Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Hunter's New Policy - Are They Telling TG's To Take A Hike?

Started by Julie Marie, March 26, 2007, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

Hunters Night Club has a place in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.  A lot of TGs go there and for some it is THE place to go.  They have held T-Girl get togethers on Sundays and seemed to have no problem with us.  Until now.

They just recently instituted a policy that says if the picture on your ID does not match the way you look in person you will not be allowed in.  This came to light when several TGs were turned away at the door last Saturday.  They say it's for security but it clearly targets TGs.

I could care less.  I hate the place.  It's loud and smoky and too far of a drive for me.  But many girls are really devastated by this.  One suggested that she go en femme with a GG who was in a wig and too much makeup.  If the GG got in then she would file a discrimination suit. 

I guess what really matters here is this club found a way to discriminate against us without it looking like discrimination.  I wonder how long they have been cooking this one up?

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Julie Marie on March 26, 2007, 05:11:47 PM
I guess what really matters here is this club found a way to discriminate against us without it looking like discrimination.

They probably got a few ideas from homeland "security". ;)

Melissa
  •  

Stormy Weather

You need photo IDs to go clubbing in Chicago or the US? Truly weird.
  •  

Maud

Some clubs in edinburgh are like that, especially more dykey places, last time I went to a dyke club they near stip searched me and I had to put my 'mones in my bra because they were comfescating anything that could possibly be drugs, I really wasn't surprised that I was the only trans person (as far as i could tell) in that place, I was lucky I wasn't outed at the door.
  •  

LynnER

You need ID's in the US to do just about anything, especialy go bar hopping or clubbing....  and Ive been hit by this form of discrimination before, but a few select places dont harrass me so I go to those instead  :)   I mean, afterall, if they dont my money, Id happly take it elsewhere... and even after I have a matching ID I still wont bother going back to those establishments.   :P on them LoL
  •  

seldom

Quote from: Julie Marie on March 26, 2007, 05:11:47 PM
Hunters Night Club has a place in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.  A lot of TGs go there and for some it is THE place to go.  They have held T-Girl get togethers on Sundays and seemed to have no problem with us.  Until now.

They just recently instituted a policy that says if the picture on your ID does not match the way you look in person you will not be allowed in.  This came to light when several TGs were turned away at the door last Saturday.  They say it's for security but it clearly targets TGs.

I could care less.  I hate the place.  It's loud and smoky and too far of a drive for me.  But many girls are really devastated by this.  One suggested that she go en femme with a GG who was in a wig and too much makeup.  If the GG got in then she would file a discrimination suit. 

I guess what really matters here is this club found a way to discriminate against us without it looking like discrimination.  I wonder how long they have been cooking this one up?

Julie

This would be illegal under Illinois law.  Illinois has a law against discrimination on the basis of gender identity.  Contact Lambda Legal, this violates Illinois non-discrimination law.
  •  

KarenLyn

Quote from: LynnER on March 26, 2007, 08:15:46 PM
You need ID's in the US to do just about anything, especialy go bar hopping or clubbing....  and Ive been hit by this form of discrimination before, but a few select places dont harrass me so I go to those instead  :)   I mean, afterall, if they dont my money, Id happly take it elsewhere... and even after I have a matching ID I still wont bother going back to those establishments.   :P on them LoL

I keep forgetting that some people don't have IDs to match. Mine's been officially changed for nearly 10 years. Just out of curiosity, why haven't you got yours changed yet? (Sorry if I'm too pushy)

Karen Lyn
  •  

Cindi Jones

They may be looking out for their interests in areas which our TG friends have not considered. Patrons may be complaining that they are going to report that the club is letting female impersonators hook in the establishment. Yes, they are discriminating, but the straight public brings in more money. I think that there is more going on here than we can see from the outside.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

LynnER

On the ID question....  I havnt updated mine, though its expired because Im fighting on my name and marker change and I seriously dont have the money to pay for a new ID just to go back and pay for a new one again with in such a short period of time.....  to say money is tight would be an understatement.....
  •  

Julie Marie

Just an update:

Hunters has rescinded the policy and issued a statement saying they welcome TGs to all their establishments.  (They have several others in different states.)  They said the policy was intended to comply with local laws which state that the ID must match the persona.

Local community members feel the policy was instituted because Hunters was trying to eliminate those TGs who were using the place "to ply their trade".  I've heard many stories how T-girls go there to pick up a guy and then hit the motel next door.  One of the bouncers, who herself is TG, said that kind of activity is frowned upon.

The uproar has vanished and it seems all is well in Northern Illinois... for now.  Overall I feel the GLBT community and those catering to it have been alerted there are a lot of TGs out there and we can be a very vocal group when POd.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Attis

Screw the law, it's insane and outright stupid! Laws should never impede lawful citizens from congregating, doing business, and enjoying their moral right to liberty.

-- Brede
  •  

KarenLyn

Quote from: LynnER on April 08, 2007, 03:19:40 AM
On the ID question....  I havnt updated mine, though its expired because Im fighting on my name and marker change and I seriously dont have the money to pay for a new ID just to go back and pay for a new one again with in such a short period of time.....  to say money is tight would be an understatement.....

Yeah, that s&#%s when money's tight. Having spent almost $100000 in alimony in the last 9 years I can understand that very well. It's too bad so many places make it hard to get proper ID as well. I changed mine in Washington state without a lot of problems. Got the new one and had to get another a week later when the paper work to change the gender marker came in.
I wish you the best of luck at all of it. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for your pay raise too.

Karen Lyn
  •  

seldom

Quote from: Julie Marie on April 08, 2007, 10:26:56 AM
Just an update:

Hunters has rescinded the policy and issued a statement saying they welcome TGs to all their establishments.  (They have several others in different states.)  They said the policy was intended to comply with local laws which state that the ID must match the persona.

Local community members feel the policy was instituted because Hunters was trying to eliminate those TGs who were using the place "to ply their trade".  I've heard many stories how T-girls go there to pick up a guy and then hit the motel next door.  One of the bouncers, who herself is TG, said that kind of activity is frowned upon.

The uproar has vanished and it seems all is well in Northern Illinois... for now.  Overall I feel the GLBT community and those catering to it have been alerted there are a lot of TGs out there and we can be a very vocal group when POd.

Julie

Except in this case the local ordinance if enforced would violate Illinois gender identity non-discrimination law.  (I highly suggest you look it up).
  •