Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Non-Binary Introductions

Started by ativan, October 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzifrommd

Hi apoth29gamer. Welcome to Susan's.  :icon_wave:

Here are some links to site policies and other helpful information:

I hope you find lots of help and support here. You sound like you're in a similar place to where I was when I joined nearly 3 years ago.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

apoth29gamer

Thank you for the warm welcome and the helpful links.  I think that I'm going to like it here...   :)

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: apoth29gamer on February 24, 2015, 12:33:39 PM
Hello everyone.  I've been lurking here for some time, and I figured that I'd finally step out into the light.  These boards have been hugely helpful in coming to terms with a few things, so before I launch into the "this is who I am" thing, I wanted to say thank you.  Thank you so very much.

/takes mental breath and jumps in.

I am a 41 year old active duty service member.  A medic, to be precise.  It's only recently that I've finally been able to come to terms with who I am, and who I want to be.  I am MAAB with a definite desire to be more feminine.  At this stage right now, the term genderqueer applies rather well to me.  I'm bisexual as well, and have had wonderful relationships I'll always treasure.   I know I want to express myself as more feminine than I can right now, and have begun to take small steps to at least presenting as more gender neutral. 

I've always known that something was "off" about me, but I was raised in a very conservative religious home and sent to private religious schools.  So, you can imagine how the one conversation I dared to have with someone about that ended up.  I buried it deep and hid it away, thinking that it would eventually go away. 

Transitioning fully is not something I can do right now.  I've built a nice military career, of which I am approaching the tail end.  50% of my base pay for the rest of my life is not something to throw away lightly.  On top of that, being outed as any kind of transgender is grounds for dismissal from service here in America.  I've managed to hide this for so long, but it's true what they say:  it does get worse the older one gets. 

These boards have been a wonderful source of comfort for me.  Coupled with a couple of very discreet doctors, they've helped to make thing a little more bearable.  I'm looking forward to talking with you more in the future!

Hi apoth29gamer, welcome to Susan's Place! I'm from Boston. Thank you for your service, why don't you muster in here: Roll Call We have many veterans and active duty members here. I spent a summer mailing care packages to one of our members who was deployed in Basrah. See you around the site!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Sisyphus

I'm not sure what I should be saying here for my introduction. I'm a new, new new newbie. I'm not really a lurker. I've run across Susan's place several times over the years but have never spent a lot of time in the forums. i'm tried of being non-binary and alone, so I thought I should try to reach out for community. And by alone, I don't mean without a partner, I mean without a place where I can feel safe discussing being non-binary. Eyes seemed to practically fall out of faces, even from people who love you the most, when I bring this up.

What other kind of information might be nice for me to put in an introduction (without compromising privacy of course).
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Sisyphus on March 07, 2015, 05:37:15 PM
I'm not sure what I should be saying here for my introduction. I'm a new, new new newbie. I'm not really a lurker. I've run across Susan's place several times over the years but have never spent a lot of time in the forums. i'm tried of being non-binary and alone, so I thought I should try to reach out for community. And by alone, I don't mean without a partner, I mean without a place where I can feel safe discussing being non-binary. Eyes seemed to practically fall out of faces, even from people who love you the most, when I bring this up.

What other kind of information might be nice for me to put in an introduction (without compromising privacy of course).

Welcome to Susan's dear Sisyphus.  I hope you are not tired of pushing that rock interminably up hill as the myth suggests :D  Names aside this a place you can be yourself and explore with us, your experiences and what all of that means to you.  Some folks really want a place to share very personal ideas and feelings, others seem more socially and politically oriented.  Whatever floats your boat will likely find a sympathetic or understanding ear here.   I found my personal journey was delayed for too long by feeling I did not fit the binary world.  While I knew I was not a man I was far less certain than some about who and what I was.  I am feeling much clearer about this being a path to finding myself.  We have some exceptional writers and contributors here that write pages of prose and allegory while others are succinct and to the point.  Your style is what you make it IMO.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Sisyphus

Thank you for the response. Its nice to call across a valley and hear a reply back. Hopefully I will find my style and groove soon. Its best if I don't wait to complete this task of getting the rock over the tip of the mountain; it feels like its taking forever to do and its been rolling back down the hill just when I think I've got it, for years.
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Sisyphus on March 10, 2015, 06:42:53 PM
Thank you for the response. Its nice to call across a valley and hear a reply back. Hopefully I will find my style and groove soon. Its best if I don't wait to complete this task of getting the rock over the tip of the mountain; it feels like its taking forever to do and its been rolling back down the hill just when I think I've got it, for years.

