Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isabelle

Hi all, I thought I'd start a thread where people can upload audio clips of their voices and get feedback, in the hope we can all help each other out :)
Anyway, I'll go first... I should point out this is from my first day training my voice.. It's not great but, my "male" voice was pretty andro to begin with.. Anyway take a listen and Id love to hear what people think

http://soundcloud.com/natjs/voice-day-1

Please feel free to comment, and upload your own clips !
(I use soundcloud.com for a free account, and there is an app for smartphones that's easy to use and simple to share sounds on :) )
  •  

Ave

Quote from: Isabelle on September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM
Hi all, I thought I'd start a thread where people can upload audio clips of their voices and get feedback, in the hope we can all help each other out :)
Anyway, I'll go first... I should point out this is from my first day training my voice.. It's not great but, my "male" voice was pretty andro to begin with.. Anyway take a listen and Id love to hear what people think

http://soundcloud.com/natjs/voice-day-1

Please feel free to comment, and upload your own clips !
(I use soundcloud.com for a free account, and there is an app for smartphones that's easy to use and simple to share sounds on :) )

wow, sounds REALLY good to me (and I'm a harsh critic) for a beginning shot, just clean it up a little here and there and you're set!^^

And your accent is SEXY! :D
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

jesse

i agree very feminine i thinkits a pass very nice
like a knife that cuts you the wound heals but them scars those scars remain
  •  

Erica

•  

Isabelle

Awww, thanks for the comments everyone :) it would be awesome if a few other people would upload some clips :)
  •  

Erica

Quote from: Isabelle on September 19, 2012, 03:52:26 AM
Awww, thanks for the comments everyone :) it would be awesome if a few other people would upload some clips :)

Maybe I'll upload something tomorrow : ) 
  •  

Isabelle

•  

Ave

Quote from: Isabelle on September 19, 2012, 03:52:26 AM

what if we actually want a deeper more androgynous voice? Can you actually train your voice to be deeper? :P
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: Ave on September 19, 2012, 08:23:18 AM
what if we actually want a deeper more androgynous voice? Can you actually train your voice to be deeper? :P

YOU certainly can. Margaret Thatcher did it..
  •  

Ave

Quote from: Felicitá on September 19, 2012, 09:21:37 AM
YOU certainly can. Margaret Thatcher did it..

well yeah, no one wants to sound like minnie mouse :O
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: Ave on September 19, 2012, 09:32:37 AM

well yeah, no one wants to sound like minnie mouse :O

You really are a little pixie!
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: Isabelle on September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM
.. Anyway take a listen and Id love to hear what people think

Sounds very good and natural and sexy to boot.
  •  

Beverly

OK - I am always going on about voice, so here is mine (or some of it....). I am well aware that it needs improvement but for everyday use it gets me gendered as female so it goes to show that you do not have to be perfect. It is totally different from my male voice.

http://soundcloud.com/brc2012/brc-voice-1/s-6r3pU
  •  

Isabelle

Quote from: Ave on September 19, 2012, 08:23:18 AM

Ave, this thread is just about getting our voice to a place we're happy with ;) Higer, lower or whatevs makes you happy is all good.

Brc, thanks so much for uploading :) my first impression is that I'm listening to a female speaker :) I do notice a little bit of vocal fry happening, I wonder if perhaps you're tired when you recorded this or it could just be a totally normal feature of your voice. I absolutely love your accent!
  •  

Isabelle

Erica, you sound really good :) thanks so much for uploading too! I know what you mean about not knowing what to say lol.... It's the hardest thing about training your voice I find... Talking to yourself while not feeling like a lunatic is a bit of a skill :)
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Isabelle on September 19, 2012, 04:09:19 PM
Brc, thanks so much for uploading :) my first impression is that I'm listening to a female speaker :) I do notice a little bit of vocal fry happening, I wonder if perhaps you're tired when you recorded this or it could just be a totally normal feature of your voice.
Thanks for the feedback. It was late here (about 8pm or 9pm) and it was a long day at work. I am not sure what 'vocal fry' is but my microphone setup needed a lot of fiddling and the graph at sound cloud looks odd so I think that the recording is probably not very good. The microphone is unpowered, maybe I need a powered one?

Quote from: Isabelle on September 19, 2012, 04:09:19 PM
I absolutely love your accent!
OMG! I hate my accent. I hate it even more in male mode but yours sounds fantastic. Way, way nicer than mine.

Erica - any chance of a longer recording? It sounded good but it was so short....
  •  

Keaira

I'll add a clip in a few hours. I'm fighting a bad cough that still wont go away so, I think I sound like crap no matter what. I have tried changing my voice but I only send up sounding like an old lady, so I stick with my own natural voice. gets me Ma'amed on the phone every time anyway. :P
so far, the clips I've heard are all very passable. ^_^
  •  

Beverly

Off topic: Anyone who is doing voice might like to read this https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,127024.0.html or offer tips to the OP, especially if you have done the Kathe Perez course.
  •  

Isabelle

Brc, vocal fry is a term used to describe a quality in a persons voice, it can be totally normal or it can cause damage to the vocal chords, sometimes it's caused by straining your voice or your voice box being "not warmed up" Like when you first wake up in the morning :)

Also, later today I'll upload a sample of me using my old voice, and the "trick" I use to use my new voice... Not that I'm an expert in any way shape or form, and my voice isn't so wonderful that I think I should be showing others.... But maybe it will help some peeps get started :)
  •