Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Non-Binary Introductions

Started by ativan, October 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantel

That's great advice Ativan! It's so easy to be influenced by the thoughts and personal agenda of others. Having attended trans-group meetings in the past I noticed how group-think seemed to prevail, a few went on to the applause of the group and became someone that they later came to regret. I recall one post-op woman who re-appeared at the meetings unexpectedly. She had a great outcome transitioning into a good looking woman. She was a manufacturer's rep and met a fellow on the east coast who fell in love with her and even proposed. Meanwhile while visiting her family back home, her children had been missing their daddy, and her former spouse wanted to get back together and was willing to take her back just as she now was. She met up with an old buddy dressed in jeans and a Pendleton shirt, suddenly she was overcome with huge regrets. I recall this event well because her experience caused me to do some deep introspection on my own and I backed out of SRS at the last moment.
You are absolutely correct Ativan, this business requires a lot of thought. As for now let me say that learning to just be me and integrating with family and my close society is most important in the overall scheme of life.
  •  

Carbon

QuoteShe met up with an old buddy dressed in jeans and a Pendleton shirt, suddenly she was overcome with huge regrets. I recall this event well because her experience caused me to do some deep introspection on my own and I backed out of SRS at the last moment.

I feel like very few people regret transition, but a lot of people regret individual things they did or gave up, like going through SRS because without it you can't be a "real" woman, regardless of whether you actually want it. Obviously I don't believe that, but there is a lot of pressure for people to think that way.
  •  

no-time-to-panic

It's great to finally talk with people about this. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words!

I'll keep in mind your advice, Ativan. Though determining whether something is truly of yourself or influenced strongly by others can be difficult. Furthermore, staying stagnant when you should take action can be just as harmful as taking action that you come to regret. Then, I could be bias to that regard seeing as I've been painfully stagnant up until recently. Still, it's much harder to withdraw action once regretted than it is to take action once you're certain. The hardest thing out of all, however, is to be absolutely certain. Either way, something as irreversible as surgery or hormones would be a long way off for me, circumstantially.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Carbon on May 05, 2012, 01:11:45 PM
I feel like very few people regret transition, but a lot of people regret individual things they did or gave up, like going through SRS because without it you can't be a "real" woman, regardless of whether you actually want it. Obviously I don't believe that, but there is a lot of pressure for people to think that way.

Don't we know! It's OK though because generally five minutes from now the things that other people think or have to say about me and my situation or of that other woman I was referring to will have absolutely no impact on our lives. We all do as we feel led, sometimes there are others close to us who are so negatively impacted by our decisions that there comes a time when we have to either rethink our game plan or lose our souls.
  •  

ativan

N-T-T-P
There are some well intentioned people that pass on their information and opinions, from a binary and or transsexual point of view. They are for the most part, correct for who they are and the view points that go along with who they are. The problems arise when the information given is incorrect for non-binaries.

The fault lies in the inability to understand the difference between Androgyn's, etc. and when they (binaries) have been at a stage of partial transition. They mistakenly think of it as being basically the same thing. It's not. This goes both ways. They are traveling from one end of a gender spectrum to the other end. We are transitioning (if at all) within the vastness between those ends of the so called spectrum, without any need to be at one end or the other. The spectrum is what they travel through and is very similar to where non-binaries are. It's very much the same at certain instances, but only for those short periods of time.

Non-binaries are not on that spectrum, but rather in a place that parallels, so to speak, that between gender spectrum. There aren't any clear cut ends to it (think fades away). The needs and wants that belong to non-binaries are very different from Transsexuals (there are others, but I use them as a best example). Just as how we tend to go about things, and our desires to transition specifically to our own needs are not good advice for them, so it is to try and use their ways of transitioning. There are of course exceptions, when either wish a transition like the other.

Then there is the vast variety of non-binaries that have different goals in mind. Makes for a very confusing list of how to's. That's why it is best to research and seek out knowledgable professionals who are up to date. Lot's has been happening in the last few years, and even in the last year things have changed. That's not to say that there aren't some very up to date and knowledgable people here, right now. There are. But you still need to decide if the information is right for you.