An apt comparison to the many times some of us have purged our clothes and tried to do the same with the truth about who we are.  I tried transitioning back in the 90's but found few resources especially in the counseling and  health arenas.  Eventually i took on a "damn the torpedoes" attitude and made a commitment to working this through rather than slipping back into the morass of my despair.  I am very impressed with so many young people who seem to know clearly what is wrong/right and are able to marshal the resources to make changes early in life.  I recently attended a diversity conference in Miami and a student group made panel presentation.  Again it was so refreshing to see how comfortable they were with discussions of race, ethnicity, orientation and identity without the need for labels.  Things are getting better IMO. :D :D :D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Sisyphus

I too am impressed. My nibling at 13 is so much father along in a framework and discussion and community and have a place of acceptance and etc. etc. than I am even in my particular decade. I'm glad to see the progress.

I don't know if nibling is common usage since its something that we use, but we use it as the gender neutral for child of a sibling, ie, niece/nephew/nibling.
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Sisyphus on March 11, 2015, 12:37:37 PM
I too am impressed. My nibling at 13 is so much father along in a framework and discussion and community and have a place of acceptance and etc. etc. than I am even in my particular decade. I'm glad to see the progress.

I don't know if nibling is common usage since its something that we use, but we use it as the gender neutral for child of a sibling, ie, niece/nephew/nibling.

Nibling, I love it, and thanks for the explanation.  One of my sisters struggled at first and then coined the term "brister" to describe our new relationship.  The nieces, nephews, and niblings in our huge family are admirably more out and proud than my generation of the Gi Joe generation. 
  •  

I_zack

I'm here because my therapist recommended it.  Seriously.

I'm in my early 50s, and am only now discovering my non-binariness.  (Is that a word.)  I have long believed everyone was on a spectrum, and that while most were very much on one end or the other, they were still on a spectrum.  I always viewed myself as way over on the straight cis guy end of the spectrum.  In the last six months, I have allowed myself, with the help of the awesome Alex Sabrina Morgan, to realize that I'm really not.  I've become far more aware of my own personal "femme" qualities, my wish to (sometime) have a female body or at least portions of a female body.  I've realized that if I fell for a MtF trans woman, while it would no doubt mess with my head some, it ultimately wouldn't matter because it is the person who counts, not the body parts.  Sure, I'm attracted to the female form and figure, but that's not what keeps me interested; it's the person.

I'm here because I'm scared, and feel very much alone, and want a community and support and encouragement.  I don't need dates; when I'm ready, I'll get those on my own in my own way, and I'm glad this is not a place for that.  A community; that's what I need.

OK; that was scary.

<Post modified Cindy>
  •  

Tessa James

Hi Zack,

Nice to have another fellow traveler on these pages.  Welcome again and I believe there are opportunities here for just what you seek.  Some of our friends here have created magical fantasy like "forests," long joking polemics, and of course endless essays of prose and pop culture too.  Safety is important to many of us and that includes being able to make mistakes and feel vulnerable while exploring identity and experience.  Creating community means sharing time and space together even it is sequential and from around the world.---what a great range of perspectives to get feed back from eh?

Good luck
  •  

Roberta W

Dont feel alone!  Heavens in this forum there are many, many supportive people ... Like minded ... And we've all "been there" and are "still there".  With time just participating and sharing in this forum will build your confidence, and you'll find yourself amongst many friends.  Thanks for joining in. Roberto ... or Roberta if you prefer!
It took a lot of doing, but I take a lot of pride in what I am.
  •  

kayliyth

Hello,

Some of you might recognize me from when I introduced myself as a supportive spouse to someone going through at MTF transition. Things have changed and this is kind of my story.

"You act so manly, are you sure you're not a man?" She, my fiancée, stated to me as she brushed a stray lock of hair out of my face. My pulse raced, my heart was pounding in my ears, and my mind was already trying to explain all my actions and justify everything quicker than I could speak. I was reeling. She pushed me to look towards FTM transitioning, hoping that I would be better with myself, happier.

I went to sleep crying, barely slept as I thought on it and texted my good friend.

