Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A passport experience

Started by Steph, April 15, 2007, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

I will be traveling to see my mom and dad in England this July so I needed to get a passport.  I truly thought that it would be an ordeal as there have been many changes in my life such as three name changes and of course my SRS last December.

Anyway I had heard that if a person were to apply online that the whole process would be faster, which was good enough for me given the rush of Canadians here to get passports to travel to the USA.  So online I went and I completed the application over a couple of days.  Then after the mandatory two photos, and having my printed application notarized by my lawyer I set off yesterday to the Passport office in Whitby, Ontario (open on Saturdays), two hours away.

As expected there was a long line up when I arrived but after a 20 minute wait I was inside the building standing in front of one of the many clerks.  She noted from my application that I had applied online and gave me a different number from the other applicants of which there were hundreds.  So with my number, my application, and supporting documents I sat amongst the throng and prepared for a wait.  The office was to close at noon so I was fully prepared to be waiting that long but instead, no sooner had I sat and was reasonably comfortable I saw my number flashing in the "Now serving number... " sign.  Wow that was quick and noting the dirty looks from the others, sheepishly walked up the the empty booth.

The clerk was very nice and friendly and taking my official documentation, she started the process to complete my application.  All was going well, we were chatting back and forth when she suddenly said "OH!".  I looked down at the documents and she was comparing my birth certificate and citizenship certificate, both of which said I was male and my divers license and health card, and me, all of which said I was female.  I quickly took out and presented the clerk the affidavit from Dr Brassard attesting to my gender and the surgery and she read through it it said "no problems", had me sign a few documents smiled and said you should have your passport in three weeks.

This had to have been one of the nicest experiences I've encountered with a government agency and I told the clerk so.  I'll definitely be writing to "Passport Canada' to let them know what a great experience mine was.

Now I'll have to wait and if Canada Post can live up to their end of the deal and get my passport to me :)

Steph
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Steph on April 15, 2007, 09:37:40 AM
This had to have been one of the nicest experiences I've encountered with a government agency and I told the clerk so.  I'll definitely be writing to "Passport Canada' to let them know what a great experience mine was.

Do pat them on the back!

-K
  •  

Dennis

Definitely. I'm glad you had such a good experience, Steph. I didn't have the ID issue when I went in because my citizenship card says male, so I didn't get to test 'em.

Dennis
  •  

Rachel

wait....government agencies not reacting badly to transgender status.......is that possible
  •  

Suzy

Steph, congratualtions!  It's good to see this going right for you.  Of course you know, many of us will be wanting to move to Canada now.

Kristi
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Kristi on April 15, 2007, 01:52:54 PM
Steph, congratualtions!  It's good to see this going right for you.  Of course you know, many of us will be wanting to move to Canada now.

Kristi

LOL... Come on up we have lots of space, we're easy to get along with and the language is a breeze to learn and understand.  You just need to learn the word "Eh!", and when to use it, and that HNC stands for "Hockey Night in Canada" :)

Chat later Eh!

Steph
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: Rachel on April 15, 2007, 01:15:58 PM
wait....government agencies not reacting badly to transgender status.......is that possible

Of course it is as long as it's not the U.S. government.

Unfortunately I will not be able to move to Canada.  I have never been able to understand the rules to hockey.  And what the heck is icing anyway? ;D

Beverly
  •  

KarenLyn

Hi Steph!
It's always nice to hear when something goes right. I don't think I'll move up there though. As much as I dislike the Bush regime and American politics in general, I love my home and  I'll just tough it out. Besides, I'd feel silly trying to remember to say "Eh" in every sentence. ;)

♪  Karen Lyn  ♫
  •  

Rachel

Quote from: BeverlyAnn on April 15, 2007, 06:15:08 PM

Unfortunately I will not be able to move to Canada.  I have never been able to understand the rules to hockey.  And what the heck is icing anyway? ;D

Beverly
very good point Beverly, well played -giggles-
Darn USA
  •  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Kristi on April 15, 2007, 01:52:54 PM

Kristi

You realize of course that you'll need a US passport to get into Canada now?  ;)

Quote from: KarenLyn on April 15, 2007, 06:34:28 PM
Hi Steph!
I don't think I'll move up there though. As much as I dislike the Bush regime and American politics in general, I love my home and  I'll just tough it out. ♪  Karen Lyn  ♫

And... the sky isn't quite as interesting up that far north of the equator!

;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

tinkerbell

It sounds like the Canadian Government knows how to handle its citizens.  They are getting better around here as well.  ;)

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Laura Eva B

Glad it all went so well Steph !

My folks live near Whitby (Whitby UK that is - the pretty fishing town on the North Sea coast - Dracula legends etc.) !

Here in "blighty" (UK), we can get a passport in new name and gender by sending in a change of name deed (10 min job at any solicitors office) and an appropriate psych's letter, no post op requirement.  Birth certificate change is also now a formality if you're post op and 2 years+ RLE.

I'm a Brassard girl too ... just 4 -5 months before you ... when the weather was hot (!) ...

Wasn't Chantal soo wonderful, and Pierre Brassard really charming ?

Is this really your first visit back to see folks as Steph ?  If so I hope it goes well for you.

Laura x
  •  

Lisbeth

I cannot complain about US Customs after my two trips to Canada last year.  Remember that my name change isn't for another 8 days from now.

The first time coming back into the US, the customs agent started running through his questions and asked for my passport.  He looked at it, did a double-take and started looking back and fourth between me and my picture.  Then I said, "Do you go by the name 'Robert?'"  I told him I generally go by "Elisabeth."  He had totally lost track of where he was, so he started the questions over from the beginning.  After we were done with the list, he said, "Thank you.  You can go now, Elisabeth."

The second time coming back, they hardly asked me anything.  I think they all knew about me by then.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Danielle_oc_ca

Three weeks!!

Passport Canada are reporting 10 weeks on the web site. I applied January 21st and got mine March 28th. My daughter applied January 15th and while they just cashed her cheque, she has still not received it.

Maybe applying the way you did is better. But then, while I am a Canadian, I am living in Southern California and my Canadian daughter is going to college in Pittsburgh.

Danielle

•  

Steph

True to their word my passport arrived by registered mail on May 1st, yay.  I was a little skeptical when they first told me at the passport office that I would have it in three weeks but heck what do I know.  They were right :)

Steph
  •  

Suzy

Hooray!  How awesome to have that F where it belongs.

So happy for you.

Kristi
  •  

Jay

Wicked thats brillant! Im happy for you its nice when things happen quickly. :)

•