The other thing about reading peoples accounts and opinions here is that at first it can sound like just what you need or are.
Probably not. The diversity is enormous. So just be careful not to become what you read and don't think that one persons med regime and/or opinion is going to be correct for you. Again, there are some very knowledgeable people here, you need to decide what is right for you.

I'm not trying to sound discouraging, in fact, We want you to explore here and find out more about yourself by reading what others have to say. We want you to discover who you really are, and help you find out what is going to truly make you happy. Odds are good for that. It might get tough at times, but that happens to us all. There are many really good people here that can help you through the tough times. A few scars never hurts anyone. The best journeys in life always leave you with a few to brag about, lol. We and those also just getting here, can benefit from what you learn as well.

Ativan
  •  

no-time-to-panic

Ah, I believe I see what you mean now, Ativan.

I've been familiar with the non-binary spectrum for some time. I never saw it as an "in-between" male and female. (Though, I suppose for some it can be.) The most accurate visual representation I've seen is comparing gender to the color/value wheel. Even that is not a perfect metaphor.

Because of the array of non-binary genders, there is less overlap as to what's best from person to person than if one were to transition to a binary gender. You are advising to be certain to understand yourself, and not look too heavily for the opinions and ideas of others for a way to define yourself. Not to say a person shouldn't explore, but one needs to keep sight of who they truly are and understand that what works for another might not be best for them. Also, do not necessarily look at how binary genders transition as an example for how one who is non-binary transitions. Am I understanding you more correctly now?
  •  

Shantel

Ativan's biology lesson, within this community there is Species, Phylum and Sub-Phylum and so it goes! It was an eloquent and well articulated post Ativan!  :)
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Ativan on May 05, 2012, 08:45:47 PM
N-T-T-P
There are some well intentioned people that pass on their information and opinions, from a binary and or transsexual point of view. They are for the most part, correct for who they are and the view points that go along with who they are. The problems arise when the information given is incorrect for non-binaries....

SNIP for brevity

.... I'm not trying to sound discouraging, in fact, We want you to explore here and find out more about yourself by reading what others have to say. We want you to discover who you really are, and help you find out what is going to truly make you happy. Odds are good for that. It might get tough at times, but that happens to us all. There are many really good people here that can help you through the tough times. A few scars never hurts anyone. The best journeys in life always leave you with a few to brag about, lol. We and those also just getting here, can benefit from what you learn as well.

Ativan

Really well stated, Ativan.  Thanks
  •  

Taka

welcome all new members!

it's nice to see other people joining when i myself was away. i hope your stay will be useful and uplifting for you

i've been gone because of work, funerals, depression, and lack of gender dysphoria for a while
now that my boss magically managed to pull me out of the worst depression, i feel like i can start searching for myself again

Quote from: Ativan on May 05, 2012, 08:45:47 PM
N-T-T-P
Ativan
you really know how to say it, ativan. your advice here is just as good as the one you once gave me in a slightly more incomprehensible writing style (unfortunately it was deleted later. and you probably don't even remember it since the significanse of it was immeasurable only to me)
  •  

Empty Miroir

Well, I'm Empty Miroir (french for mirror), I lurked here a few years ago and have sporadically crawled back at times to check up on everything. Though I found it high time to make myself known, I'm getting more focused and serious when it comes to my gender identity. I'm 21 years old, Canadian, born female but feel that I'm genderless and I know that the body I have now isn't reflecting my true self. I've been wanting top surgery for at least 5 years.

I live like a hermit, staying inside almost 24/7 and have taken up painting along with my drawings.
I love horror, morbid and creepy things and have an obsession with naming all my possessions.
I want to eventually become a graphic novelist, I love making up stories and visualizing them on paper.
"He's leaving you behind. And by the time you catch up, he'll be a different person." -Vanitas
  •  

ativan

•  

axolotl`

Found this forum through a google for something unrelated, but I am happy to see it exists!

I am completely gender neutral. To me personally, I do not understand how people slap gender on anything, clothes, names, objects, places.. literally anything. I do not fully understand gender as a concept at all! It really baffles me.

