Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Prometheus

Started by Jamie D, June 08, 2012, 04:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Director Ridley Scott's prequel to "Alien," the film is less a monster/horror movie, than it is decent science fiction.

No spoilers here, but I will say it is a dark film, in keeping with Scott's vision of the Alien series.  Special effects are excellent.  The plot line is a little bit slow at times, and occasionally hard to follow.

The very end of "Prometheus" makes the connection to "Alien."

I'll give it 4 stars out of 5.  I went to the midnight opening.  The theater was not crowded, but had a fair number of people for the time slot.  SciFi fans will like the movie.  Not for little kids.
  •  

Cindy

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Cindy James on June 08, 2012, 04:55:41 AM
As good as Alien?

Hard to say.  Alien had, for it's time, a sort of shock value not seen in that sort of film before.  If you have seen and remember Alien, you can predict some of the action in Prometheus.

Prometheus still deals with a dystopian future Earth, and theorizes about the roots of human civilization(s).
  •  

Jam

As good as Alien?

It depends what view point you look at it from, as good a sci-fi movie? Yes I would say so. As good a scary movie? No, not even close.

I think the story itself is actually better though because it has more questions then just 'how will I survive'. I didn't find it too confusing to follow either, it's definitely worth a watch.
  •  

Carolina1983

I think that the movie was good. But at first I thought it was terrible.

I am not sure if most people know this but the movie was actually inspired from old sumerian tablets (yes real ones). And according to them we humans where created by the Annunaki (who Sumerians record as visitors from the sky).

According to Sumerian text, we, as humans, are alien hybrids, a result of the Annunaki breeding with homo erectus and also a result of their subsequent genetic engineering. By combining their DNA with our closest ancestor, the Annunaki set out to create a slave race, which was used in order to build the pyramids, the Sphynx and many other wonders throughout the world (Sumerians claim the Sphynx and the pyramids served as landing markers for our visitors from space, as such also for the face on Mars). It is truly amazing to think about the Sumerians, who existed around 6,000 BC, and seemingly arose from nowhere, already having developed music, language, modern mathematics, a calendar, as well as the concept of time as we know it.

The Sumerians tell us that the anunnaki had "helpers" that often performed such tasks as flying their craft , or helping with miscellaneous needs. The Sumerians directly explain that these "Helpers" we not alive, but acted as so (the engineers in prometheus?.

The helpers where described as android humanoids with pale skin. black eyes and very tall.

Hmmm oops this was kind of a long post :P.

Anyway there is a 2nd movie on the way and I am looking forward to it.

Prometheus was not a bad movie but it could have been better if they did not rush the story and made the scientists incredibly stupid.
  •  

Jam

Quote from: Carolina1983 on June 15, 2012, 07:19:42 AM
I think that the movie was good. But at first I thought it was terrible.

I am not sure if most people know this but the movie was actually inspired from old sumerian tablets (yes real ones). And according to them we humans where created by the Annunaki (who Sumerians record as visitors from the sky).

According to Sumerian text, we, as humans, are alien hybrids, a result of the Annunaki breeding with homo erectus and also a result of their subsequent genetic engineering. By combining their DNA with our closest ancestor, the Annunaki set out to create a slave race, which was used in order to build the pyramids, the Sphynx and many other wonders throughout the world (Sumerians claim the Sphynx and the pyramids served as landing markers for our visitors from space, as such also for the face on Mars). It is truly amazing to think about the Sumerians, who existed around 6,000 BC, and seemingly arose from nowhere, already having developed music, language, modern mathematics, a calendar, as well as the concept of time as we know it.

The Sumerians tell us that the anunnaki had "helpers" that often performed such tasks as flying their craft , or helping with miscellaneous needs. The Sumerians directly explain that these "Helpers" we not alive, but acted as so (the engineers in prometheus?.

The helpers where described as android humanoids with pale skin. black eyes and very tall.

Hmmm oops this was kind of a long post :P.

Anyway there is a 2nd movie on the way and I am looking forward to it.

Prometheus was not a bad movie but it could have been better if they did not rush the story and made the scientists incredibly stupid.

In freaked out now >.< lol don't like long lanky aliens.
  •  

EmmaMcAllister

This is a movie that will only grow better with time, in my humble opinion. I saw it as being closer to Blade Runner in spirit, a grandiose existential treatise on the value of life. It doesn't tie into Alien directly (they're set on two different planets), but if you love bold sci-fi, you'll love this. It requires some deep thought, but that's a good thing!

Here's a great article to read after you see it: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
Started HRT in October, 2014. Orchiectomy in August, 2015. Full-time in July, 2016!

If you need an understanding ear, feel free to PM me.
  •  

crazy old bat

I didn't care too much for alien even though I am a scifi fan, ever since I was a kid. I had a regular subscription to Isaac Asimov's magazine even.  But if this isn't too much like Alien and doesn't connect to it heavily, I might give it a shot.  Personally, I find it difficult for movies to compare to books, something about imagining what the author is trying to get across that a movie just can't replace.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: crazy old bat on June 25, 2012, 10:52:49 PM
I didn't care too much for alien even though I am a scifi fan, ever since I was a kid. I had a regular subscription to Isaac Asimov's magazine even.  But if this isn't too much like Alien and doesn't connect to it heavily, I might give it a shot.  Personally, I find it difficult for movies to compare to books, something about imagining what the author is trying to get across that a movie just can't replace.

I'm also a book person and I'm usually disappointed when I see a film adaptation of a book. One of the few that I thought the film was better than the book was 'Catch 22' which is an oldie.
  •  

Lyric

As good as Alien?

Not even close, in my opinion. The original Alien was a super edgy suspense/horror film with some gross-out surprises. Most of the conflict in Prometheus comes from characters stupidity. It's got a couple of "ooo" moments and cringy scenes, but overall I wouldn't even rate it better than the two Alien vs. Predator prequels. Still, it's got some OK special effects and Charlize Theron, so it's worth a look. Just don't go in expecting a lot.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •