Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

UK Exam Certificates - School name

Started by matt, February 02, 2012, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

Hi all,

I am thinking of applying for replacement exam certificates from edexcel and AQA because my job requires some proof. However I have some concerns that I thought the wise folks here may be able to help solve.

First of all, I have legally changed my name. I read somewhere that it is possible to get my certificates updated to show my new name under the Gender Recognition Act 2004. Although some exam boards are more reluctant than others, I believe that it is legally required of them, so I am happy to wait and reason them out. I am a patient guy so that is not a problem.

However, the second issue is the School/Centre Name that follows your name on the exam certificate. As I went to a girls school, that would basically give away my trans status. The industry I work in is very conservative and being outed will probably get me fired. (e.g. not renewing my contract after the trial period)

So my question is: Is it possible to ask the exam board not to show the exam centre/ school on the certificate? Given they are already reluctant to help, would this mean that it's impossible for a trans person to be totally stealth in this case?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

•  

Pippa

I have just contacted the Scottish Qualifications Authority with regards to my school qualifications.  I still have to contact my university and my professional body.  I am about to start a post grad diploma so , I will have to tell the college at some point in the near future.

The SQA require two pieces of evidence of your new identity.  One can be a letter from your GP or Counsellor.  The other is a driving licence passport or birth certificate.  The SQA do not ask for your deed poll but I will probably send it anyway.  As with changes to most documents, they want the originals and not copies.  English Exam Authorities will have similar requirements.

Your driving licence is easy to change and it is free to change your name.  A change of picture costs £20.  Remember to change your vehicle registration documents as well.   Changing your identity documents, including your qualifications is a must do.

You can apply for a new passport in your new name but to change the gender on your passport you must get your court certificate.

Change your driving licence first, then your qualifications, then your bank, bills, property deeds.  Don't expect to do this quickly, it is beeter done over a period of time.
  •  

Keroppi

Quote from: Pippa on February 07, 2012, 08:11:35 AM
You can apply for a new passport in your new name but to change the gender on your passport you must get your court certificate.

Change your driving licence first, then your qualifications, then your bank, bills, property deeds.  Don't expect to do this quickly, it is beeter done over a period of time.
Huh? ??? One can change passport with an appropriate doctor letter and the deed poll/statutory declaration. Most people (including me) have found no problem changing gender on their passport, and actually getting the passport returned quite quickly as well. As such, the normal advice is to change the passport first, which makes getting a new driving license simple as one just fill in the passport number in the corresponding box and DVLA will look it up on their computer to confirm the new identity.
  •  

Pippa

Sorry, further detail.

You can change your passport name with a consultants letter and one other proof however, if you want to change your gender on your passport you need a new birth certificate.  To get a new birth certificate, you need your gender recognition certificate issued by the court.
  •  

Keroppi

Quote from: Beverley on February 08, 2012, 03:13:54 PM
Ladies, the question seems to be about changing the name of the SCHOOL on the certificate   XXXX GIRLS SCHOOL should not have had a 'Joe Public' attending.
Sorry I know I'm OT re. the original question, but the above statements re. UK passport is so blatantly false I have to correct it for anyone reading.

Quote from: Pippa on February 08, 2012, 09:24:17 AM
Sorry, further detail.

You can change your passport name with a consultants letter and one other proof however, if you want to change your gender on your passport you need a new birth certificate.  To get a new birth certificate, you need your gender recognition certificate issued by the court.
It is not necessary to have a Gender Recognition Certificate to change the gender field on one's passport. All that the Identity and Passport Service requires to change the gender is a letter from a qualified physician (GP, psychiatrist) stating the applicant has transition and is "living permanently" in the new gender. The stat dec/deed poll would be for changing one's name. And if your new photos look significantly different to the one in your old/current passport, then the photos would need to be countersigned. The GRC changes one legal gender. That affects things like state pension / retirement age and marriage. It has nothing to do with passport.
  •