So I think we can relate to each other the experiences & the feelings. And a geek/IT person, too, and I love games (but I decided not to game until some time because it's addictive for me).

I've decided to switch to female, but stay androgyne. Something like MtFtA, and it really suits me because I am somewhat female inside (or 'not male', there's not a precise definition) but really love androgyny. I also decided to change my name, a decision that really is hard given that I like androgyny, and some people just wonder "wow, if you're not going to be a barbie, why are you changing your name?" but in this case they simply don't grasp the meaning of "being" female to the binary society.

Welcome to the forest!
  •  

Jamie D

Yes, we come in all shapes, colors,genders, and identities.  Welcome!

For new members, please be sure to review

•  

omdorastrix

Quote from: soulfairer on February 01, 2013, 12:07:03 AM
Hi, we're here. I am also male assigned at birth and *32*. So I think we can relate to each other the experiences & the feelings. And a geek/IT person, too, and I love games (but I decided not to game until some time because it's addictive for me).

I've decided to switch to female, but stay androgyne. Something like MtFtA, and it really suits me because I am somewhat female inside (or 'not male', there's not a precise definition) but really love androgyny. I also decided to change my name, a decision that really is hard given that I like androgyny, and some people just wonder "wow, if you're not going to be a barbie, why are you changing your name?" but in this case they simply don't grasp the meaning of "being" female to the binary society.

Welcome to the forest!

Thanks,

I was expecting a positive and supportive response (having lurked a few times), but nothing as close to getting a look in a mirror as this..

I've questioned myself, how, socially/physically/etc, to introduce feminine cues to offset my 'maleness' and arrive at a more andro presentation to match my identity.  And whether it'd be more socially acceptable, or easier socially, to transition, go MtF like you have said and simply retain some attachment to my 'former' gender.  That's part of the whole bundle of emotions and insecurities that got me the other night.  Today, today is a much better day...   :)

I might PM you as soon as I can get over myself and figure out how to start a conversation without starting it in "too close to personal"-town.
I'm not sure where this path will take me, but I'm gonna stick with it until I find a place where I'm truly comfortable.

Pansexual, Polyamorous, Androgyne  -- When I do something, I go all the way...
Out to: Partners & Friends - Not out to: Public & Parents
  •  

Jamie D

Just as a heads up, you will need 15 posts before the personal messaging utility turns on for you.
  •  

soulfairer

Quote from: omdorastrix on February 01, 2013, 09:41:46 PM
Thanks,

I was expecting a positive and supportive response (having lurked a few times), but nothing as close to getting a look in a mirror as this..

I've questioned myself, how, socially/physically/etc, to introduce feminine cues to offset my 'maleness' and arrive at a more andro presentation to match my identity.  And whether it'd be more socially acceptable, or easier socially, to transition, go MtF like you have said and simply retain some attachment to my 'former' gender.  That's part of the whole bundle of emotions and insecurities that got me the other night.  Today, today is a much better day...   :)

I might PM you as soon as I can get over myself and figure out how to start a conversation without starting it in "too close to personal"-town.

Hi! But well, we're nerds (hah! but I nowadays love clothing :) ). Probably if you already is 'femaler', you already do a lot of things towards a more andro presentation, just pay some attention. I spoke to some people about that and they all said that I always behaved in a more feminine way, people simply didn't perceive that before being questioned (neither did I). In that regard, if your identity is more androgynous, so your behavior may already be. In some times I realize/concur that we are "obliged" to concede some as people don't mock us, for example. But I just don't fear being called a 'femme' or 'sissy' nowadays, it just doesn't hurt me as I am detached from those social obligations :D

I painfully (okay, not so painfully, but it was hard) decided to transition before, as my "binary" desire is to be recognized as female. If I could stay as androgynous or be recognized as such by people, perhaps I'd just stay in the forest. Now I just need to cross the river and come back to the forest!

Read our stories. We have a lot of them! When I first came, I read many, many topics before even registering myself. For possibly a year. But here I am, and I don't regret. We just can share a lot here and find people we relate to. I for one always welcome the nerds! :)
  •  

ativan

Welcome to the forest.
  •  

wren-bird

I'm Wren.
I am 28 years, I have a son, and a husband, and I'm autistic. I like to write, and like to read even more. I am a Sherlock BBC fan. I also like to cosplay, as both males and females.
For years I wondered if I was transgender, but wasn't sure since I don't feel like I fit into the traditional masculine role, if I were physically a boy I would be considered a sissy, but I don't feel feminine either. When I dress up as a girl it feels just like that; Dressing up. My body is not right either way, my chest too large, my hips too wide, my bits not in the right configuration, then today I discovered the concept of being androgyn and realized exactly where I belong and that I wasn't alone or a freak. 
Physically I would rather have (mostly) masculine bits and be viewed as a boy, but aside from my body I don't actually feel like a male or a female. My masculine ideal would actually be more like a Korean drama  pretty boy instead of the traditional tall, broad shouldered man with the chiseled jaw. Not that I am Korean, just that I like the physical appearance.
As for pronouns, pretty much anything is ok, preferred "he", but I would even accept "it" since I don't really see it as derogatory.
SO. That's me in a nutshell.
  •  

Sevan

Hi Wren

Welcome! Sounds so much like me early on. Quite a bit. Sounds like you've found the right place. :)
I'm also the spouse to the fabulous Mrs. Cynthialee.

