Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Spooky Movies

Started by Plague, October 23, 2011, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plague

Hay just a though girls and boys and all.. what movie to watch for Hollween night?  >:-) ( please really scary one's) ???
I love to be Spooked out of my socks (eventhough they don't mach.....socks)
  •  

amanda barber

Carnival of Souls (old 1960's movie)
Exorcist
Hellraiser
8mm (not a "horror movie" but its disturbing enough you might not leave your house or sleep with the lights out for a week)
  •  

Thrall

i was spooked out by imdb rewiev (didn't even give a try for a trailer):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1467304/ Human Centipede
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1530509/ Human Centipede II

or was i grossed out?
  •  

Amy85

The only movie that really spooked me, rather than just gross me out or startle me at times, was The Grudge with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

But for funsies I regularly rewatch the Dawn of the Dead remake from a few years ago.
  •  

Flan

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

MaryT

Dead of Night, released in 1945, is still probably the spookiest movie ever made.  It also has a superb cast and directors.

The Rocking Horse Winner, released in 1949 and starring John Mills, is based on the D H Lawrence story and is deeply disturbing.

The Ninth Gate is one of the horror movies I can watch over and over again.  Another spooky Roman Polanski film is Rosemary's Baby.

The original Japanese version of Ring is superb.

The original Cat People is a classic, although I also like the remake.

The 1957 movie Night of the Demon, based on the M R James story Casting the Runes, is another favourite.

Amanda Barber has already mentioned Carnival of Souls.

Let the Right One In is sometimes said to be a love story rather than horror.   That's nonsense.  If you understand the story, you wait in dread for the real horror, which is to come after the movie ends.  The English language version Let Me In makes that more clear, although the drab Swedish setting in the original helps with the "suspension of disbelief".

The Shining, Angel Heart, An American Werewolf in London, the Omen, the Exorcist, Company of Wolves, Hellraiser and Candyman are other unmissable classics.

For fun along with scares, I'm also very fond of Ghoulies.  The poster of a ghoulie emerging from a toilet, with the slogan "They'll Get You in the End", says a lot.

Poltergeist is a favourite of many but it didn't really push my buttons.

•  

MaryT

I saw Hereditary a few weeks ago.  The subject matter does have a transgender connection, actually, but I won't go into that.

Roll wrote that when she watched it, some people walked out because parts of it were so shocking.  She wrote that it was a very well made film, though, and I agree.

Nobody walked out when I saw it.  That may have been partly because it was a matinee showing.  There were only three others in the cinema besides me, all women.  The film is spooky and slowly builds tension, rather than relying on gore.  There were some truly horrific scenes, though.  Being in a cinema with surround sound added to the atmosphere.

The fact that I wasn't traumatised by the movie is probably partly because I have seen a lot of horror movies and partly because I was already traumatised by the snack prices by the time I entered the theatre.  It was my first visit to a cinema since the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  The total cost was £14 of which only £6.70 was for the movie ticket.  The rest was for a regular bag of popcorn and a regular Coca Cola.  They put loads of ice in the drink and I sipped it very slowly so that I wouldn't have to rush to the loo during the movie.  There are no intermissions nowadays.  Before long, my drink was flat and watery.

I think that the movie earned the right to be on the spooky list, though.

•  

Donica

Night of the Living Dead. 1968
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

nancy_james

The Conjuring + Insidious series

Can't wait to go watch The Nun.
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: nancy_james on September 11, 2018, 06:58:07 AM
The Conjuring + Insidious series

Can't wait to go watch The Nun.

I heard that the Nun was soooo good!
  •  

Ryuichi13

If you don't mind reading subtitles, I loved 'Train to Bosan.'  Its a Korean zombie movie, and the last time I checked, it was still on Netflix.

I also loved 'The Decent' and 'The Decent 2.' About a group of spelunkers going into a new cave. 

If you don't mind tongue-in-cheek horror, I'd recommend ' Ava's Posessions.'

'The House at the End of Time' is a different kind of ghost story.  Its in Spanish and has subtitles.  I really liked it.

For more mainstream horror movies, '30 Days of Night' freaked me out pretty good, as well as 'It Follows.'  Also 'The Woman in Black' was pretty good, and I loved Daniel Radcliff (of Harry Potter fame) as the protagonist.  'The Babadook' was also pretty freaky, as well as 'Oculus,' 'The Cabin in the Woods,' and the two movies 'Night Watch' and its sequel 'Day Watch,' both Russian movies and very well made.

Can you tell I'm not only a fan of horror movies, but of foreign horror movies? 

Hollywood movies often have "happy" endings, or are often too predictable, although 'The Cabin in the Woods' took the basic Hollywood horror movie and gave it a different spin, one that a horror movie fan such as myself loved.

Quote from: Amy85 on October 27, 2011, 03:49:12 AM
The only movie that really spooked me, rather than just gross me out or startle me at times, was The Grudge with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I didn't really like the American version, again, it had a "happy" ending.  If you really  want to be scared, watch the original Japanese version, 'Ju-On'!  Also, try 'Ringu,' which is the original version of 'The Ring,' yet another American movie that didn't really scare me much.

If you watch the Japanese version of either of these, I advise you either watch it in the daytime or not alone.  Trust me.  ;)

Ryuichi

•  

MaryT

Evil Dead II (a higher budget remake of Evil Dead which is also very good and also stars Bruce Campbell) is another of my favourites.  It is funny in a macabre way as well as scary.  Bruce Campbell is usually worth watching, escpecially in Sam Raimi presentations.

Jeepers Creepers should also have been on my list.

I agree that The Cabin in the Woods is a great watch although I think that it was designed to be more funny than scary.

I agree that Ju-On is scary but I'm not sure how much.  Sam Raimi said that it scares the pants off Ringu but he had reason to be biased and I don't agree.  I personally think that Ringu is creepier and helps to suspend disbelief by drawing on and updating Japanese folklore.  Unfortunately, I had to watch Ju-On three times before I was sure what was going on (it jumps back and forth in time a lot) by which time I wasn't sure how scary it was.  The American remake is clearer but probably not scarier.  Both Ringu and Ju-On are definitely worth watching, though.

•  

RabbitSpectre

Quote from: MaryT on September 30, 2018, 07:57:59 AM
Evil Dead II (a higher budget remake of Evil Dead which is also very good and also stars Bruce Campbell) is another of my favourites.  It is funny in a macabre way as well as scary.  Bruce Campbell is usually worth watching, escpecially in Sam Raimi presentations.

Jeepers Creepers should also have been on my list.

I agree that The Cabin in the Woods is a great watch although I think that it was designed to be more funny than scary.

I agree that Ju-On is scary but I'm not sure how much.  Sam Raimi said that it scares the pants off Ringu but he had reason to be biased and I don't agree.  I personally think that Ringu is creepier and helps to suspend disbelief by drawing on and updating Japanese folklore.  Unfortunately, I had to watch Ju-On three times before I was sure what was going on (it jumps back and forth in time a lot) by which time I wasn't sure how scary it was.  The American remake is clearer but probably not scarier.  Both Ringu and Ju-On are definitely worth watching, though.

Yessssss! Thank you! Someone meantioned Evil Dead. <3 Army of Darkness as well.

For those who have some idea what I'm talking about, Bruce finally pulled himself out of the ground and made an epic Robert Downey Jr style comeback, and is now doing a series called 'Ashe vs. Evil Dead' which includes Raimi and many of the original team. (Netflix, and SyFY I think.) This series is everything the previous installments wanted to be but never were, answers awesome questions, and expands the canon times infinity. <3 <3 <3 Just, wow. If you havent seen it yet, get ready to binge.

Chainsaw arm and shotgun included. ;)

'Oh yeah, folks. I'm back. Did you miss me? Because I sure as hell did.'

A bonus is that in the series, another star from a show in Bruce's earlier days, who also tanked over the years, is in better shape than ever, a better actress than ever, and back with a vengeance. >)
  •  

Ryuichi13

I just watched two Netflix movies I liked. 

'The 3rd Eye,' which I suspect is Taiwanese, and 'Pizza,' which is from India.  Both were pretty fun movies, with lots of jumpscares, and both had endings that I enjoyed.

Ryuichi

•  

RabbitSpectre

Quote from: amanda barber on October 27, 2011, 02:19:14 AM
Carnival of Souls (old 1960's movie)
Exorcist
Hellraiser
8mm (not a "horror movie" but its disturbing enough you might not leave your house or sleep with the lights out for a week)

You've watched these first 3 titles and 8mm did that to you? :P lol (And even for being so old, Carnival of Souls is some creepy shiznit!)

The Silent Hill movies.  8) I know, I know, hate all you want, I still enjoy them.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: RabbitSpectre on October 07, 2018, 06:20:05 PM
You've watched these first 3 titles and 8mm did that to you? :P lol (And even for being so old, Carnival of Souls is some creepy shiznit!)

The Silent Hill movies.  8) I know, I know, hate all you want, I still enjoy them.

Speaking of horror movies based on videogames, has anyone mentioned the Resident Evil franchise?  I don't care what anyone says, I really liked them all!

Ryuichi

•  

RabbitSpectre

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 07, 2018, 10:27:57 PM
Speaking of horror movies based on videogames, has anyone mentioned the Resident Evil franchise?  I don't care what anyone says, I really liked them all!

Ryuichi

Cheers dude! I watched them too! :) Recently watched the one with Leon and Ada in Eastern Europe. Awesome movie!

EDIT: I ended up ranting here about RE:7 Biohazard, but realize that should be in it's own topic. lol

•  

MaryT

Quote from: RabbitSpectre on October 07, 2018, 06:20:05 PM

I also liked them.

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 07, 2018, 10:27:57 PM

Ryuichi

I like them a lot, too.  They contain a lot of zombie and monster horror but you know that Alice is going to prevail so I usually think of them in the superhero genre.  Similarly, I don't think of End of Days as pure horror, as while watching, I thought

"Poor Satan!  He may be the most evil being in the Universe but even he doesn't deserve what Arnold is going to do to him."

Fallen, with Denzel Washington, is scary and well made with a fine cast.  I found it a little depressing, though.

Phantasm is a cult classic that I should have included in my first list.  Case 39, with Renee Zellwegger, Ian McShane and Silent Hill's Jodelle Ferland, is also very good. 

Ghost Story may not be one long scream but it is a good ghost story with scary scenes and features old time matinee idols Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas and Douglas Fairbanks Jr as well as Alice Krige.

•  

Natsuki Kuga

Creepiest horror movie ever: George Romero's 1973 The Crazies, a take on zombie movies that adds extra layers of claustrophobia to gruesome dystopia.

Some things cannot be unseen.
  •  

Ryuichi13

I just finished watching yet another great foreign movie on Netflix called 'Errementari: the Blacksmith and The Devil."  I really liked it!

Ryuichi

•