Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"True Knowledge Comes From Observing The World."

Started by King Malachite, March 28, 2012, 04:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Malachite

Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

justmeinoz

Yes.  How we interpret it, and what we do with our conclusions are a different matter though.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

King Malachite

I agree.  I think it also comes from the experiences that one goes through and like you mentioned, what we do with those experiences to make us into better people. :)
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

•  

Sephirah

I guess my answer to that would be 'not entirely'.

I think that we also have to observe ourselves. As Confucius said: "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

Or, in the words of Socrates: "To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

V M

Truly, I would have to agree that observation of both ourselves and the world around us brings a great wealth of knowledge

I have learned a great deal from observing others and from self reflection, often weighing the pro and con of myself and the world around me
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jeneva

Additional knowledge comes from observing the world but it all starts with the self.

Quote from: Sun Tzu
Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril. When you are ignorant of the enemy, but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

justmeinoz

If we assume that we are part of the world, and not separate,  then our observations are all about how we interact with the world, and affected by our presence as an observer surely.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: Sephirah on April 16, 2012, 08:40:22 PM

I think that we also have to observe ourselves. As Confucius said: "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

Or, in the words of Socrates: "To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."

I completely go this that, no need to re-state and then read at the bottom...
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Sephirah on April 16, 2012, 08:40:22 PM

I think I'd have to go along with this, or something similar.

The problem with observation is that it's based on point-of-view, and people have their own biases or "lenses" through which they view the world.

Semiopathy

Quote"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."

This is a contradiction on its face and all the way down. It is a complete refutation of knowledge as such. The concept "nothing" denotes an absence - in this case, an absence of knowledge, of all knowledge. In order to have language, we need to form concepts and assign words to them, e.g. "know" "you" "nothing" etc. If our concepts are based on observable facts in reality, we call that knowledge (as opposed to faith). If you know nothing, your mind is a blank, a zero, a vacuum, and you have no means of stating that you know nothing.

As to the original question, yes, although the phrase "true knowledge" is a redundancy. Knowledge comes from using our perceptual faculty to observe the world around us, and then integrating what we see into concepts. Sight, touch, hearing, smell, taste... Think of what would happen, what the state of a child's mind would be, if he could not see? He would never be able to form a visual concept, such as the color "red" or even the concept of "color".

Now what happens to a child who is completely senseless? Some one who is deaf, blind, who can't taste, who can't smell, and has no tactile sensation?
He would have no means, no method of experiencing the world. He might have automatic processes, such as a pulse, and breath, but he would not be able to feel either. His mind would be like a vacuum; ready to be filled at the first sensation he experiences, but unable to experience or to think anything. From the simplest thought to the most complex abstraction, observation of the world via the senses is required.
  •  

peky

is there such thing as true knowledge? or is knowledge relative?  Anyway, I would argue that the knowledge actually comes from within
  •  

Sephirah

Quote from: Semiopathy on April 19, 2012, 03:40:59 PM
If our concepts are based on observable facts in reality, we call that knowledge (as opposed to faith).

Or, if they're based on one's perceptions of observable facts in reality, maybe that knowledge is only accurate as long as the perceptions are accurate. Two people can see the same thing but 'know' different things about it, because they assimilate the information differently. Folks are always having to re-question what they 'know' as new information comes to light, so maybe knowledge is only really a sort of holding pattern. In which case, it's not actually known, it's just assumed to be true based on a lack of alternatives.

People all experience the world differently, even sensory information isn't always the same to two people, even if they were experiencing the exact same thing. Synesthesia, for example. Folks who experience that may associate colours with sounds, or smells with visual images, or sounds with tastes. That they 'know' the colour blue sounds like a bell ringing... do they 'know' it? Do people without the condition 'know' it doesn't?

I don't know, I'm not sure that quote was meant to be taken quite so literally.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: peky on April 19, 2012, 03:56:10 PM
is there such thing as true knowledge? or is knowledge relative?  Anyway, I would argue that the knowledge actually comes from within

Suppose the knowledge is true to the person who holds the ideas?  If the knowledge comes from within then how would one go about unlocking the knowledge from within without observing the world?

@Sephirah I don't think the quote was supposed to be taken quite so literally but rather as experiences that shape us.

•  

tekla

Lots of people are shaped by events/thoughts/ideas/characters not 'of the real world' - like Jesus say, or Lord of the Rings.

You can observe a lot by just watching.  Yogi Berra
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

peky

Quote from: Malachite on April 19, 2012, 04:08:11 PM
Suppose the knowledge is true to the person who holds the ideas?  If the knowledge comes from within then how would one go about unlocking the knowledge from within without observing the world?

@Sephirah I don't think the quote was supposed to be taken quite so literally but rather as experiences that shape us.

I am assuming that we are speking of a phylosophical knoledge rather than a scientific one, true? Assuming is the former, then like Jesus said: "the knidom of heaven is from within."
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Malachite on March 28, 2012, 04:43:01 PM
Do you agree with that statement?

Kia Ora M,

::) On the matter of true knowledge : This would depend....

The Buddhist monk Bodhidharma once said...

"The most essential method, which includes all other methods is beholding the mind.
The mind is the root from which all things grow, If you can understand the mind-everything else is included !"

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Huan Cao

When it comes to on-the-ground work experience in the industry or your career field, that statement would be true. But an individual would not be able to observe everything that is going on in the world. Thus, we have archives and textbooks to teach us what others have observed.
  •  

Pica Pica

I think that true knowledge of the world comes from observing the world.

True knowledge of one's own and others interactions with the world may be more unobtainable.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Sara Thomas

Overall I believe that claiming knowledge is a slippery slope - knowledge being a slippery thing... but we have to make concessions, and believe in at least a few things,  just to survive.

As to whether knowledge comes from observation, I'd say it's the best possible source - or at least the best sounding board against which one can test knowledge attained elsewhere.

Observation won't teach you much about Teddy Roosevelt... but that's not particularly relevant knowledge anyway (though I do enjoy reading about the man).
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

Kate G

I suppose it depends what kind of knowledge you are talking about and perhaps what you mean by "The World".

But I would say that true knowledge comes from connection and that mostly the world is distraction, noise and entropy.

Unless you are talking about the planet and the lower evolved animals that don't spend their lives creating their own suffering.
"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did." -Unknown
  •