Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alice10

Yay!! Finally getting there. Thank you Isabelle! :)
Started transition October 2011
Went fulltime Nov 29 2012
SRS hopefully by 2014

•  

PaigeMtl

I ordered some delivery by phone today and got sir'd...  :(
Now I'm feeling a little discouraged because I have practice every day for the past 5 months now.
Maybe my hunger gave me a deeper voice ;)
  •  

alice10

I'm sorry Paige. That has to be frustrating. Stay strong and continue to practice.

So here is an update on what my voice sounds like. Opinions please!

http://soundcloud.com/user569717311/voice-168-3gp

SRS hopefully by 2014

•  

Ms. OBrien CVT

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

alice10

SRS hopefully by 2014

•  

Beverly

•  

alice10

Thank you!

Quote from: bev2 on October 26, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
That is a huge improvement Alice

Is there anything specific I need to change about it? For the most is goes from about 170-220.
SRS hopefully by 2014

•  

Beverly

That range is fine. Mine is around 180 to 200Hz and it works OK. Try yours out in public and you will notice the difference in how people treat you.

You have got it 80% right. Unfortunately the last 20% takes lots and lots and lots of practice, but 80% is good enough for daily use.

Well done.
  •  

alice10

SRS hopefully by 2014

•  

Beverly

Quote from: alice10 on October 26, 2012, 03:32:31 PM
What is the last 20%?

The first 80% is the difference between awful and good

The last 20% is the difference between good and perfect.

The average female pitch is 221Hz but where you are is perfectly acceptable. My wife speaks at around 180Hz. The flow, the intonation, the word choice, the female laugh, the female giggle, the female cough.  "Brightness" in the upper frequencies - sharp tones, clear annunciation.

None of these are needed. You have a workable, usable voice now. Practice will improve it, but it never hurts to improve. Listen critically to recordings of you. Ideally record a GG saying a sentence and then you say it and listen to the differences and eliminate them.

Work! Work! Work! Work!

A girl's work is never done..... but you have already come a long way.

•  

alice10

I was wondering about the female cough laugh etc. Will that get better over time?
SRS hopefully by 2014

•  

Beverly

Quote from: alice10 on October 26, 2012, 04:25:13 PM
I was wondering about the female cough laugh etc. Will that get better over time?

It can do. Mine is slowly changing and developing.

•  

Stephe

Quote from: alice10 on October 26, 2012, 04:25:13 PM

a simple thing that helps the cough from being clearly a mans is just smile when you cough. The shape of your mouth seems to affect this sound a lot.
  •  

sandrauk

Quote from: Stephe on October 26, 2012, 06:25:31 PM
a simple thing that helps the cough from being clearly a mans is just smile when you cough. The shape of your mouth seems to affect this sound a lot.

This ^ is a very good tip for you, Alice, you should try varying your voice by smiling while you talk. I think your voice would be improved by pushing your lips forward and pouting. The sound seems to be coming from the sides of your mouth, almost in your cheeks
  •  

Apples Mk.II

You know how I hate this, but I need to try it again. A friend I come out to and that I talk to him through live told that my voice does not really sound like a guy's, and the GD therapist I visited on monday said that she would not be able to gender me correctly on the phone, and that I could do it. I don't exactly believe that , and you know that I have no confidence and my most common phrase is "I can't do it, I'll never be able, it's impossible". This two recordings have the voice I use when I don't feel confident or I am plainly scared. They obviously don't sound as female and I am not trying anything, but it is just my default voice, without trying to force the pitch, intonate or do anything.

Spanish:
http://snd.sc/PylfHn

English:
http://snd.sc/Y7x2fP

No text reading or anything, so it does not sound very well, I don't even know what to say. I know, it sucks, and it is even worse than in real life. I'll probably delete them in a few hours.

I have a bad tendency to tighten my throat when talking, and almost not letting air pass. I know I can get to 200 on raw sounds and sing in the 200 range, but I don't know how to transfer that to talking. No matter what I try, I alwayst start on 100, and I can't seem to avoid dropping there with each consonant.

Trying an A-B-C... to assure myself I can reach a certain pitch and start high.
http://snd.sc/PyoWNi

I'm leaving it on lesson 1-10 for today, half an hour and already quite tired. Although not with quality, what I have clear is that I can reach an acceptable pitch, but I don't know how to put it in normal talking. What I don't get is why my pitch seems to go down so much con the finish of each syllable. It does not seem to happen to other analyzed people. Probably just how my throat is...
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Apple Seed on October 27, 2012, 12:01:51 PM

English:
http://snd.sc/Y7x2fP

I'm leaving it on lesson 1-10 for today, half an hour and already quite tired. Although not with quality, what I have clear is that I can reach an acceptable pitch, but I don't know how to put it in normal talking. What I don't get is why my pitch seems to go down so much con the finish of each syllable. It does not seem to happen to other analyzed people. Probably just how my throat is...

Sorry but no one would mistake that for anything other than a male voice.

Speech in a complex learned behavior. Trying to get a female sounding voice is at least as hard as someone say who is from France and moved to the USA learning to remove ALL of their french accent from their english speech. It takes many months of daily practice to even get decent at this and that is if you can figure out what to do and what you are doing wrong etc.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Stephe on October 27, 2012, 02:49:58 PM
Sorry but no one would mistake that for anything other than a male voice.

That's what I was expecting to hear, thanks. I hate when people lie trying to make you feel better. Obviously, I have done less than two hours of practice in like two months.

The good news is that I can pull the larynx up for head resonance without problems. But I won't go very far without voice strenghtening, breathing techniques, etc. It things advance, I'd probably have yo cough up some cash for voice therapy sessions in a future. Also, talking in person with other TS's could help, on the support groups, for example.
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Apple Seed on October 27, 2012, 02:59:25 PM

That's what I was expecting to hear, thanks. I hate when people lie trying to make you feel better. Obviously, I have done less than two hours of practice in like two months.

The good news is that I can pull the larynx up for head resonance without problems. But I won't go very far without voice strenghtening, breathing techniques, etc. It things advance, I'd probably have yo cough up some cash for voice therapy sessions in a future. Also, talking in person with other TS's could help, on the support groups, for example.

Learning to breath with your diaphragm is the very first step. Women use a lot more air speaking than men do and if you "chest breath", you won't have enough air to do it correctly. And I do try to give honest feedback on voice, unlike photographs, voice recordings do for the most part sound either male or female. I've heard very few voices that you can't tell one way or the other..
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Stephe on October 27, 2012, 05:20:57 PM
Learning to breath with your diaphragm is the very first step

On july I discovered that a friend happened to be a speech therapist (reconsidering another career after losing client after client), and when i asked her on tips... "Can you do the diaphragmatic respiration? That is basic to avoid accidents with the voice and having more power"

That would have explained why when we got to the party area they could easily shout to make themselves understood, but mine was impossible. I wondered how they could raise their voice so easily without straining it.

Anyways, I a believe I am not going to succeed, I guess it does not matter to keep trying. I don't think I'll attain anything, But I'll try give it a bit of work every day.

http://soundcloud.com/altus-3/2012-10-28-metabarons

I don't know if my throat is directly damaged. Between the excessive mucosity, and my ears completely pressure blocked today, it feels as if not enough air can  pass. I need to keep doing the breathing exercises in the meantime... At least I hope that getting dental braces will help me with pronunciation.
  •  

alice10

So another update. http://soundcloud.com/user569717311/voice-173-3gp

I think I'm right where I need to talk now. I think I just need to smooth this out. Its hard to stay in this spot constantly. I am going to train a lot and see if it gets better
SRS hopefully by 2014

•