Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Working out to lose muscle mass?

Started by michelle666, June 21, 2012, 02:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michelle666

So I need to lose some muscle mass. I would like to keep what I've gained in fat in the chest and hips though and get rid of the muscle bulk. From what I've been reading if you working out in the morning before eating, doing cardio, your body will burn some muscle for energy. Has anyone found this to be true?
I just joined a gym and like the elliptical machines, so I'm starting that tomorrow.
  •  

meia

is true to an extent, however only marginal. The only way to remove muscle mass is to overwork the muscle then starve it of recovery.

Muscles tear ofc and grow bigger when fed with protien, you have to do high reps, very high then remove protein from the recovery part, i.e 2 hours after a workout atleast.

i did this to great effect but you must be strict, verry strict and patient to get results,  here is a link detailing it much better then i can. The article is for calves but the science is identical for any muscle group.

Btw the cardio you speak of will end up removing much more fat then you will probably like, weight training burns fat but equally pure cardio burns fat only much more, in my body experience anyway

http://www.calfreduction.net/content/train-reduce-muscle-size

i hope you achieve you goals :)
  •  

michelle666

Thanks for the link.

I started the gym this morning. I'm just doing the elliptical machine for now. I'm not going to do anything with weights. I don't want to take the chance of anything getting bigger. I can stand to lose some fat, just hopefully it goes form the right places..
  •  

Kitty_Babe

I really must try some yoga some time ! :)
  •  

meia

wieghts are nothing to be scare of if done correctly and you understand the impact of it

i can understand though, if you are on hrt though and blocked T atleast then you have verry much even less to worry of :)
Reverse weight training though is the only good way to remove mass unless you starve completely and that is in itself unsustainable for most of us.

High reps low weights, you probably already know weight trainers body builders do low reps high weight for mass. Is simple process of just reversing and making that recovery process impossible for the muscle group i.e the starvation of the muscle, it tears so instead of allowing it to get bigger, it just grows smaller

;)
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: meia on June 22, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
Is simple process of just reversing and making that recovery process impossible for the muscle group i.e the starvation of the muscle, it tears so instead of allowing it to get bigger, it just grows smaller

How do we stop the cannibalising of the muscles we want to grow bigger?

Here, they talk about eating fruit and veg after exercise to prevent that:
http://www.tptherapy.com.au/blog/are-you-cannibalising-your-muscles-and-bones/
  •  

meia

Quote from: Felicitá on June 22, 2012, 07:54:47 AM
How do we stop the cannibalising of the muscles we want to grow bigger?

Here, they talk about eating fruit and veg after exercise to prevent that:
http://www.tptherapy.com.au/blog/are-you-cannibalising-your-muscles-and-bones/

The op wished to reduce muscle size so i supplied the correct way to do that. You can eat after, just no protien as i stated earlier and the trainer does in the article. If you wish to grow them then carry on as normal in the recovery stage  :)
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: meia on June 22, 2012, 08:26:08 AM
The op wished to reduce muscle size so i supplied the correct way to do that. You can eat after, just no protien as i stated earlier and the trainer does in the article. If you wish to grow them then carry on as normal in the recovery stage  :)

Sorry, what I mean is, if you want to grow muscles and shrink muscles in different parts of the body at the same time. Shrink muscles in the arms and grow them in the butt and thighs. Was wondering whether the muscles one wants to grow would be cannibalised by the muscles one wants to shrink.
  •  

meia

Quote from: Felicitá on June 22, 2012, 08:47:52 AM
Sorry, what I mean is, if you want to grow muscles and shrink muscles in different parts of the body at the same time. Shrink muscles in the arms and grow them in the butt and thighs. Was wondering whether the muscles one wants to grow would be cannibalised by the muscles one wants to shrink.

Ahh my appolgises Señorita

i think i misunderstood, it really is going to be impossible to both grow and shrink at the same time because if you introduce protein back into recovery then both muscle gorup will of fed off that. You will wish to consider the best goal for that gorup, i.e you wish to make legs small, you work them with limited recovery but then wish to grow a butt that will be a seperate session all together.

There is no easy way to seperate that funny i have done a similar thing though, i reduced calfs but increased my butt so i did a day of many calf raises (no protien) then squats etc for my butt another day with normal diet.

I would always leave a day or two between groups though to ensure the protien never affected the wrong muscle group. I am Vegan so i had to introduce protien into my diet anyway and i guess that helped.

i am hoping that makes sense now?
  •