Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

growing nails longer and stronger?

Started by xxUltraModLadyxx, November 09, 2011, 04:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxUltraModLadyxx

i have the problem that lots of mtf talk about on here with the soft papery nails. mine often split on the side as they are growing, and peel of onto my cuticle. i have no nail, but i want them a little longer so i could get that rounded shape i really like. mine were the same before i even started hrt, and i even take multivitamins everyday. they are still weak. i found out wearing polish helps, but what are some ways i can make them stronger?
  •  

Michelle.

•  

Shannon

Whether you have your nails professionally groomed or do them yourself, the No. 1 recommendation is leave your cuticles alone, The cuticle is the natural barrier to fungus and bacteria -- and once you breach that, protection is lost," Healthy nails are flexible nails,so to keep yours from breaking, avoid anything that makes them more brittle.
  •  

Kristyn74

Vitamin E cream,and any fungal try tea tree cream

Kristyn
  •  

Tuatha

My nails have always been thin and split and peel for as long as I can remember, I've just kind of given up on them :(
  •  

vivienne

Google 'trind perfect system'. I also had the problem of nails splitting on the sides and now I don't :) My nails are long now but still flexible (if they're not flexible they'll break/split more easily).
  •  

sandrauk

As your nails grow they are scratched on the top surface by normal life. When the nail is bent, the scratches act to concentrate the stress and act as "crack propagation areas" and the nail breaks at very low stress in much the same way as glass can be broken with a scratch.

Buy some 400 grit wet and dry, from a car accessory shop, and polish the top surface of the nail with it. You'll be surprised how suddenly your nails don't break, and as a side benefit nail polish will go on much smoother.
  •  

judithlynn

One of things I have learnt over the years is that keeping your fingernails and toenails in perfect condition is one of the secrets of passing. I make it a must to have a monthly manicure and pedicure and even normally wear a clear base coat and top coat of clear nail varnish. I like to keep my nails  a little long and rounded/. I don't have false nails as I find them so artificial, although in the USA i have had them done like that a few times.

When out as JudithLynn, I wear a lot of open toe pumps or Wedges and in summer sandals, so keeping my toes well manicured and with a nice colour on them as well as perfect well manicured nails is a great way to convincing others that you are what you seem to be.

When one sees a woman opening her purse to get some money out or brushing her hair and the nails are perfectly manicured; the nails always  say.....feminine....a woman

I also use Lavender cream n my hands every night  before I go to bed massaging it into my fingers and palms. I am very lucky that I have small hands.

Remember it is not just your face that needs moisturising. For feet I use Boots Cracked Heel balm. This realy works
:-*
Hugs

•  

Cindy

Just a caution tale.

I had gel nails fitted and they looked fantastic, very durable and very good looking. But as they grew out I realised that one of them had been 'gelled' to my nail base and it was agony as it pulled on my nail base. When I got it removed my nail had been totally butchered by the technician. Not very nice at all.
  •  

Jayne

Moisturise, when I worked in a magazine warehouse until a few months ago my nails were terrible, all of the paper & inks dries my skin & nails, my nails would break & the top layer would peel.
Since I finished that job my nails are fantastic, I have to apply cream to my skin several times a day & the knock on effect is that my nails are flexible & strong now from regular moisturising
  •