News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Quote from: twit on October 08, 2012, 12:13:09 PM
Here is my sort of effort. There are times I am more relaxed and tend to sound smoother and all, but with my back tensed up and a little annoyed at the puppy, this is what it is now.

http://soundcloud.com/jrd63/a-whiney-twit-whining

I love that subtle drawl!
  •  

Rowan Rue

Quote from: Kelly J. P. on October 08, 2012, 12:34:35 PM

It's possible that my guy-voice is actually more of a butch-lesbian voice. I dare not try harder than this to produce a guy-voice, because I'd be pretty happy with being unable to do a proper male voice - and disuse is the number one way to put an end to being able to do things!

Yup, you just sound like a girl in both audio clips.

My personal blog is [url=http
  •  

twit

Quote from: pretty on October 08, 2012, 12:24:11 PM
Probably pass but, well the main problem that I hear is the very falsetto-y quality to the voice. My advice would be to work on extending your head voice so you don't have to use falsetto. You could think of head voice as like a rich, trained and supported falsetto.
I do better when I am relaxed and my smoking isn't helping much either. I'm going to work on it a bit and also try to drop off the smoking as that does have an effect on it along with messing up my sinuses.

•  

Isabelle

Can we sticky this thread?
..... Go on.... You know you want to :)
X
  •  

Isabelle

Jamie, don't smoke. It stunts your boobs for one, and it does horrific things to your vocal chords. Studies have shown smoking can render hrt almost useless.
  •  

Isabelle

Kelly j.p, your voice fails. I'm sorry. There is no way I'd believe you're a man in either recording.
  •  

Ave

I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

pretty

Quote from: Ave on October 10, 2012, 03:13:39 PM
Another vote for a sticky!

Will third that but this is a slow forum anyway  :P
  •  

PaigeMtl

Did any one else notice that half the voice posts always mention they have a cold...why not wait until after it has passed?

I'm not being mean, it's just an observation that made me chuckle a little. ;)

JJ: sounds to me like your on the right track.
  •  

Jamie D

Sticky? Has anyone said the "magic word"?
  •  

Ave

I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

eloij

Sorry for the clip being in swedish but i feel mor comfortable with it...
So I have been experimenting now a little and this is the best i could come up with... Not pleased with it by far and probably on the same level as the other ones i posted. I don't know, what do I need to work on?
http://soundcloud.com/eloij/r-st-3
  •  

Cyndigurl45

Quote from: Cyndigurl45 on October 05, 2012, 02:57:59 PM
Well that was an experiance Sound Cloud needs a tutorial.......

Anywho I thought I'd give it a twirl

http://soundcloud.com/cyndigurl45/sounds-from-friday-afternoon-1
Was it that bad??  no takers......
  •  

pretty

Quote from: Cyndigurl45 on October 11, 2012, 11:37:29 AM
Was it that bad??  no takers......

At the moment it is a no from me, I think you would pass more in a mixed/head voice  :) something is just off with the resonance.
  •  

Cyndigurl45

Quote from: pretty on October 11, 2012, 12:10:24 PM
At the moment it is a no from me, I think you would pass more in a mixed/head voice  :) something is just off with the resonance.
Thank you sweetie, I know 4 seconds it's difficult but I just could think what to say??
  •  

Sybil

Quote from: PaigeMtl on October 10, 2012, 07:00:35 PM
Did any one else notice that half the voice posts always mention they have a cold...why not wait until after it has passed?

I did have a cold. I'm not very sure why I chose to record while I had a cold. Maybe because I was sitting around a lot and had very little else to do. Here's me without a cold: http://soundcloud.com/soundsybil/wikipedia-read/s-J4Ylb

A lot of other stuff and random background information: the way I start off the track by saying "Parks" is really (super nasally and) unintended for me. I still don't have the best control over my voice; I've been trying to do something with it for only a short while now after getting over losing it before.

Around April, I found a way to lock my vocal cords to give me a pitch I didn't have. It was probably really unhealthy, but it made me sound great, and I quickly discovered how to control my resonance to compliment my new frequency. After a few days, I became unable to perform this properly because my vocal cords became too swollen (or damaged) and I realized that it was something I couldn't keep up or rely on. Although my "loss" was overall probably a good thing, it really depressed me after getting to hear something I felt was very convincing, so I stopped working on my voice altogether and made no progress.

Again around mid to late August, I stopped being shy about voice communication and started using Skype with some of my most trusted and understanding friends while we talked or played video games. They put up with my constant voice shifts and vocal cord strains, offered input when asked, and their presence on the other end gave me something to talk about for hours on end. They were/are all very encouraging and extremely helpful for my voice.

I am also becoming very close to girlfriend status with this guy I've recently been reconnecting with (we're essentially at the stage where we act like there's a relationship and talk about it, but are both nervous to make it official in such a short time), and I have been speaking to him for hours and hours near-daily. My almost-boyfriend says he loves listening to me and it relaxes him a lot (and frequently says very sweet things to me that make my heart skip a beat or two) so it makes it easy and exciting for me to practice and develop.

I'm really proud of how far I've gotten in that time -- with methods that do not feel like they're damaging my voice -- but I know it's not perfect, and I don't have the seamless control over speaking that usually comes with months and years of using your voice. My pitch also needs more work, I think primarily because it has to physically develop over time. I realize my voice most likely passes at this point, but I was feeling sheepish about creating another "critique my voice" thread and taking up more forum space, so I posted it here to share and see the thoughts of others.

Congratulations to anyone who made it through that!
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

pretty

Does my singing voice pass? http://soundcloud.com/user963959415/singing

Okay honestly I hate my voice and I try really hard not to get depressed about it but as much as I want to sing, every time I do and then I think I sound okay until comparing it to the original song which makes me just feel horrible... I keep trying anyway and try to keep in mind that it is actually a really difficult thing to do and there's no reason to feel bad... but. Bleh. I just hate knowing that I will never have as pretty of a voice as a cis girl in the same position as me. If it were just about the pitch it would be okay but erasing a masculine timbre is so hard and strenuous :-\

Sorry to vent  :(
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: pretty on October 11, 2012, 01:27:13 PM
Does my singing voice pass? http://soundcloud.com/user963959415/singing

Okay honestly I hate my voice and I try really hard not to get depressed about it but as much as I want to sing, every time I do and then I think I sound okay until comparing it to the original song which makes me just feel horrible... I keep trying anyway and try to keep in mind that it is actually a really difficult thing to do and there's no reason to feel bad... but. Bleh. I just hate knowing that I will never have as pretty of a voice as a cis girl in the same position as me. If it were just about the pitch it would be okay but erasing a masculine timbre is so hard and strenuous :-\

Sorry to vent  :(

I can't place a gender on it because it's falsetto. It's as good or as bad as my singing. And I've got a music exam soon where I've got to sight sing and keep stealth! I'm going to get a voice/singing coach so I don't out myself singing to an examiner.
  •  

Tristan

Quote from: PaigeMtl on October 10, 2012, 07:00:35 PM

really? i cant say i noticed that.... I know i didn't
  •