Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

30 day genderqueer challenge

Started by aleon515, June 05, 2012, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eli77

13) How has your family taken it or how might they take it?

In a weird way they struggled with the tomboyish/queerness more than the transsexual/transition part. They expected me to end up as something that I didn't. But they got over it.

14) Are you part of the Gender and Sexuality Minority community?

Definitely.

15) How do you deal with gendered things? Clothes shopping, bathrooms, forms, etc.

Stuff that's rigidly gendered like forms or bathrooms I go with female. Stuff that's less rigid like clothes shopping I just go wherever I like.

16) Name some media you connect with queerly

I don't understand the question? Do they mean queer media that I connect with? Autostraddle is my favouritest.

17) How do you, or would you, deal with being misgendered?

I guess they mean when people gender you in a way that you aren't comfortable with? I mostly ignore it. "Ma'am," "miss" and "lady" come with being perceived as female and I can't really do anything about it. On the very rare occasions I get male pronouns or "sir," they inevitably correct themselves do to my face/voice, so I don't have to do anything.

18) How does your gender factor in to your future plans?

In every way and in no way? I mean, that's like asking "how does who you are affect your future plans?"... Uh?

19) What terms in the cisgender, GSM, or trans* community are problematic?

Hahaha... you want a list? But it would be. So. Long. Omg. How about I pick some favourites?

I hate "mtf" (and "ftm") with a burning passion as they imply the old stupid boy to woman, girl to man garbage that I hope someday to see the end of. I despise the use of transgender, transsexual or trans as nouns, as I find it terribly dehumanizing. "Gold star" is such a nauseating hierarchical concept that I almost want to sleep with a bloke out of sheer spite. And using a reclaimed slur for anyone without their consent makes you a horrible person. Period. When someone tells you something hurts and asks you to stop, decent people stop. Ergo if you fail to stop you are a horrible person. No more stupid excuses.

20) Have you faced any problems or gone through any changes regarding religion?

No. I never acquired one of those.

21) How has your relationship with yourself been affected since you realized you were Genderqueer?

I feel more "other" which I don't like. I feel less like I have to justify being "other" which I like.

22) What is your sexual and romantic orientations? Are they affected by your gender?

I like girls. And no.

Okay, maybe that's too easy. I've wondered if I might be marginally bi sometimes. Like a 5 rather than a 6 on a Kinsey Scale. I don't find guys repulsive, just not terribly interesting. I don't know. It's possible. And it seems more possible now? Maybe just because well... it's sort of easy for someone perceived as female to sleep with a bloke.

That and I'm a shallow narcissist with a fragile ego. I like being wanted, and it doesn't always matter by who.

23) Do you feel comfortable answering questions about your gender to friends? Acquaintances? Strangers?

Yes. No. Absolutely not.

24) How has your relationship with the cisgender people in your life changed?

Well, I'm a more functional person now. So pretty much all my relationships have improved. Except...

25) Your first queer crush or relationship

My relationship with my ex. It was pre-transition, though she knew what I was well before we got together. It was complicated.

Also, I'm back. Yo.
  •  

aleon515

25) Your first queer crush or relationship?

I'm not sure this topic is relevant to me, given that I am asexual.

--Jay Jay
  •  

Jamie D

Day 25

25) Your first queer crush or relationship

Paul McCartney - the cute Beatle
  •  

Jamie D

•  

Julian

26) Discuss how your clothes do or don't reflect your gender

Clothes both are and are not an indication of my gender. I own and wear a wide variety, but my gender stays constant. That said, most of the outfits I put together have a little touch of hard-femme or androgyny, both to indicate my identity and simply because I like those styles.

My clothes mainly reflect the situation I'm in. I wear cargoes (spellcheck says that -es is right, but it doesn't look right) when I need to carry a bunch of things, but not enough to carry a handbag or messenger bag. I have friends who dress really femme, and I'm just more comfortable going out with them if I femme it up a little too. I wear camisoles and really short women's shorts when it's really hot out, and longer men's shorts when it's less hot.

I guess my presentation is really adaptive and fluid, but my gender is less so.
  •  

eli77

Quote from: Julian on July 03, 2012, 01:46:16 PM

They don't exactly reflect my gender. There is a lot more to me than that. It's more like... gender is a small piece of the various things that my clothes reflect.

