News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beverly

Quote from: Keaira on September 21, 2012, 05:55:45 AM
How is it that everyone hears a passable voice and I don't?
I have not listened to your sample yet (I'm at work and do my posts in between work stuff) but maybe your problem is the same as mine - everyone else's voice sounds better  :-\

The grass is always greener.....?
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: brc on September 20, 2012, 06:42:43 AM
Off topic: Anyone who is doing voice might like to read this https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,127024.0.html or offer tips to the OP, especially if you have done the Kathe Perez course.

Updated. The first thing I wanted to do was find my vocal range and see where I can work. This is where I currently stand:

Quote- Natural default pitch: 100 hz
- Current default pitch: 140 hz
- Vocal "break to falsetto" point: 200 hz
- Vocal Range I use for talking: 120-200 hz.

And that is if know how to measure it, which I am not really sure.

My standard voice:

I don't know if I am physically able to do it, bur A3/220 is beyond my possibilities for now. No samples for now, it's just a man / teen voice, a bit higher pitched than usual.
  •  

Isabelle

•  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Isabelle on September 21, 2012, 07:49:21 AM
Crt, are you able to "hum" an A3?

No. I can only hum up to F3/G3. If I try to get to A3, I notice the falsetto sound and it hurts a lot. I also constant throat mucosity, a deviated septum, nose slightly bent and I can only use one nostril to breath. They are supposed to take some radiographies of it during the next month. And that's why I am so worried about the voice: Not exactly a decent breathing system that really f*cks my outdoor cardio trainings.
  •  

Isabelle

Well the good news is its only 2 whole tones from F3 to A3, I'm sure there's a way to do it :) it might help if you upload an audio clip of you just humming up to where your break is, that way people might have a better idea of the problem you're having and hopefully might have some tips for ways you can work around it :)
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Isabelle on September 21, 2012, 08:00:49 AM
Well the good news is its only 2 whole tones from F3 to A3, I'm sure there's a way to do it :)
Just gently keep pushing at it, but do not strain it, just keep trying to get higher for a few minutes at a time, two or three times a day. Give yourself a few weeks. Patience is the key. Do not rush this.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Isabelle on September 21, 2012, 08:00:49 AM
Well the good news is its only 2 whole tones from F3 to A3, I'm sure there's a way to do it :) it might help if you upload an audio clip of you just humming up to where your break is, that way people might have a better idea of the problem you're having and hopefully might have some tips for ways you can work around it :)

Here you go, although as a lot of people, I hate hearing myself. Even if it is only humming.

http://soundcloud.com/altus-3/humming-low-to-high

It hurts so much now. Between yerterday's straining and the flu, I should completely stop for a few days.

PS: Found a great place for practising without fear of being heard:

We only use them twice per year, and they are completely insulated, no sound will come out even if you shout. If nobody is using the room, I can go there during the recess.

Edit: Alright, this is my current voice... Sorry, it is ridiculous (sorry about not being in english)

Deep

The higher I can speak and articulate

I don't think I can do it, at least the pitch. The higher I raise the pitch, the less strenght I have.
  •  

Keaira

Quote from: brc on September 21, 2012, 06:23:17 AM
I have not listened to your sample yet (I'm at work and do my posts in between work stuff) but maybe your problem is the same as mine - everyone else's voice sounds better  :-\

The grass is always greener.....?

possibly. Or it could be that I find it too incredible to believe that my own voice is naturally passable.
  •  

Snowpaw

Quote from: Keaira on September 21, 2012, 12:38:13 PM
possibly. Or it could be that I find it too incredible to believe that my own voice is naturally passable.

It's probably that, tbh up until this thread I didn't believe I sounded anything other than a squeeky lispy gay guy. Sometimes it takes randoms to tell you what you need to hear. Voices are always different, yours sounds very fem, it doesn't have to be incredibly valley girl to sound girly. Take Donna from that 70s show. She has a very normal girl voice and so do you :)
  •  

Keaira

Quote from: Snowpaw on September 21, 2012, 12:44:21 PM
It's probably that, tbh up until this thread I didn't believe I sounded anything other than a squeeky lispy gay guy. Sometimes it takes randoms to tell you what you need to hear. Voices are always different, yours sounds very fem, it doesn't have to be incredibly valley girl to sound girly. Take Donna from that 70s show. She has a very normal girl voice and so do you :)

I guess I really really really lucked out with puberty. I think my voice changed only very slightly. 
  •  

Snowpaw

Quote from: Keaira on September 21, 2012, 12:51:02 PM
I guess I really really really lucked out with puberty. I think my voice changed only very slightly.
Be happy :D Your voice is very very real :)
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Agh, I just can't I'm analyzing the pitch in all of your samples, and it so perfect, always over 200 in a natural way.  With my natural tone at 100-150 and having to force it to even reach 170-140, I'm seriously f*cked.

I don't know if I can train to get a higher pitch without straining myself. The more I rise, the lower the volume.
  •  

Ave

Quote from: Crt.rnA on September 21, 2012, 08:27:31 AM

Here you go, although as a lot of people, I hate hearing myself. Even if it is only humming.

http://soundcloud.com/altus-3/humming-low-to-high

It hurts so much now. Between yerterday's straining and the flu, I should completely stop for a few days.

PS: Found a great place for practising without fear of being heard:

We only use them twice per year, and they are completely insulated, no sound will come out even if you shout. If nobody is using the room, I can go there during the recess.

Edit: Alright, this is my current voice... Sorry, it is ridiculous (sorry about not being in english)

Deep

The higher I can speak and articulate

I don't think I can do it, at least the pitch. The higher I raise the pitch, the less strenght I have.

you have a pretty regular male voice, not particularly deep. Also, your voice doesn't have a gravelly undertone so you wouldn't have to work as hard.

The high voice does sound a little minnie mouse-ish.

****Tu ceceo me hace reir! :D
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Ave on September 21, 2012, 01:10:45 PM
****Tu ceceo me hace reir! :D

Blame my clogged nose... F*ck, I'm deleting them.

Sh*t, do I really do that? Why the f*ck nobody tells me? No, it can't be "ceceo" (swapping c and s). I have seen with the people that do that, and it is impossible to understand them (matadores). I'd have to have been born in the south to achieve that.
  •  

Erica

Quote from: Snowpaw on September 21, 2012, 12:44:21 PM

I worry that in conversation my voice sometimes sounds too deep.  I don't think it ever does, but I worry about it.  I think it can be difficult to divorce yourself from all of the things that you think and worry about yourself. 
  •  

Ave

Quote from: Crt.rnA on September 21, 2012, 01:14:16 PM

Sh*t, do I really do that? Why the f*ck nobody tells me? No, it can't be "ceceo" (swapping c and s). I have seen with the people that do that, and it is impossible to understand them (matadores). I'd have to have been born in the south to achieve that.

nah man, for latin americans the whole lisping thing you do IS a "ceceo". I get that for you "ceceo" refers to what people of Andaluz do, but for us all of you speak funny and we call it "ceceo". :P Don't worry, you don't swap it (but even IF you did, y'all should cut the southeners some slack).

*tambien tenemos una version del "ceceo" aqui, pero es mas lijera y facil de controlar. En NYC suena estran(squiggly line)o. :P
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Crt.rnA on September 21, 2012, 01:14:16 PM

I think you have a charming voice.  Many born-males have to learn and re-train their voices.  Look at Annah's videos on YouTube.
  •  

Erica

Keaira, I love your Orlando quote!  I love that movie : )
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Jamie D on September 21, 2012, 01:29:50 PM
I think you have a charming voice.

I got that one... from my Ex.  :( (Why everything reminds me of her?) I hope they will find something on the tests next month.

Come to think about it, even with a normal voice a lot of sounds are failing me, like if there was something stuck there. Sadly, the examination won't happen until october. I wanted to wait for voice training until then, but I am quite desperate.

Edit: The tests are only for alergies and the sinuses. If I want my throat checked, I'll have to pay for it.

Quote from: Ave on September 21, 2012, 01:26:39 PM
the whole lisping thing you do IS a "ceceo".

You just made me look the definition for lisp. I have that? But yes, people are having more problems to understand me. They have increased at the same rate as the constant throat infections... Something must be really wrong.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Jamie D on September 21, 2012, 01:29:50 PM
Look at Annah's videos on YouTube.

I am even afraid to look at, it will depress me even more. My range is so limited... I want to have a bit of hope, But.. Getting those cd's, and being able to get over the pitch... If I try to raise it, the spectrograph goes crazy unless I am in my natural tone, and keeping that unstable pitch raised becomes painfuls so quickly. Not even the falsetto is functional.
  •