Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Home Town Transition

Started by snowboarderchic, July 28, 2012, 10:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowboarderchic

So I started transitioning about 5 years ago in my home town of about 2k people. I lost everything, had to move in with my parents about two years in, and I'm still staying with them at the age of 34. I've had people laugh at me, publicly ridicule me, threaten violence on me. I've lost every close friend I had in my community.
Yet, while I may not be financially secure (yet), I'm still standing.
I went back to college got my undergrad completed, and currently perusing my masters degree. People are starting to come around. For the most part don't get ridiculed by people; just the looser ones who no one cares about anyway. I'm getting respect, and people are now waving to me as the used to.
I still don't really have any close friends, but that is due to my own making. Between school, kids and works (2 jobs in the winter), I really don't have a lot of time, although that is the only time I get out and do stuff, because all my snowboard friends come back for the winter.
I guess my little ramble here is about not running from myself, but rather standing my ground. I've been kinda down lately and writing this just cheered me up, and reminded me of all I should be happy for. So I'm just sharing it with all of you!
  •  

SourCandy

*hugs* ^^ Reading helped boost my confidence in myself. You have done amazing and I hope I can look back five years in the future and feel like I at least got somewhere and am going somewhere still.
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi snowboarderchic

Good to see you are making headway. Just goes to prove, those that care, don't matter, and those that matter don't care. At least you'll be able to work yourself out of that closed community into a more accepting one where you will flourish and grow to your astonishment.

Keep up the good work and keep in touch and let us know how you are coping.

Be safe, well and happy,
Lotsa huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Adrasteia

Quote from: snowboarderchic on July 28, 2012, 10:32:01 PM
So I started transitioning about 5 years ago in my home town of about 2k people. I lost everything, had to move in with my parents about two years in, and I'm still staying with them at the age of 34. I've had people laugh at me, publicly ridicule me, threaten violence on me. I've lost every close friend I had in my community.
Yet, while I may not be financially secure (yet), I'm still standing.
I went back to college got my undergrad completed, and currently perusing my masters degree. People are starting to come around. For the most part don't get ridiculed by people; just the looser ones who no one cares about anyway. I'm getting respect, and people are now waving to me as the used to.
I still don't really have any close friends, but that is due to my own making. Between school, kids and works (2 jobs in the winter), I really don't have a lot of time, although that is the only time I get out and do stuff, because all my snowboard friends come back for the winter.
I guess my little ramble here is about not running from myself, but rather standing my ground. I've been kinda down lately and writing this just cheered me up, and reminded me of all I should be happy for. So I'm just sharing it with all of you!
This is inspiriing - you rock!
  •  

snowboarderchic

Thanks for all the kind comments. I guess it's important to remember that EVERYONE has down moments and periods of instability. It is not a phenomena specific to trans folk, although some days, Me included, seem to feel that way. I've realized as of late that while it is the end goal that is my motivation, its the everyday struggles that make me who I am and keep me on the path that I desire. Everyday is just a test, and I readily accept the challenge, and make each decision as well as I can. As the saying goes, it's not the destination, but journey along the way.
  •