My style is also evolving. I've only really been dressing as I like for a year. And I've found I really like clothing and playing with how I look, though unfortunately I still hate shopping for the clothes.

I definitely shy away from wearing a lot of particularly masculine or feminine clothing, as they'd tend to signal things about me that would be inaccurate. And I don't much like how that stuff looks on me. And it just make me randomly uncomfortable - like I'm playing dress up. I'm definitely into the "cold skeletal androgyny," though I have been known to smile on the rare occasion.

Quote from: Jamie D on July 03, 2012, 04:29:07 AM
Hi Sarah!  Missed you.

I like being missed! I mean... missed you too. ;)
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Julian on July 03, 2012, 01:46:16 PM

They don't.

For work I wear shirt and tie because I want to be respected by my students and colleagues. Rest of time I dress as comfortably as I can get away with. I've  never had the nerve to dress the slightest bit fem or genderqueer.

And I've never had a fashion conscious thought in my life. That's one of the reasons why, when I found myself thinking how much fun it would be to put together a "look" for myself as a women, I took that as a sign that my sanity is headed seriously off the rails.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Pica Pica

If I could describe my clothing style as anything, I'd describe it as attempting to look like a favourite, rumpled book.

=

Books are neither male nor female.

'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Jamie D

Day 26

My favorites are my jeans and T-shirts.  I mean, how genderless is that?

I will say, I am looking into jeans with a more female fit, due, in part to some growth in the glutes.  Brighter colors too, seem to suit my fancy. And I only use my neckties anymore as wrist and ankle restraints.  >:-)
  •  

Jamie D

•  

aleon515

Well of course this is *presentation* and not actually gender. Sometimes my clothes have more reflected my discomfort with my female shape (more or less to covering it up). Right now my presentation is pretty male (more so in public). I wear button down short sleeve shirts, pants (like cargo pants), and my cap.

--Jay Jay
  •  

Edge

26) Discuss how your clothes do or don't reflect your gender.
I mostly try to look male lately in the hopes that male me is acknowledged, but what clothes I wear doesn't always reflect what gender I am at the time.
  •  

suzifrommd

What happened? Suddenly this mighty thread fell silent? I mean, how bad can #27 be. Let's see:
Quote27) Write a poem about being Genderqueer. (if you struggle, try a haiku, acrostic poem with your name, or just a stream of conciousness paragraph)

Oh. Hmm. Well. Um.

Okay, someone has to break the ice.

Caution: Don't read my poem if you can't handle people making light of transgender.

An original limerick by Andy G.:

The trans man became quite dismayed
At the ample breasts he displayed.
The trans woman calls,
"I'm getting tired of my balls,
Perhaps we could arrange some sort of trade."

Well, you asked for it...
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

eli77

Quote from: agfrommd on July 04, 2012, 09:18:34 PM
27) Write a poem about being Genderqueer. (if you struggle, try a haiku, acrostic poem with your name, or just a stream of conciousness paragraph)

Crafting

With saw
and scalpel
I am
slit
apart
and with stitches and scars sewn together.

Nose to toes,
tits to ass
– I reclaim every
precious
inch
of flesh.
  •  

Jamie D

Oh brother.

Can we lock this thread now before it gets too campy?
  •  

Jamie D

Day 27

27) Write a poem about being Genderqueer.

R-rating warning

There once was a tran' from Nantucket
Who looked at her junk and said "f*ck it!"
If I can't off this cock
With the strike of a rock
I'm booking a flight down to Phuket.
  •  

aleon515

27) Write a poem about being Genderqueer.

There once was  a lady named Venus,
Who got a very large........

sorry sorry :)
--Jay Jay
  •  

Jamie D

Once you start ..

you MUST finish!
  •  

Pica Pica

I am no poet, but here is a whack.
I'm a prose kinda person, more of a hack.
I can churn out the odd set of rhyming lines
And describe a pretty wood with fresh pines.
But not such a wood is the androgyne forest, it's windy and it's dark
Strange animals make sounds in the nights and the trees have scratchy bark.
And in the forest dwell, a bunch of unicorn
Some wake up in the night and some wake in the morn.
Some are pink and some are blue and some are ultramarine
Some have not colour at all, some dirty, some clean.
And I am one of them, swishing me mane and tail.
My life it is now pretty good, even if me poem's a fail.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •