Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Borders, I miss you.

Started by Tracey, January 01, 2012, 09:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Something was missing from Christmas this year, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I just figured it out, my last bit of shopping used to be a trip to Borders to get everyone a tube of chocolate covered sunflower seeds. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

bballshorty

I know this is very late, but yes I miss it too (although I'm canadian) =( I remember being so happy to find up-to-date AP study guides (that I never used..but hey, I felt smarter buying it) because our bookstores only sold study guides that were 6 editions behind
Day by day, in every way, I am getting better and better. And so are you!

•  

Felix

The only time I ever bought anything from Borders it was a last-minute birthday gift for a friend (a Get Fuzzy book), and I got somehow guilt-tripped into buying my daughter an incredibly overpriced stuffed unicorn. It was soft and cute, and it had sparklies in its pink mane and tail. Having unicorn plushies in a bookstore is a lowdown dirty trick. :laugh:
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Val

I miss Borders too....I got pissed as hell when I saw that they were closing, but at least I got a mountain of comic books for extremely low prices out of it.
  •  

Devlyn

That was how they set them up. Books over here, exits over there, dirty lowdown tricks and tasty sunflower seeds in between! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

sonopoly

The big box bookstores killed the independent bookstores, now Amazon, et al is killing the big box stores...
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Luckily in Portland, we have Powell's Books.  Big box type store, but locally own.  One store.  40 years strong.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Devlyn

Just like South Park. They burn down Wal-Mart while singing Kumbaya and run off to the hardware store. When it grows into a home improvement store they burn it down singing Kumbaya and run off to...
  •  

Anteros

I hate major bookstores. Huge floor plans with miles of rolling carpeted plains between the shelves that disguise the lack of actual stock. Independent bookstores with aisles too narrow to fit thru, further blocked by more stacks of books.

Plus, most Indie book stores have larger lgbt sections in spite of the miniscule size.
  •  

Annah

At Barnes and Noble we were also saddened to see Borders go...believe it or not but Bookstores have this unique relationship: we compete against each other but at the same time we root for another.

I remember when Borders closed. We (BnN) honored all of Border's gift cards that customers had purchased at Borders and we even let them use their Borders reward cards at our store.

A friend of mine was the Store Manager at Borders and it was kinda a low down thing with how corporate handle issues with customers. They sold gift cards and 25 dollar reward cards know they would be closing (before the general public knew). My friend had a strong clash of ethics regarding this.

Another neat thing was we hired almost the entire Borders staff who was let go so that if they loved books we had a position for them. Even some of the managers at Borders kept their management status when crossing over to BnN.

Some big bookstores really isn't that bad. Some people would tend to compare BnN to War*Mart with killing independent stores. No, the lack of people's interest are killing bookstores....no matter if it's independent or corporate.

15 years ago,  you had Waldens, B.Dalton, and Books A Million in one single mall. Now, you would be lucky to find any. So you need to adapt. If you don't you'll go out of business. Only reason why Barnes and Noble survived was because they followed Amazon's business type. Barnes and Noble actually offers more books at the same price online. Not many people know this....we have over 500,000 more book titles. On our ereader we have over 8 million free books (not the crappy xerox books...im talking about really good ones). BnN teamed up with Microsoft and Google so there is no fear of going the way of the dodo.

Also, BnN supports local and independent bookstores. We give grants to owners who wish to run a bookstore of their own. We donate millions of books (unused) to independent bookstores. We donate millions of books and money to charities and 3rd world nations who do not have access to libraries.

We rated 100% for LGBT scores up to and including SRS for transgender people. We do a lot of fun things for children (we are doing a Harry Potter night next weekend for four hours, the children are divided up into the four houses and compete for the house cup....awesome prizes, door prizes, and the child with the most points wins a nook...and it doesn't cost a penny to participate). Today we did a Star Wars night, the week before that it was a Curious George night).

So remember, BnN isn't this evil corporation hell bent on destroying independent bookstores. We actually embraced them. Hell, last year we filled up a New Age Bookstore with all donations of new books.

Oh....and our LGBT section is MASSIVE. Depending on where you live this will vary because there is only so much space in a physical store. It's like that with any bookstore...being independent or corporate. You find some books in one store but not in another.
  •  

Cindy

We seem to be losing book stores very rapidly, Borders of course, then Angus and Coot, There was a truly wonderful privately owned store called Mary Martin's which had a special place in Adelaide society for people who love books, but that closed last week.

I think Dymock's is the only franchise left. I must buy at least one book a week from them so I'm doing my bit!

But the pressure from kindle type products are another nail in the coffin. Sad because browsing through a book store is a wonderful way to feel good.
  •  

Your Humble Savant

Borders was one of my favorite places to just sit and read growing up (along with B&N)...Have found many books which turned out to be favorites there. I miss it.

I dunno, all these new e-readers and whatnot are kind of pissing me off...I know they're so much more convenient for some, and save on paper, but there is just nothing that can compare to actual books. I'd be okay if they weren't driving bookstores out of business  :-\
Music = Life
This is not up for debate  :icon_headfones:
  •  

Annah

I am sure the Sumerians may have been upset when Egyptians used Papyrus versus clay stone tablets but they adapted.

I personally love my ereader.
  •  

desperatelyseeking-grace

I love borders! their travel and nature books were dirt cheap! I could walk out with a huge book on China for 6 dollars. Barns n Noble is okay. But borders had more of a variety in that section.
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: Annah on October 06, 2012, 09:49:42 PM
Another neat thing was we hired almost the entire Borders staff who was let go so that if they loved books we had a position for them. Even some of the managers at Borders kept their management status when crossing over to BnN.

"Hmm... manager of a store that was part of a corporation that failed... you're hired!" (I'm only poking at the irony of how that sounded, so chill.)

I only read non-fiction, so as long as I have the internet, encyclopedias, and textbooks, I'll live.
  •  

Sara Murphy

Yes, Borders was a great store.  It just so happened to be founded in my home state of Michigan, in Ann Arbor.

I remember reading an article on why they fell and apparently they did not control the rights to their online sales.  The thought Amazon was not going to last and gave them their rights.  One of the bigger corporate blunders of this short century.

I still hold on to their book club card on my key chain as a memento.
"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

Devlyn

That made me grab my keys! I still have one, too!
  •  

Lyric

Borders... what did they sell again? Buggy whips? Lamp oil? No, wait-- books. I remember those.

Actually, I always loved Borders, too, as well as many other long gone bookstores I've known. I actually have a huge book collection accumulated from decades of scouting interesting old bookshops and making all the charity book sales in the region. The only down side to being a book lover is that they're a major (back) pain at moving time. I think real paper books will always have an audience because of the nostalgia factor and the simple joy of having an object in your hands you can touch.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

tekla

Meh, never bought new books so I have little to no use for B&N or Borders.  New books pretty much radically priced themselves out of the market once hardcovers went over $25 bucks, and that was a long time ago.  I rarely pay more than $10 for a hardcover now.  And there is very little to nothing that I can't find used that I really want.

Most of what I read - like a paperback every day or so - I leave when and where I finish it for the next person who comes along.  I have no interest in keeping them around.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Devlyn

"Most of what I read - like a paperback every day or so - I leave when and where I finish it for the next person who comes along.  I have no interest in keeping them around."

I like that! Hugs, Devlyn
  •