Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My first attempt at makeup

Started by Joann, August 08, 2012, 07:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joann

Looked a bit like this.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZu4wYBukXh6BCirDSVr7yzdbRdbJkCyw8hkJGztHM3weXv-p4

But a little work on the brows and dark circles looks good.
pics sometime soon.
♪♫ You dont look different but you have changed...
I'm looking through you,. Your not the same ♪♫ :)
  •  

Veronique

Everyone starts as a beginner. There are so many sources to find information on how to apply make up but the best thing is to buy cheap make up and practise, that's what i do. I notice every time i put on make up i keep getting better, so don't worry! Most important thing is you're having fun right?
Hard ground makes strong roots.
  •  

Beth Andrea

OMG I just about destroyed my keyboard!!

I tried putting on an entire "face" a couple times, but then realized my skills are just not there yet. I started (after trying full-bore makeup) with just foundation, getting used to it, touching up, etc. and then the cleanup....

After a couple weeks, I kept the foundation and added powder...got used to that, touching up, etc and then cleanup...

(btw, use lotion before putting it on and after washing off the makeup, it helps keep the skin healthy)

After foundation and powder, I did eyeshadow.  Then blush. Now I'm working on eyeliner (which you should put on *first*, because if you mess it up you can wash it off without damaging your beautiful made-up face).

It's one thing if you can take a class or whatever and learn it all at once...I couldn't do that so I just took it casually and at my own speed. Now I are byootifahl!
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Joann

Haven't tried the full Monty yet just brows and foundation around the eyes. My face looks a lot brighter and happier. Cant seem to get the hang of mascara. I poke my eyes, they tear up and it runs everywhere. I tried some lip gloss but i want to make my lips less red and im having a hard time finding the right shade. 
Interestingly, i feel the most apprehension when looking at lip stick. I really dont want people to see me looking at lipstick  :-*
  •  

justmeinoz

You made coffee come out my nose.  >:( :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Joann

•  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: joann on August 13, 2012, 07:03:28 AM
Haven't tried the full Monty yet just brows and foundation around the eyes. My face looks a lot brighter and happier. Cant seem to get the hang of mascara. I poke my eyes, they tear up and it runs everywhere. I tried some lip gloss but i want to make my lips less red and im having a hard time finding the right shade. 
Interestingly, i feel the most apprehension when looking at lip stick. I really dont want people to see me looking at lipstick  :-*

I'm still kinda new to mascara, but I have found that if I use one or two fingers to lightly stretch the skin while slightly closing the eye, flinching is less likely (no guarantees, but only "less" likely)...also a plastic modeling tip: When working with fine detail areas (like mascara), rest a part of the hand on the head, and use only the thumb and the index finger to actually move the brush.

With the left eye, I rest the thick part of the left hand's "heel" against my cheekbone, palm out, with the brush parallel to the brushes. (I'm left-handed, btw) With the right eye, I put my left hand palm-in, with the main part of the "heel" against my right cheekbone.

It's a little awkward, but I get the least amount of smudges that way.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

•  

Sara Thomas

lol - I'm not that handy yet with make-up myself (most avoiding it so I don't have to take it off... ::)), but I have found that a minimalist approach seems to yield the best results.

I used to let my lady do it, but she always made me look like Dr. Frankenfurter (whom she has a bit of a crush on, I believe...).

:)
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

Beth Andrea

QuoteI'm not that handy yet with make-up myself (most avoiding it so I don't have to take it off...

Definitely get in the habit of using lotion on your face and forearms daily. Also, get the pre-moistened face wipes, used for "removing makeup" (ask for that at any drug store, they'll point you right to it). Those wipes remove makeup with hardly any scrubbing, and no staining of washclothes.  :)

Use lotion again after cleaning the face of makeup.

•  

Sara Thomas

Thanks! Will just any moisturizing lotion do, Beth Andrea?
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Sadie May on August 14, 2012, 06:52:40 PM
Thanks! Will just any moisturizing lotion do, Beth Andrea?

I suppose, I don't know. I look for vitamin E and Aloe, those seem to be oft-suggested traits of good lotion. I don't have a favorite brand; store brands have worked as well as the name brands (except for Gold Bond; the GB brand itself is much better than either Walmart or Walgreens, imho)

I don't like thicker lotions (they feel too...well, thick...on me, I end up daubing with a towel to get the excess off). Thinner, lighter lotions seem to absorb more thoroughly.

•  

Joann

Quote from: Beth Andrea on August 14, 2012, 09:20:07 PM
I suppose, I don't know. I look for vitamin E and Aloe, those seem to be oft-suggested traits of good lotion. I don't have a favorite brand; store brands have worked as well as the name brands (except for Gold Bond; the GB brand itself is much better than either Walmart or Walgreens, imho)

I don't like thicker lotions (they feel too...well, thick...on me, I end up daubing with a towel to get the excess off). Thinner, lighter lotions seem to absorb more thoroughly.

Aveneno make  some thin stuff. Aqualin is a gel but completely absorbs in seconds. both expensive.
http://www.natural-living.com/aqualin.php
  •