In the morning she, my good friend, and I discussed it. Was I FTM and in denile? Was I just really butch? What did this all mean? Pages upon pages, minutes turned to hours, and I'm pretty sure google thinks I can't decide what gender I want to be. I just didn't 'fit' the mould quiet right. I didn't want to lose my woman parts, and it distressed me to think that I could have them gone...forever. What if I didn't like having a penis? I mean penises are awesome, you can urinate standing up, and then there's all the things you can do sexually. Plus part of me always wanted to know what it felt like to get a blow job (sorry NSFW?), but in the reality, when I closed my eyes and thought of myself 20, 40, 60 years down the road?

I was an old grey haired woman appearing woman. Though with masculine clothes. Sometimes with fancy womanly clothing. I love sparklies. I love clothing that I can get dirty in, when it doesn't matter if I get full of saw dust, and grass shavings, and whatever else. What the heck?

I wasn't convinced, I was convinced I was struggling in the middle. I was a tom boy, as a child I never wore dresses or skirts, my mother pleaded with me and there were a few occassions, but I loved pants OH SO MUCH. I also hated have a shirt on, especially in the summer cause it was hot and it simply wasn't fair that little Johnny down the street could run around in his swim shorts, why'd I have to a have a shirt on?!

I have always found it more fun and easier to be friend men. I love being 'one of the guys' I'm totally okay with them not looking at me in a sexual way and considering me just another of the dudes.  I love making women friends, I love being around women and speaking about hair and make up, doing nails, gossiping about what every little thing our partners said, and over analysing it.

My mtf friend helped me greatly. She asked how I felt right at that moment, what did I feel my gender was. There was a long pause, words in my head couldn't describe it, and finally sobbing I wailed "I FEEL LIKE NO GENDER, I FEEL LIKE A DITTO! (For those who don't know what a ditto is, its a pokemon that can turn into any other pokemon and basically is a shapeshifter)."

She paused,  and began to explain gender fluid to me. Suddenly the horrible confusion lifted. It fit so right. So often I feel neutral, gender as no real role in my day to day things. That cuppboard needs to be rescrewed on? Lets do that >-bleeped-<. I wanna paint my nails? What colour am I feeling? I don't wanna shave my legs and wanna be like chewbacca? Hell yes rock that European look!

As I became more aware of it I noticed a tendancy. If I was a pie chart...I'd say I spend a majority of the delicious pie, as androgynous gender has no true role, I'm human I'm me. For a precent I'd say 50% of the time I'm just nothing more than a human. My clothing isn't overtly feminine nor is it mascule. It just is a reflection of my personality.

That is how I feel right now. Will it change? Yeup. I bounce easily from one 'assigned' gender to the next. Sometimes I'm feeling so masculine that I get dysphoric when I look down and go 'oh right I have breasts...and a vagina." I get annoyed at them, I dont' feel like a woman dammit but I have that woman part!

Other times I'm feeling so feminine I'm happy to wear nice frilly and pretty tops, showing off my assets, make up and hair included. I feel pretty and nothing can bring me down! Those heels look killer on me and I know it yo!

And then I drift listless between being feminine yet masculine at the same time. Its even been noticed when I'm feeling more masculine my voice drops naturally, my stance changes, I sit different.

I'm 'coming' out in a sense.

I'm genderfluid, though I do hover around the tomboy/masculine female/feminine male area quiet a lot. Hormone therapy? I've given it thought. Though currently I'm more looking into a breast reduction (from a DD+ to a more manageable size, between B-C) and a hysterectomy. I notice when I'm on my period the dysphoria is unreal. I hate my body, because during that time of month, its hard to maintain the feeling of being male when my uterus is pissed off that I didn't get it all pregnant. I've hated it since I had the damn thing.

I know there are those out there that frown on the gender fluid. But I'm not bi gendered, I don't want to transition to one set of body just to be happier.

I'm posting this, with hopes there are others like me.

My pronouns I'm playing with is co (he/she), cos (his/her), coself (herself/himself) and my name? Who knows.

Thanks for listening.

Kay
Gender and sexuality are fluid, like a river or an ocean, there are many choices and many avenues, and they don't always go one way, like different currents sometimes you end up somewhere you never thought.

Cis Bisexual Woman in love with a MtF woman.

