News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Update on Susan's Place

Started by Susan, July 10, 2012, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

Susan and I had a little mix up of no consequence,

I like to remain anonymous so I was a little surprised to see the acknowledgement; my contribution is tiny. Susan has been and is the backbone of this marvellous site, and it is her hard work and commitment that we owe thanks for.  I am in a fortunate position so I help when and where I can. I certainly do not seek any privilege or comment. Susan's has benefited me and made my life so much better that I am happy to help her to provide the site to as many people as possible.

My sheep and I are very happy walking around the wineries of Adelaide, you get used to the Baa Hic sound.

Cindy
  •  

Padma

I'll be very happy to contribute - but I'm not comfortable with the idea of showing 'levels of financial contribution'. Specifically, if you're going to include that, I'd like the option to 'opt out' of being visible in that way. It goes against my grain.

I'd like to add my vote for PayPal as the main means to contribute, it seems to be pretty universal with people, and has its own options built-in for how people manage their contribution sources (bank account, credit card, no need to have a PayPal account to donate through them, handles different currencies well, etc.) so you wouldn't need to manage all that yourself. Of course, it might not be the 'cheapest' way to accept donations/subscriptions, but it's so easy to use that you might get more in the end.

I'm very grateful for this place - I've not been able to participate much lately, I've been too busy sorting myself out - but it's an incredible resource. It's almost the only site diverse enough to make me feel comfortable.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

AbraCadabra

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Amazon D

paypal doesn't work for me

and yes we should have levels but not gloating one over another.
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Cindy

Can I second, third and fourth that.

I would not want any acknowledgement of how much people contribute. You have an annual fee. If people want to give more, fine. End of story.
  •  

Padma

Sure, not everyone has access to a PayPal account (some entire countries don't, the Ukraine for example) so an alternative way would be needed too.

I'm interested to know why some people feel there's a benefit to showing the level of donation/subscription a user is making? What am I missing here?
Womandrogyne™
  •  

V M

I would rather not show the level of donation also  :)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Elena G

Bring it on, ladies. I'll be glad to give as much as I can.
Be kind to me,
or treat me mean...
I'll make the most of it,
I'm an extraordinary machine
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Arch on July 11, 2012, 08:34:11 PM
My only concern is security. I am pretty invested in maintaining my anonymity here. Would there be any connection between my screen name and my legal name? I'm guessing not, but I have to ask.

I have no intention of allowing anything that would compromise members security. I am sure paypal will send out a notification email which may give some information about the person paying. I will not allow anyone else access to them and I generally will not even look at them myself, unless there is a payment issue.  Yes you have to trust me, but if the last 16 years hasn't proven that is a safe thing to do, nothing will.

Ok so no on the donation level indication, doesn't bother me either way.

We are still a bit away from any of this occuring, I am working on the deniability issue, before proceeding with it.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

crazy old bat

I suppose I could turn an extra trick or two to pay my part.
  •  

Violet Bloom

Quote from: Jaime on July 12, 2012, 11:34:21 AM
I suppose I could turn an extra trick or two to pay my part.

Hmmmm, no emoticons - she sounds entirely serious!

•  

peky

Quote from: Violet Bloom on July 12, 2012, 11:37:56 AM
Hmmmm, no emoticons - she sounds entirely serious!

Where did she said she usually hangs around?  >:-)
  •  

Devlyn

I thought Jaime worked at a store....explains the "Back in 15 minutes" sign! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

crazy old bat

Quote from: peky on July 12, 2012, 11:58:21 AM
Where did she said she usually hangs around?  >:-)
5 nights a week you can find me working on the corner.  :laugh:
  •  

cynthialee

I understand the desire to maintain equality but let me interject some of my opinions here,
If you want folks to donate regulary there needs to be ome form of incentive. Sure there is a core group here that will be willing to do their part when they can but I doubt it will be enough to maintain the site.
If you have a section of the forums available to only dues paying members you will get more folks paying.
I know I know....this feels somewhat dirty, but I know human nature. If there is no motivational factor tied to the act of paying dues, then it will fail in the long run.
You can probably pony up a nice amount of funds for the site with an initial "please donate to save susnas' campaign but I just can't see it being sustainable.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Susan

For those wondering about international donations,  It looks like Paypal will work out for that as well.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Jaime on July 12, 2012, 12:26:23 PM
5 nights a week you can find me working on the corner.  :laugh:

Yeah, the corner store!  I was hooking today, but that was on the golf course.
  •  

BillieTex

Be true to yourself, even if no one else will...
  •  

MadelineB

Susan, I love all of the the plans!
One suggestion, perhaps there could also be an option to donate to a "scholarship" fund so if there are any members who need the full-member services but have a situation that is preventing them from being able to pay, they could apply for assistance. Your site has helped me a great deal, and I would be willing to donate what I can for others less fortunate in addition to keeping the site going. If someone is homeless, or in a vulnerable circumstance at home, even $5 a month might be a barrier.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

V M

Possibly a gift membership could be made available
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •