News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Non-Binary Introductions

Started by ativan, October 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantel

Quote from: insane_protagonist on October 12, 2013, 07:52:09 AM
Hi, I'm G. I'm a webcomic artist  currently living in Indianapolis. I identify as non-binary/genderqueer/androgyne although I think there might be a bit of "demi-guy" in there somewhere. I don't have my identity pinned down very well since it's only been like 2 years since I started figuring this out. I am married (for almost 10 years!) to a pansexual cisgender man who is wonderfully supportive.

I signed up for this site a couple of years ago but then I moved and sort of forgot about it, heh. A friend recently suggested that I should seek out online communities to hang out with and I thought of this board, so I came back (I'm also looking for in-person community but I live in Indiana, so....). : )

Hi everyone!
(PS., if anyone is curious, my webcomic is called "Title Unrelated" http://titleunrelated.com. It features a whole lot of queer characters.)

Hi hon,
     Welcome! This is ze place to be..btw you are most talented, so cool!
  •  

Lo

Quote from: insane_protagonist on October 12, 2013, 07:52:09 AM
Hi, I'm G. I'm a webcomic artist  currently living in Indianapolis. I identify as non-binary/genderqueer/androgyne although I think there might be a bit of "demi-guy" in there somewhere. I don't have my identity pinned down very well since it's only been like 2 years since I started figuring this out. I am married (for almost 10 years!) to a pansexual cisgender man who is wonderfully supportive.

I signed up for this site a couple of years ago but then I moved and sort of forgot about it, heh. A friend recently suggested that I should seek out online communities to hang out with and I thought of this board, so I came back (I'm also looking for in-person community but I live in Indiana, so....). : )

Hi everyone!
(PS., if anyone is curious, my webcomic is called "Title Unrelated" http://titleunrelated.com. It features a whole lot of queer characters.)

Yay, another cartoonist! Welcome.
  •  

insane_protagonist

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! :D

ReggieTheCroc

Hello there, my name is Reggie. I was born a female, but I identify as a nearly neutral androgyne/non-binary with a slight inclination towards male (One covets thy neighbor's gender, I suppose)

You can call me either Reg or Reggie, I'll answer to both. I picked it because my mother once told me that she was thinking of naming me Regina, after the subject in the song "Hard Luck Woman" by Kiss. I like Reggie because it could mean either Regina or Reginald, but I'm still looking for a nice gender neutral spelling for if/when I decide to change it legally. I'm kinda leaning towards something like Regin, Regen, or maybe I'll do it with a Y and be all edgy, Regyn. Dunno. Open to suggestions.

I think firstly I should mention that I tend to babble on at length. I'd like to think I say all that is necessary to say in order to include all relevant information and emotional tone on the subject at hand. Most people think I ramble, though. Because of that I usually try to remain silent unless I truly feel passionate or bothered by something.

I view myself primarily as an artist, if only an amateur. I've been drawing all my life, but lately I've been getting into 3D animation.

I am also asexual and aromantic, which those that know me might find odd as I rather enjoy erotic artwork and stories. I view eroticism and sexual subjects more as a genre of fantasy, something to experience in my head rather than act out physically with another being. I view romance in the same light, though that particular genre doesn't typically appeal to me even in the fantasy sense.

As for religion, I typically identify with Agnostic (lots of 'a-'s, I know) There is no proof of deity one way or the other, so I am not prepared to say anything certain on the matter. As for what I believe, I must recall something once written by Scott Cunningham in one of his books on Wicca. To paraphrase; there is an energy throughout the universe, a force of equal creation and destruction, of pure neutrality, and it makes up everything. Wiccans view this energy as the One and worship what they see as the feminine and masculine qualities of this One in the form of the Goddess and God respectively, not to say that these are actual physical beings with independent consciousness, but merely a way of personifying an abstract idea so that it is better understood by the human mind. This is rather close to what I believe, but I simply do not need the personification. I do not worship anything, rather I prefer to observe with respect, watching with curiosity as the universe unfolds.

I am also a member of the Furry community. I enjoy anthropomorphic animals in art and other fantasy subjects. For those who are curious my 'fursona', or the anthropomorphic character that best represents me, is a kind of fusion of a crocodile and a dragon. I sometimes refer to it as a Swamp Dragon, but I'm reluctant to leave out the emphasis on my crocodile side. Often I merely stick with Crocodile as to not confuse people.

I'm also quite a nerd. I collect comic books, mostly DC and IDW, and my favorite series at the moment is Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye. For those curious, my favorite superhero is Martian Manhunter. I'm very much a gamer, though I'm not terribly good at them. I love science, especially regarding astronomical phenomenon and theoretical physics. Science Fiction is my favorite genre, especially if there's a sexy green alien involved.

So, as you can see, if there's a norm out there, I've probably broken it. There aren't many places I fit in, but that's fine by me. I'd rather be in a cozy room with a few close friends than with a crowd of people I barely know.
  •  

Lo

Welcome, Reggie! You sound a lot like me, actually. ;]

(PS- Trad Wicca definitely doesn't have an agnostic/deistic bent-- they very much have and worship very specific deities, but their names are oathbound.)
  •  

Jamie D

For some of our newer friends here, if you have not seen these before, you might want to take a quick look.

Here are some links to help you navigate the site:

And feel free to ask me questions about the site.
  •  

ReggieTheCroc

Quote from: Lo on November 05, 2013, 08:57:36 PM
Welcome, Reggie! You sound a lot like me, actually. ;]

(PS- Trad Wicca definitely doesn't have an agnostic/deistic bent-- they very much have and worship very specific deities, but their names are oathbound.)

Thank you. And I apologize for any confusion. I certainly didn't mean to imply that all Wiccan Traditions had this sort of view, or any of them really. It was merely another way the author gave to help understand the ideas of Wicca, and the idea resonated with me. It was also a book primarily for solitary Wiccans, so that may have something to do with it.
  •  

Shantel

Hi Reggie,
      Welcome! Lo is right the two of you share a remarkable number of common interests.
  •  

Sellok

Hey, I consider myself bi-gender (from what I've read, it sounds kind of like me), the two-spirited kind who flip-flops back and forth between girl and boy personas. I don't mean to be that way, it just kind of happens.
When I was younger I tried to purge all my male-identifying feelings with Vulcan emotional suppression techniques, but they didn't work.

I have some medical conditions and I live with my parents still. When I'm in boy-mode, I kind of try to brush off most of what they say because the many times I have tried to explain how I feel over the years, they've never understood or taken me seriously. So, I guess they just think I switch between dressing somewhat casual-feminine to tomboyish. They call my binder a "compression bra", lol. I love them, though. I have problems and they love me and take good care of me. They just don't really understand this part of me, it can be hard sometimes, but probably common.

I'm glad I found information on androgyny and bi-gender stuff, though, because it made life seem a lot less complicated than before that.
  •  

LordKAT

Hi Sellok,

I'm glad you found your way here to Susan's.
  •  

Shantel

Welcome Sellok, you'll fit right in with this gang!  :)
  •  

Clyde

Good afternoon all. I identify as androgynous. I am genetically male and I feel no great attachment to the role of either gender. Gender roles in general tend to irritate me.
The benefits of being male in america are too substantial to forgo, so I intend to leave my ID's and other documents as they are. I do, however, strongly believe that I make more sense (if that makes sense) in a woman's body. At this point, I am looking into HRT and a GRS at some point in the future. The only sticking point is my fear that HRT will alter my personality. I hate that notion, because I love those characteristics that E is reported to reduce, ie: arrogance, aggressiveness, competitiveness, etc.

The reason that I posted this is that I am in dire need of some advice on the subject, and would appreciate any insight.

--Truly, Clyde
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Clyde on November 29, 2013, 01:38:18 PM
Good afternoon all. I identify as androgynous. I am genetically male and I feel no great attachment to the role of either gender. Gender roles in general tend to irritate me.
The benefits of being male in america are too substantial to forgo, so I intend to leave my ID's and other documents as they are. I do, however, strongly believe that I make more sense (if that makes sense) in a woman's body. At this point, I am looking into HRT and a GRS at some point in the future. The only sticking point is my fear that HRT will alter my personality. I hate that notion, because I love those characteristics that E is reported to reduce, ie: arrogance, aggressiveness, competitiveness, etc.

The reason that I posted this is that I am in dire need of some advice on the subject, and would appreciate any insight.