•  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Shantel

Hi Wren,
      Welcome to the gang, you are now an official member! Feel free to post your thoughts, dreams, plans and schemes, you're in good company here!
  •  

Padma

Hi and welcome, Wren!

(as you can see from my tag, wrens are special to me)
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Android

Now I've read all your introductions, I suppose it is time to post my own...

Hello everyone.
My name will be Sky, eventually.
Today I am 24 years old. I was born a female, lived through my earliest childhood wondering why I couldn't choose between playing in the boys' or the girls' team during recess, chose for playing with the boys when I got a few years older -- until puberty hit me and I figured I should adapt myself to my new physical presence, with the boobs and all.
It felt as if I were cosplaying all those years, and frankly, I never really minded that because I can enjoy a good dress-up party like any other.
During that time, when I looked into the mirror, I saw a boy in drag. And I loved it. But every time people referred to me as  "she" and "her", I died a little on the inside.

Deep down I have always known I should have been born a boy, though since I started to consider transitioning I more and more realized that I have always been androgynous. It's just that I should have been a male bodied androgyne; I finally realize that now, and it took me a hell of a while to find out.

Now I know this, I am struggling with myself about how to deal with this. For I am a hypocrite. 
I'm pansexual and like to see myself as gender-blind. Gender-based prejudices and sexism anger me to a point where I could kill someone.
The whole concept of gender alone just makes me sick. In my Utopia we would all just be humans. People. Persons. No emphasis on our hormones and private parts.
I've read it before in others' introductions -- Why is everything labeled to be for a specific gender? Clothes, to me, are just a piece of fabric to protect our flesh. Colours are something to beautify our world with. And a job is something anyone with the right skills can do, regardless of gender.

But still. I worry about my own gender. I resent to be perceived as female.
My feelings and beliefs are conflicting.
I wish I could be as gender-blind regarding myself as I am regarding to others.

Anyways, enough with the frustrations. Let's start over.

I'm Sky, a 24 year old rock singer from the Netherlands.
I am a borderline diagnosed vampire, who spends his days sleeping and his nights making music, playing video games, watching movies and drawing. One day I hope to publish an action packed manga.
Also, I want to learn Italian, but it isn't working out too well.

It would be fun to get to know you, yet I am not sure if I'm gonna post much. Fora scare me.

-Sky

I just want my body to feel like home.
  •  

Shantel

Hi Sky, don't worry you're cool here!
  •  

URse

Hello there everyone,

My name is Urse and I am going to be 22 in May. I came here because over the past couple of weeks I found myself pondering the ideas of gender and what role I had in society, since I never really felt like a girl except when I was in 3rd grade. As I grew older I found myself questioning my sexuality and came to the conclusion that I wasn't a lesbian. In Junior High School I was frequently called a lesbian and some people would even call me gay, even though genetically it was impossible for me to be gay.  I remember feeling the most hurt from those times and another time, in which I was going to a Private School and hadn't been able to get the female uniform, so on one particular day. I dressed like the guys and immediately I was called a lesbian by the men there. When I did get my female uniform, I felt shunned by the girls at my school. I am not sure if this effected me in someway or not, but I remember a time where I once saw my cousin and myself in a picture. Immediately I thought of myself as looking like an unattractive man, but not a beautiful woman.

My curiosity peeked much later when my Mother called me 'a beautiful woman' on several occasions this past month, the only thing I could think of was that I was a beautiful man but not a woman. This raised more questions for me and I began questioning whether or not I was trans. I knew I didn't want to change my biology, but at the same time in dresses and skirts I felt like an man. I started to think that it would be easier to live in the world as a man. But my hobbies and interests also made me question if I could do that. I love cooking, drawing, painting, planting, talking to birds, butterfly watching even. All these interests people would call feminine but I don't enjoy many of the hobbies that women are usually associated with such as gossip, shopping, hanging out with their girl friends, slumber parties etc... These questions led me more and more to ponder where my place in society was and through searching I began to research about androgyny and I was led here.

Biologically I don't want to change myself, but mentally I feel out of synch and yet not completely. I thought that maybe I was just a normal woman who had issues with my appearance. Yet the idea of living like a woman no longer appeals to me, it feels as though I would be be lying to myself if I became the stereotypical woman. Especially since I feel as though I've tried all my life to fit the ideal image of a woman. I want to make peace with myself and all these feelings I have accumulated over the years, and tell myself that these emotions are normal, but I don't know if they are or where to go to talk about these feelings. Especially since, in someway and I don't want to offend anyone, but I feel ashamed of being neither male or female, but at the same time. I feel as though by accepting this part of me, I won't be ashamed of being something that is normal. So I am here and hope to learn a great deal from my elders. I hope you do not mind that I call those of you here 'elders' It is out of respect, though perhaps the term 'teachers' sounds more appealing. In conclusion, I am still very new to all of this and want to learn more. So for those of you who read this, thank you. :3
  •