That said, I do have a penis, it is pretty great. I wear clothes that I find comfortable and think look good, whether it is jeans, skirts, shirts, anything. I tend to prefer clothes 'intended' for girls, but this is mainly due to my small size and the fact 'mens' clothes do not fit. At all. Ever. EXTRA small is 36" chest? Good grief!

Occasionally I get a little dysphoric about not having breasts, I am not sure what causes this. Dysphoria even seems too strong a word to describe it.. sometimes it upsets me, sometimes it just bugs me. I have some fake ones that I like to put on sometimes, but whether that makes me feel better or worse about it is a little random.

Aaanyway! It is nice to meet everyone! Sorry if I came across a little frank and offended anyone, was just trying to get my take on things across. Of course I have no problem with how anyone else feels!
  •  

Jamie D

Just a little information for our new members on the Androgyne board:

Welcome to Susan's  :)   Nice to have you here

Please be sure to review

You are also welcome to post your biography on the Introductions board.

Welcome aboard.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: axolotl` on May 17, 2012, 12:36:53 AM
Found this forum through a google for something unrelated, but I am happy to see it exists!

Welcome.  axolotl` sounds like a Nahuatl name.  Does it have a translation?
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Empty Miroir on May 16, 2012, 12:42:15 PM
Well, I'm Empty Miroir (french for mirror), I lurked here a few years ago and have sporadically crawled back at times to check up on everything. Though I found it high time to make myself known, I'm getting more focused and serious when it comes to my gender identity. I'm 21 years old, Canadian, born female but feel that I'm genderless and I know that the body I have now isn't reflecting my true self. I've been wanting top surgery for at least 5 years.

I live like a hermit, staying inside almost 24/7 and have taken up painting along with my drawings.
I love horror, morbid and creepy things and have an obsession with naming all my possessions.
I want to eventually become a graphic novelist, I love making up stories and visualizing them on paper.

Humans, by nature, are social beings. I hope interacting with your contemporaries here helps you re-connect.  I know about being isolated, and it can be very tough.

There are several posters here who are into graphic novels, comics, etc. "Malachite" comes to mind.
  •  

Empty Miroir

Quote from: Jamie D on May 17, 2012, 05:20:37 AM
Humans, by nature, are social beings. I hope interacting with your contemporaries here helps you re-connect.  I know about being isolated, and it can be very tough.

There are several posters here who are into graphic novels, comics, etc. "Malachite" comes to mind.
Thanks for the warm welcome Jamie D! Yes, I definitely hope to come out of my shell, and this seems like the best place to do it. It feels like safe haven to me.
And thank you for the suggestion, hopefully malachite won't be too creeped out when a random stranger PM's them. Lol.
"He's leaving you behind. And by the time you catch up, he'll be a different person." -Vanitas
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Empty Miroir on May 20, 2012, 10:21:33 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Jamie D! Yes, I definitely hope to come out of my shell, and this seems like the best place to do it. It feels like safe haven to me.
And thank you for the suggestion, hopefully malachite won't be too creeped out when a random stranger PM's them. Lol.

As I recall, you will need to get the the 15 post threshold before the personal messaging utility is turned on.

"Malachite" and some of the other graphic novel/comic fans frequently post in the  "General Discussions" forum.

Again, welcome.
  •  

MiaOhMya!

Hi emtpy miroir!  Welcome!   ;D

I understand how you feel. I too hid myself away...still do sometimes. I am really trying hard to get over the emotional trauma I experienced through the years. Lying about who we are inflicts real damage.

There's a part of me who still hides, and I know I won't be truly free until I get over that part. I'm okay with being alone, but hiding away is what bothers me most because it never solves the real issue.

Transition is, for me, coming out of hiding. It's tough to stand and have the courage to be one's self. I feel like a captive animal learning to be free; I look back and see my old cage as a familiar yet cruel comfort. Its a place I know. This uncharted wilderness of life is scary, and its hard work learning to trudge forward rather than run back to my cage at the first sign of peril.  However the further away I get, the more I can handle. Have faith in yourself!!
  •  

ativan

You have many here who have faith in you. There are many who truly wish your journey to be as easy as possible.
A few scars along the way will give you something to talk about and hopefully use to help others who come to this place.
We all have our stories, yours will become one of the many that are here.

Ativan
  •