--Truly, Clyde

Hi Clyde,
      Welcome to Susan's Place! I read what you're saying and have done just about what you are thinking about. I've been on HRT a long time and have to admit that it took my brain for a big swing initially over to the female side and I became an emotional being for the first time in my life, but you are who you are mentally, morally and spiritually and eventually one's brain does come back to center so that you can think in either male or female mode if that's what you want. I didn't change any of my legal ID or paperwork as it would have been entirely too involved for me and wasn't important. I did have an orchiectomy but stopped short of SRS. I went from a type-A chloric to a type-B personality, however in a pinch I can quickly dredge up my old Type-A self. As it is, I enjoy living as a much more laid back type. Hope this is helpful!
  •  

Pica Pica

Quote from: Shantel on November 29, 2013, 02:00:03 PM
I went from a type-A chloric to a type-B personality, however in a pinch I can quickly dredge up my old Type-A self.

I didn't know we were still on the humours.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Jamie D

Hi, Clyde.  Pleased to meet you.

Quite a few of us here in non-binary-land can identify with your comments.  However, there are some innate traits that HRT would not likely affect.  At the same time, casting off you male socialization might have similar effects.  So, keep the socialization, try the HRT under medical supervision, and be the person you want to be.
  •  

Phoenix Grey

Hey-O!

Been a while since anyone posted here, eh?  Well, here goes anyway...

I'm going by the name Phoenix - totally cliche, I know... But it suits me and I'm sticking to it.  If society officially created a third gender, that's where I would be.  But society demands that we choose... There are only two choices on most government forms, right?  I've spent so much time in my natal gender, not necessarily comfortably but not in distress, that I find it difficult to imagine transitioning completely.  I would LOVE to be transgendered/transsexual... However, I've been rejecting and scorning society's definition of female for so long that is seems wrong to reject one, but embrace the other.  As much as I identify more with a male gender, the opposite extreme is just as damaging.  I have little desire to become a man, pass as a man, and deny my transgendered nature.  I am a horrible liar, and to try to pass as a man would feel that way to me.  I am not a man trapped in a woman's body - I'm just not a woman... But if I had to choose, I would be a man I guess.

Well, that was confusing... Ah, I guess I'm expressing myself well then, eh? LOL! Not much of an introduction, but it'll do for now.  The life story can be doled out over time. I'm happy to be here and finally able to talk about how I feel without fear of rejection.  Thank you, Susan, for creating a safe, loving place for people like us.

Time for more coffee...

~Phoenix
  •  

Shantel

Hey Phoenix,
       Welcome to the real world!
  •  

Phoenix Grey

Thanks Shantel! You're beautiful!  :D

I've spent the majority of the last 10 years hiding in relationships and video games...  :icon_userfriendly: Time to wake up! Reality can be a scary place, but I have to try not to turn back into an ostrich... I'm prettier than an ostrich anyway.   :o  My butt's probably as big though... not quite so feathery though. Hm... anyway... Did I say coffee?  :icon_yikes:

~Phoenix
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Phoenix Grey on December 15, 2013, 11:51:50 AM
Thanks Shantel! You're beautiful!  :D

I've spent the majority of the last 10 years hiding in relationships and video games...  :icon_userfriendly: Time to wake up! Reality can be a scary place, but I have to try not to turn back into an ostrich... I'm prettier than an ostrich anyway.   :o  My butt's probably as big though... not quite so feathery though. Hm... anyway... Did I say coffee?  :icon_yikes:

~Phoenix

Lol, I can tell that you are a cute person regardless of how you actually look or feel about yourself. Nice to have you here among friends and family!
  •  

MiaOhMya!

Hey Phoenix and welcome!

I understand your feelings on definitions for sure. I lived as Andro for some time, and actually it was tough! I got fired once for wearing make-up, so I know what you mean about just "wishing" you were trans.  My advice is for you to just be Phoenix and whatever he entails. If you're not trans then forget it that's okay, and if you figure out later that you are trans, then you are! In my opinion one shouldn't transition if they are still questioning; obviously that could be bad news.

I date a ftm guy, but he hasn't transitioned yet except by name. He is just such a masculine soul anyway that it's impossible to deny that he's being himself. The entire world thinks he's a she, but to me he's always a guy. What I'm saying is that I try to take a page from his book...he's just himself whatever that may be. He may be a girl on paper, but for Christmas presents he will get all maley-stuff because that's just him and people know it.

Frankly folks like he and you are an inspiration, because I completely agree that people are just way to complex for that "two-category filing system" as is so common. It's just silly why can't people see that!?!   ::)

Ok welcome again!  ;D
  •