Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What should I put as my "reason for name change"?

Started by Mika, November 23, 2011, 05:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mika

I'm getting ready to file for my legal name change. What should I state as my reason on the forms? If I am honest and say "because I'm transgender," is that a terrible idea that can only bite me in the butt? If not, what should I put that's less likely to bring me harassment but still be legally valid?

HALP O_O
  •  

Sarah Louise

The truth works best.  You have to swear to it and swearing to a lie is frowned upon.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Jeneva

I read more than one place that common usage was good enough.  Some people "claimed" that they had put trans and were asked to prove it.

Common usage is a valid reason and is not a lie and does not volunteer extra information.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

JenJen2011

Quote from: Sarah Louise on November 23, 2011, 05:34:30 PM
The truth works best.  You have to swear to it and swearing to a lie is frowned upon.

+1

I put "transgendered woman" and had no problems. I received my approval from the judge in about two weeks. :)
"You have one life to live so live it right"
  •  

xxUltraModLadyxx

it works best if you put transgender, but "avoiding social stigma" may also work if you don't like the idea of putting that you're transgender down.
  •  

Jeneva

Why isn't common usage enough?  It is factual and is sufficient reason.  All you are doing is asking the court to document your common law name change.

How is that remotely dishonest or not the truth?  I'm sure most of us used our name as much as possible even before the legal change.  I actually had one of my wife's cousins call out my name while I letting the bailiff go through my purse so I even had proof.

Why make things harder than they need to be?
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Felix

I'd fill in "personal preference" or "needed more masculine name."
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Ayden

I'd put either transgender or personal peference. I think you have to swear in court for the reason, so I would be honest because seriously, who is going to take the time to dig through legal records to find the reason you put down?
  •  

xxUltraModLadyxx

Quote from: Jeneva on November 23, 2011, 08:01:17 PM
Why isn't common usage enough?  It is factual and is sufficient reason.  All you are doing is asking the court to document your common law name change.

How is that remotely dishonest or not the truth?  I'm sure most of us used our name as much as possible even before the legal change.  I actually had one of my wife's cousins call out my name while I letting the bailiff go through my purse so I even had proof.

Why make things harder than they need to be?

it really isn't a big deal. if it was me, i would just put "gender transition." it's much easier to just be straightforward than to conceal anything. as long as what you did worked, that's all you need to worry about.
  •  

Adio

I had a lawyer do my name change stuff, so I really don't know what reason she put.  If I had to do it myself, I would have said "common usage" or "personal preference."  Why say more than necessary?
  •  

Elijah3291

"common use" works

there are cis people that change their names because no one ever calls them by their birth name.
  •  

Jaime

Before I had mine changed, I had heard people in my state say not to say it was because of being trans, but names tend to help denote gender in a way, so it's sort of obvious in most cases, I would think. I had my lawyer put down that I was transgender and there were no issues at all. One big thing they are looking for is fraud and lying on the form could raise a flag that could get it denied. Be honest.
  •  

Adio

I've seen a lot of people, not just in this thread, say to "be honest" and "tell the truth" to avoid being accused of fraud.  I'm sorry if this is dense of me but...how is saying "personal preference" or "common use" a lie of any kind?  Why should someone have to say "I'm trans" to get a name change?  Certainly you "prefer" a different name and "commonly use" the one you've chosen?  So how is it a lie to keep it simple and not mention being trans, etc?
  •  

justmeinoz

I put "as part of male to female gender transition."  The clerk at Births, Deaths and Marriages had seen plenty I'm sure.  All they were interested in was the $89 that went with it.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: Adio on December 01, 2011, 02:01:34 AM
I've seen a lot of people, not just in this thread, say to "be honest" and "tell the truth" to avoid being accused of fraud.  I'm sorry if this is dense of me but...how is saying "personal preference" or "common use" a lie of any kind?  Why should someone have to say "I'm trans" to get a name change?  Certainly you "prefer" a different name and "commonly use" the one you've chosen?  So how is it a lie to keep it simple and not mention being trans, etc?
It is not just you. I guess we're both missing something. I strongly value honesty and integrity and almost feel I'm being told I'm not because I used 'common usage'. In my heart, mind, and soul I believe that was an honest answer 100%. If he had questioned me on it, I could have even asked the bailiff to testify that he did in fact hear someone call it out to me as she went into her private room with the attorneys.

If we are saying that you must provide full reasoning then must we also explain why we chose name x vs y?  How much is enough?

BTW whoever got there's for $89, I'm jealous because it was $200 here.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Felix

QuoteBTW whoever got there's for $89, I'm jealous because it was $200 here.

$150 here, $175 including fees. Worth it. Not as expensive as surgery, and just as major.
  •  

Jeneva

Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

AprilAero

well just say you needed a name that suited the person you really are, no need to bring up that you are trans. as for the cost of my name change it was around 55 to 60, not really bad at all.  I live in Virginia by the way.
  •  

Felix

I just made a more recent inquiry, and it's actually closer to 120 where I am. I think.

I can't remember if it was Georgia, Florida, or Alabama, but last time I checked wasn't in Oregon and it was 50 dollars and plus I would've had to publish my current and intended name in the newspaper for a week. Good deal.

I'm filing Monday, and I think I'll put some variation of 'common usage.'
  •  

amberwish

In Oregon you do not need a lawyer. I did it myself for about $100. I do not remember the form asking why the name change.  Each county is a little different in how they do it and the cost also varies. After the name change I went to the DMV for a new license and had a letter from my therapist for them to put "F" for female in the box for gender. I have been Amber for almost 4 years and went on hormones and had the name change in June of 2008.  I am so very lucky in that I still have every friend that was a friend before I came out. :angel:
I may grow old but I refuse to grow up.
  •