Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

30 day genderqueer challenge

Started by aleon515, June 05, 2012, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleon515

>17) How do you, or would you, deal with being misgendered?

>That's not possible.

I'll answer while I have net access. Excuse the carets but this thing is SLOW.
Hmm, I'm always misgendered and it is really almost not possible to correctly gender me.
I'm annoyed at being called ma'am which hasn't really changed. But then I am not so sure what I am expecting.

--Jay Jay
  •  

Pica Pica

I suppose that technically I am always misgendered by people. It doesn't really bother me, I know what I am and that is enough.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Jamie D on June 24, 2012, 01:15:11 AM
Day 17

17) How do you, or would you, deal with being misgendered?

A more complicated question than it sounds.

Of course no one ever thinks I'm anything but male. I don't have any obvious female characteristics.

But thinking of me as 100% male IS misgendering me, right? Everyone who sees me that way (which is pretty much everyone) is missing a big part of the picture.

So I'll say that I'm ALWAYS misgendered.

How do I deal with it? I HATE IT. I'm supremely POed that there's no way to get people to see the female side without looking or feeling like a total weirdo.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Edge

17) How do you or would you deal with being misgendered?
I don't expect people to keep up with my switches, but I get annoyed that am hardly ever acknowledged as male (only here, once in RL, and by my school counsellor).
The only pronoun I get really bugged by is "they" though. That might be because "they" is also used for plural people and I am one person and want to make that clear.
  •  

Constance

Usually, when I'm misgendered, it's over the phone and I'm called sir. I just politely say, "Actually, I'm not a sir I'm a ma'am."

There are times when I'm misgendered face-to-face. When that happens, I just stand up straighter and push my bosom out.

ativan

17) How do you or would you deal with being misgendered?

I think it is a normal thing that people will do.
And that's the importance of it.
It's something that they are doing, not you.

Unless someone is threatening, why give a >-bleeped-< about their opinion about it?
If you don't know this person, they don't know you.
Why waste your time and energy on someones idea of how they perceive gender?
Granted, if it is someone you know and they know you, you might want to correct their mistake.
Or, you may not.

Misgendering is someone else's problem, not yours.
Are you always sure that you are gendering someone exactly as they might wish you did?

Unless you are gender>-bleeped-<ing society, they are for the most part, oblivious to a misgendering on their part.
Society in general could care less if they misgender someone.
It's just their immediate perception. So what?

How many people do you think there are that put thought and energy into correctly identifying anyones gender?
Most of society sees only male or female.
Blur that perception and they may struggle with it, but as soon as you are out of sight, you are out of mind.

If they start to question you in a non threatening manner, they are curious.
Now you have the option of it becoming your problem or not.
The situation should dictate your reaction to what has now possibly become a problem, but not necessarily.

If there is hostility involved, it's a problem. It's your problem, they made it yours.
You have options and choices to make as to how you deal with it, at that point.
Trying to reason with a hostile person in general just makes them more hostile.
Walk away and leave them to be pissed and confused about the world, or argue and do the same thing to yourself.

(they and their, can and is used in the singular, as an alternative to other pronouns.)
Ativan
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Connie Anne on June 24, 2012, 09:20:39 AM
Usually, when I'm misgendered, it's over the phone and I'm called sir. I just politely say, "Actually, I'm not a sir I'm a ma'am."

There are times when I'm misgendered face-to-face. When that happens, I just stand up straighter and push my bosom out.

Hussy  ::)
  •  

Julian

I don't do anything about it, unless it's one of a few very close friends doing the misgendering. I don't expect anyone who isn't close to me to gender me properly.
  •  

Jamie D

Day 18

18) How does your gender factor in to your future plans?

That's hard to say.  Would I be any happier as a female-bodied androgyne, than as a male-bodied androgyne?

I have found a greater peace of mind as I have feminized.  That much I can be sure of.  Giving the "girl inside" an opportunity to breathe has helped alleviate the nagging dysphoria of several decades.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Jamie D on June 25, 2012, 05:02:44 AM
Day 18

The most accurate answer to this is that my gender situation is completely preventing me from having any future plans. This week I'm so floored by my gender issues and the possible solutions that I can see very far past the next minute.
  •  

ativan

After I have my morning non-binary coffee, (really f'ing strong) I plan on having a non-binary shower.
I have some non-binary laundry that I plan on doing this morning.
I'm feeling really non-binary good this morning, so I plan on printing some action photos I took.
That should round out my non-binary plans for this morning and maybe some of my afternoon.

I've been thinking of doing a non-binary time lapse photo session of a flower I like in the garden.
The weather looks like it will be clear skies today, so as a non-binary, I may do that.

I shouldn't go on like that, how non-binary of me.

Maybe my friend wants to go clothes shopping.
Now there is some non-binary factoring to play with, but still not a plan.
That would be about as much as my non-binary gender factors into the plans that my life will be.

I wonder how much people factor their gender into their plans.
Now I wonder how much it's on a conscious level. I can see a reality series on TV about it.
'The Gender Factor'. Genderphobes would be captivated by other peoples plans.
They would adjust their own plans, about what to do about other genders plans.
Some genders are just down right dangerous to traditional society, you know?
I wonder what Perez Hilton would think. (Actually, I wouldn't wonder about that at all...)

Should I be making better gender plans for myself?
I'm not sure I can worry about it in a non-binary way.
I do worry what genderphobes will want my life to be.
I can't plan around their gender factors, though.

I don't think I can hold any future plans hostage that way.
I think I just react in a non-binary way to things, that's all.
I just don't want to plan around it.
I want my future plans to,... just be.

Ativan

•  

Edge

It doesn't really. I am considering living as a male full time for awhile to see how it goes as an experiment, but that's about it and it's not a concrete plan as of yet.
  •  

Pica Pica

I am not one of life's great makers of plans.
  •  

Julian

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 25, 2012, 12:25:38 PM

I am not one of life's great makers of plans.

This. My only plan is to graduate college by the time I turn 25, and that doesn't have much to do with gender.
  •  

Jamie D

I have found that, for every ocean liner with a destination, there are thousands of corks like me, just bobbing along with the current.
  •  

Pica Pica

Mine is mainly to stay alive so I can keep seeing and hearing the things I love and be with the people I adore. My other plan is to keep writing till I can make a living out of it...so I can then stay alive to see and hear the things I love and be with the people I adore, by doing the thing I most love doing.
  •  

aleon515

I don't think it does. Future plans: retire in one year, work on private practice dog and cat training/behavior work.

--Jay Jay
  •  

suzifrommd

19) What terms in the cisgender, GSM, or trans* community are problematic?

Androgynous: To many people this means someone impossible to gender. To others it is the adjectival form of androgyne. I prefer a duel definition of androgyne to fit the second definition. As in, I have an androgyne gender identity, rather than androgynous gender identity.

The most problematic terms though, are the ones that don't exist. Non gender specific forms of him/her his/hers and he/she.
  •  

Edge

19) What terms in the cisgender, GSM, or trans* community are problematic?
Personally, I don't like the words "passing" and "presenting" because they sound like they imply pretending and I don't like that. Are there other words to use instead?
Other than that, it's not so much the words as how they are used.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 25, 2012, 03:41:06 PM
Mine is mainly to stay alive so I can keep seeing and hearing the things I love and be with the people I adore. My other plan is to keep writing till I can make a living out of it...so I can then stay alive to see and hear the things I love and be with the people I adore, by doing the thing I most love doing.

P.P. you need to be a movie, theatre, or literature reviewer/critic!

(Notice: I spelled "theatre" your way)
  •