Helping him become her.
  •  

Tessa James

Change is the story of our life.  Thank you for sharing a sweet narrative snapshot of your journey together.  That you are both wiling to push the too typical boundaries of relationships and gender is a testament to diversity.  Sounds like fun to me!

"I was an old grey haired woman appearing woman. Though with masculine clothes. Sometimes with fancy womanly clothing. I love sparklies. I love clothing that I can get dirty in, when it doesn't matter if I get full of saw dust, and grass shavings, and whatever else. What the heck?" Quote: kayliyth

Yesterday was my birthday and I celebrated by walking in the woods, paddling our canoe upstream with my dog and just being free to be me..."an old grey haired woman with sparkles......."

Very cool pie and gender descriptors on that breakdown.

•  

Lili-Fera

*** I set out to write a short introduction but it got longer than I intended even after leaving a few things out ***

Hi, I'm Lili and after lurking here for about a Month I think it's time to introduce myself.

First some basics, Dutch, ginger, nerd, a few months away from 40 and Bi-gender.

I've known my whole life I didn't really fit in the traditional male role but I also learned at a young age that this is thought off as weird. I got bullied for a lot of things, being extremely skinny (to put it crudely I looked like I had an eating disorder as a kid, nowadays my T-shirt size is XL because of my belly), ginger and being a bit neurotic  (I got diagnosed with Autism in my early thirties) I was the ideal bully victim and being bullied because I walked like a girl was just to much.

So when I was about 10 years old I decided to hide that part of me, I chanced the way I walked, stood and sat, when I hit puberty and I got facial hair I immediately grew a beard (in  20 years I shaved it of about 10 times, most times because I messed up trimming it), I got so deep in the closet that I hardly knew I was in there. But as hard as I tried to hide my feminine side to the world and to myself it kept slipping in.

But instead of admitting to myself that I have a non traditional gender-identity I twisted it into other things, my cross dressing tendencies for example turned into a fascination with kilts and I didn't like wearing panties because I find them comfy and calming, I convinced myself that it was a fetish. Because I never was able to come to terms with my gender-identity I've never been able to fully mature sexually, the last few years I started to wander if I was asexual and if so was I asexual because I'm asexual or because I was to neurotic for romantic relations.

Little over 4 weeks ago I was talking to one of my autism counselors when I blurted out that I feel 20 to 30 percent feminine, I honestly don't know why or how I decided to tell. All I remember is that when I started the sentence I wasn't sure if I would and should finish it (she later told that I actually stopped halfway trough and waited for about half a minute) but when I had said it I felt a strange combination of panic and relieve. I also realized that the closet I hid in was no longer there, it has imploded and that if I kept on hiding it it would be a conscious process.

The first week my brain went on overdrive. This was a combination of my autism and a desire to make up for lost time. I ordered some stuff on E-bay, looked up hair removal (not just general information but also comparing prices) and much more. I wanted to much and after sleepless nights, crying and a lot of stress in general I had a minor nervous breakdown combined with what should have been a minor cold and after spending about 24 hours in bed, to messed up to sleep to tired to be really awake I decided I needed help. I talked to my doctor and with her help I'm looking for specialist help to figure things out. I told the 2 woman who run the autism meet up I go to every week so they know why I might be a bit distracted and stressed out in the coming time. Luckily the people I told were very understanding and supportive and with a film festival to distract me and the moral support of my autism counselor I was able to tell my parent last Wednesday,  it went fantastic.

So at the moment I need to take my time and figure out what this all means to me, I'm much calmer and closer to myself than just a few weeks ago and although I know that I will encounter some hard times and scary moments I want to see whats next for me.

Love and thanks Lili Fera
Lili Fera     (Miss.Lili.Fera@gmail.com)
  •  

Tessa James

Hello Lili-Fera and welcome to Susan's Place.  Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.  Many of us share your experience of knowing we are different at an early age and paid the price with bullying and then living in the closet of shame and denial.  Coming out is so sweet and so freeing!  When we share our once secret news we are often rewarded by having others share their vulnerable truths with us too.  We can be closer to people by being so open. 
I hid behind a beard for decades  and also have a nephew who is part of the autism spectrum and is also gender fluid/queer.  There is some research that suggests aspergers/autism folks may have greater transgender numbers but you are a unique individual and the labels don't always work for us in catching our complexity.

Glad to hear that you are feeling calm and taking your time and that is fantastic news that your parents and others are helping you build a circle of support.  What a great start coming out!  I hope and trust you will maintain that curiosity about whats next for you and believe it will be a better and brighter world for the true you.
  •  

Caduti Morte

Hi!
I was born Stacy Nicole but recently I've been thinking of asking people to call me Stacy Alexander (or just Alex).

I guess for some little details about me first: I am 23, AFAB, not sure if I'm suppose to be here, not sure if I am genderfluid or tri-gender or demiboy.

I honestly don't know what to say.
I was pretty much told my whole life that since I was born female that I could only be female. I was condition to think that way from a young age. My father always loved to tell me that "girls should act in such such a way". And later on, when i was around 10 or so, he started adding little things like "A boy won't like a girl who...". Stepping outside of what he considered normal for a girl usually ended in me being punished. An example of which would be when my grandma took me to get a haircut and I asked them to cut it so that it was just above my shoulders. It was still long in my opinion and they styled it in a girlish fashion (because you know, I was a girl physically). My dad flipped out when I got home and locked me in my room for two days for trying to be a boy.

That being said I always knew that I wasn't like most other girls. I was interested in some of the things they were; like dolls and tea parties, but I always had that sense that I never quite fit in. I'm not sure how to explain it except that no matter how apart of a group of girls I was I always felt like I was a stranger looking in. It was sort of a feeling that I was internally different. Yet, I could hang out with the boy and feel like I was one of the guys. I had always liked that, yet at the same time I was not physically like them and I still felt a little different internally. I guess these days I can identify that feeling as being genderless.

I get confused by my gender a lot. Some days I wake up feeling like I am a boy and I want nothing more than to be a boy. I have these days a lot. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I am a boy but that there is a small part of me that is something else all together. I call that something else female because I don't really know what else to call it. Though I prefer my boy days most of all I don't mind those boy-something else days either. Then I have days like I am having today, where I just feel like I am nothing. I feel like I have no gender and I do not like these days. They make question if I am trans. They make me question if I am just a confused girl. On days like today I feel like hate myself and that I am crazy. I hate my body on these days more than I usually do, and I hate that I just can't be happy with I got. The genderless days are what I had throughout high school.

I know it sounds crazy but it is the only way I know how to explain it. Six months ago I gave into what I was feeling after I dressed up like a boy for the first time in forever and found that I loved it. I felt more like me than I had in a long time. I thought at first I was FtM but that never really sat right. I did have body dysphoria. I hated my breast and had always imagined myself with a more masculine chest, as well as a more masculine body build. I do want top surgery, and hormones sounds very applying. I have to admit that even during my genderless days in highschool I would often feel like I was also a gay guy (not even sure if that is possible). Ever since I was little I have always wished and desired that I would wake up a boy. Though I never wanted a penis I was jealous that boys had one, wishing I could stand to pee as well, and as I got older I often would imagine myself having sex as a guy. I always knew that I would be happier as a guy, even if I had days where I didn't feel male.

A very confusing intro but I'm having one of those days where I am filled with doubt and confusion.
  •  

suzifrommd

Welcome to Susan's, Alex. You definitely belong here. You'll find many people who are going through the same thing you are. Nothing you say sounds crazy. It all sounds like the sort of thing people here wrestle with (an work through).

I want to comment on something you wrote:

Quote from: Caduti Morte on April 18, 2015, 09:50:55 PM
I guess for some little details about me first: I am 23, AFAB, not sure if I'm suppose to be here, not sure if I am genderfluid or tri-gender or demiboy.

You didn't ask for advice, so feel free to ignore my suggestion if it isn't right for you. But early in my exploration, I wasted a lot of mental energy trying to put a label on my particular brand of queerness. As I've progressed, I've found that was pretty much wasted effort. Gender defies labeling in many cases. Things got better when I instead concentrated on how I wanted to live and what changes I wanted to make in my life.

I hope this helps.

Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

adrian

Hey Alex,

welcome to the community! You absolutely belong here! :)
  •  

Tessa James

Hey Alex, I agree with Suzi and Adrian.  You belong here and I trust can find a place to explore and work thru ideas and issues with some support.  I really like the pie chart kayliyth made for themself as I am a visual learner and can get that we all have days were we still don't fit in with the dominant paradigms and stereotypes about gender and gender roles.

Welcome!
  •