Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

30 day genderqueer challenge

Started by aleon515, June 05, 2012, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julian

10) Are you taking any steps to physically transition?

I had top surgery in March. I'm not planning on taking any further steps.
  •  

Edge

11) Your first experience with a GSM organization or event
There's a Queer-Straight Alliance group at my school, but barely anyone showed up. I did meet my school counsellor who is very understanding though.
  •  

Constance

The first experience would have been about 10 years ago when my church was beginning it's ONA status, formally declaring itself to be Open aNd Affirming to all persons. ONA is kind of like UCC code for a queer-friendly congregation.

aleon515

Sorry I'm still on this one:

10)Are you taking any steps to physically transition?

I haven't done anything, and I don't know if I will.

--Jay Jay
  •  

eli77

Quote from: Edge on June 15, 2012, 11:32:53 PM

I guess the trans youth group that my therapist insisted I go to would qualify. The first time was awesome 'cause that's when I saw She's A Boy I Knew, and Gwen came and talked to us. But I stopped going pretty quick after that. They were nice, but boring.
  •  

Pica Pica

I've never joined a GSM group, I can't work out what we'd talk about and I am not one of those people who need to be around others like myself, I prefer variety in my social gathering. Susan's provides me with enough 'you are not alone' for me.

That said, I have been to quite a few gay nighclubs/bars/cafes and bookshops, my main impression is that they are more expensive than the usual kind.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Jamie D

Day 11

I have no experience, as I am largely isolated.  I am open, however, to events I can find within a 100 mile (150km) radius.

Susan's is my sole support organization.
  •  

Julian

I went to a GSM group at my university once. It seemed like a clique of already-close friends, so I didn't go back. I found out later that they were a bunch of transphobic jerks, so I didn't lose much by not trying to befriend them.
  •  

aleon515

11)Your first experience with a GSM/ LBGT organization or event

I don't know if this qualifies as an event, but I went to a local transgender center a couple times. I just talked to a staffer. Nothing too interesting but it worked out pretty well for me (as I have written). I'm planning on going to a group on Monday, I'll let folks know how it goes in another thread.

(BTW, like Connie, I was active in a UCC church which was ONA. I am not too involved in church anymore. But the church itself is a wonderful welcoming place.)
  •  

eli77

12) Discuss your relationship with the term transgender

I don't really have one. It's never been a word I've identified with. Though I don't correct people if they use it for me unless I'm actually having a conversation about how I identify and/or language. I prefer "trans" or "trans*" as an umbrella term.

And now I'm going to miss the next 14 'cause I'm off for England for two weeks!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Sarah7 on June 17, 2012, 09:23:15 AM

I don't really have one. It's never been a word I've identified with. Though I don't correct people if they use it for me unless I'm actually having a conversation about how I identify and/or language. I prefer "trans" or "trans*" as an umbrella term.

Have a great trip, Sarah  :)
  •  

Jamie D

Day 12

I prefer it it others to describe a commonality between us.  Any non-op, pre-op, post-op, MtF, FtM, MtA, FtA, bi-gender, pan-gender, androgyne, two-spirit, et cetera, can use this term without rancor, and it will be widely understood within the community.
  •  

Pica Pica

Enjoy England, hope the weather holds out for you - mainly because I hate doing wet breaks.

As for the term transgender - it does the job.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

ativan

An umbrella term that may or may not be used by someone who doesn't define their selves as cisgender
Another umbrella term that seems to be less political, that is currently being used, is Trans*.

I personally like it because it takes out all those extra letters used with LGBT, or as I see it, TGLB.
I still use Transgender on those occasions that it seems appropriate.
More importantly, I try to use these terms followed with People, if it is to be read by a variety of people.
Just to humanize them for everyone. It seems like a better way to integrate everyone.
Transgender People. Trans* People. Cisgender People. TGLB People. People. That works, too...

Ativan
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Ativan on June 17, 2012, 10:29:56 AM

An umbrella term that may or may not be used by someone who doesn't define their selves as cisgender
Another umbrella term that seems to be less political, that is currently being used, is Trans*.

I personally like it because it takes out all those extra letters used with LGBT, or as I see it, TGLB.
I still use Transgender on those occasions that it seems appropriate.
More importantly, I try to use these terms followed with People, if it is to be read by a variety of people.
Just to humanize them for everyone. It seems like a better way to integrate everyone.
Transgender People. Trans* People. Cisgender People. TGLB People. People. That works, too...

Ativan

I doubt I could have said it better myself.

One question, though: I thought that "Trans*" was in essence a political response to "Transgender." I had thought that "Trans*" was considered to be more politically inclusive than "Transgender."

Okay, so that wasn't a question. It was more of an observation.

ativan

Quote from: Connie Anne on June 17, 2012, 02:26:00 PM
One question, though: I thought that "Trans*" was in essence a political response to "Transgender." I had thought that "Trans*" was considered to be more politically inclusive than "Transgender."
That's what I was trying to say...
It seems to be easier for people to use without the quarreling that Transgender has had over the years.

LOL, shorthand for inclusive. Non-binary, binary, just anyone who doesn't necessarily use cisgender.
(Although, some people may use both. Depends on their reference point at the time.)

Used as such in some social network groups, many discussions are more cohesive.
People just simply think of other responders as another Trans* Person.
(see how I snuck that 'Person' on the end? Reinforces the People aspect.  ;))

Ativan
  •  

Constance

Okay, I get it now.

I can be a little slow on the up-take.

suzifrommd

Quote from: Jamie D on June 16, 2012, 03:37:52 AM

Great story.

At the first day of class every year, I talk about how I want my classroom to be tolerant and inclusive w/o regard to race, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. I always make it appoint to single out use of the word "gay" to mean "distasteful" and say that I don't want to hear it used that way.

This made an impression on one of my students, who happened to be the prez of the school Gay-Straight Alliance. At the end of the year she told me they found out their advisor was retiring and she suggested me as a possible replacement. I didn't know anything about LGB or even T at the time, but I was thrilled at the opportunity because I've always felt for people who were oppressed and bullied for being themselves, so I agreed. I've been the GSA advisor here ever since.

Hard to get that term to apply to me. I know I'm genderqueer, probably androgyne, but I still have a hard time referring to myself as transgender. I know better, but I still associate that term with transitioning transsexual people.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Edge

Quote from: Ativan on June 17, 2012, 10:29:56 AM

This.
  •  

aleon515

12)Discuss your relationship with the term transgender

I'm very cool with it. I feel the word means "beyond" gender. I use the term trans* as I think this sort of shows the inclusive aspect to the term. I am not so sure how sure everyone else sees this, and if we would be considered the ugly step-children of transgender. :) But personally I am not altogther concerned.

--Jay Jay
  •