Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What should I put as my "reason for name change"?

Started by Mika, November 23, 2011, 05:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

Quote from: amberwish on December 24, 2011, 12:13:26 AM
In Oregon you do not need a lawyer. I did it myself for about $100. I do not remember the form asking why the name change.  Each county is a little different in how they do it and the cost also varies. After the name change I went to the DMV for a new license and had a letter from my therapist for them to put "F" for female in the box for gender. I have been Amber for almost 4 years and went on hormones and had the name change in June of 2008.  I am so very lucky in that I still have every friend that was a friend before I came out. :angel:

Lol I do not have every friend I had, but that's okay.

In Multnomah it currently costs $111 to file for name change, and the form did not ask anything about reasons. The staff were not curious, and it was all pretty efficient. Go to a couple different desks, fill out paperwork, pay the fee (I paid with two checks, one from me and one from Outside In), raise your hand and swear that what you wrote was true to the best of your knowledge, call on a funny little in-house telephone and tell them your case number, and they assign you a court date. I filed on the 19th, and my hearing is Feb 3rd. I was told they do about 30 a month, on just one day a month, and that it will all be very brisk and impersonal. They said I might be there a couple hours at most.

Having typed that out, it doesn't sound very efficient. It was a lot easier than I expected, though. And I'm rubberneckingly curious to see who else is getting their name changed that day. :)

I checked the DMV list and emailed one of the people on it, and he was very nice, and I actually got my gender change letter before filing for name change. I'm hoping to have my ID with my proper gender, new name, and new glasses by March or April.
everybody's house is haunted
  •