Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaigeM

Wow! You sound really feminine. Great job on your voice!

Paige
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Great voice.  Not even a hint of your past.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Sybil

Thanks! I'm really happy with where it's at. I finally started to be able to laugh and yell and do caricatures about a month and a half ago, so I've been really excited.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Stranger

Sybil, you sound lovely, and your wisdom is very very appreciated.

Unfortunately, my attempts today have been pretty hopeless! Gosh I'm finding it hard to project upwards into my head, for resonance, without increasing my pitch as well. Perhaps if I break down what I'm doing, it'll help you ladies pinpoint what I'm doing wrong? (if you're not sick of me already!)

I've recorded myself doing three versions of that stupid birch canoe:
1. in my regular male voice
2. shifting it up to the correct pitch (A3) but not trying to change the resonance
3. trying to project further up and back in my head, and then push forwards as I speak.

The results:

https://soundcloud.com/user90683091/three

As you can see+hear, step 3 also causes my pitch to go up too far, but the resonance in 2 is all wrong. Sorry if my inability to get it is frustrating (I know it is for me!), and I know the answer is probably just practice, but it's tough! I don't have anyone to give me feedback because my GF is away with family, so I really appreciate the help I'm getting here :)

EDIT: Is this more like the kind of resonance I should be trying to get, or is it on the wrong track? I've completely lost touch with what's right or wrong :/

https://soundcloud.com/user90683091/anothercanoe
  •  

Sybil

I wanted to post again in order to offer some words of encouragement and a link:

I started working on my voice in late August. It's taken me until early December to develop the voice from the clip I posted above. I'm very good with it, but some days I have great voice days and other days I have decent days (that clip I'd say is somewhere between decent and great for me, leaning towards decent). And even though I'm always very passable with my voice, I'm still working at it and trying to get it exactly where I want it to be. It takes time, and I had to learn to become very comfortable with that fact before my progress really started to climb.

A lot of developing your voice is about forming the habit and being very familiar with how sound feels in your mouth. I know that must simply sound like I'm saying to practice, but to me, it feels like there's a greater element than that -- than just practice; it's something about developing intimacy with how you speak. The best analogy I can think of is how each musician plays his or her instrument in their own way, regardless of their level of expertise. They spend hours looking for the methods to play the sounds and tones that they like and that feels right to them, not just to play well, but to express themselves in their own eloquence.

Here's a link that a friend showed me yesterday. It's from a girl who's offering some tips on learning your voice. I really love her video because when I started out, I used many of the same ideas that she's talking about there. I think it's wonderful advice for beginners, and aside from just seeming like a very pleasant person, I feel she does a great job explaining all of it:

I wish you all continued luck in your endeavors!
  •  

Stranger

Thank you again Sybil. I'll watch the video later today!

I especially appreciate the encouragement. I hope I wasn't irritating anyone with my persistent pursuit of feedback: I'm just anxious because I'm on the RLE, prior to being permitted hormone treatment. Even though my voice wasn't ready, I didn't want to miss the chance for HRT (I'm 28, not too old, but certainly not at the point where I want to miss opportunities). Because I live in a conservative Bible belt part of my country, I spend a lot of my time very, very quiet. It's hard for me, being a naturally chatty person, and more than a little scary. :) Thanks again.
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Stranger on December 25, 2012, 04:45:03 PM
It's hard for me, being a naturally chatty person,

I am too. It was REAL hard for me to be quiet :P
  •  

Sybil

You're welcome, Stranger, and it's okay -- I don't think you're irritating anyone. This thread is here for support and feedback. I think you should post as many times as you need to. People who care post here, and every voice posted has the opportunity to help someone else.
  •  

Isabelle

Sybil is right, post as much and and often as you like :) I started this thread cause I absolutely hated voice training and was scared to even try. Posting and getting feedback is great cause we all go through this process so we can all help each other out. And the best part is, it's free :)
  •  

Stranger

Thank you all so much! You've made me feel better about what was a very silent Christmas :P

I think watching that last video caused me to "get it" a little better, and I'm quite happy about today's exercises. I'll practice for a few weeks, then post how I'm doing and see what you all think :)
  •  

Seras

Thanks for those finding your female voice links earlier in this topic!

Speaking in A note makes a massive difference, even just 20hz below sounds way worse when I listen back to recordings :O

Maybe one day soon I will have some progress to post here.
  •  

katiew88

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  This is a very useful thread.  Please let me know if you think this voice is workable.  I know its kinda rough around the edges...

https://soundcloud.com/user831092101/audio-recording-on-saturday
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

At first blush it sounds androgynous to me.  Like you are trying to sound female.  You might want to try to be a little more sing-song.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: katiew88 on January 05, 2013, 11:35:13 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.  This is a very useful thread.  Please let me know if you think this voice is workable.  I know its kinda rough around the edges...

That is not at all bad. There is a touch of chest resonance in there, but it is a good start.
  •  

Stranger

Katie, you sound at the very least androgynous to me. If you look feminine as well, I like to think you'll be fine :)

I said a few weeks ago I'd post my progress. Unfortunately, I haven't really improved, as you can hear from another round of Harvard Sentences (so sick of them!)

https://soundcloud.com/user90683091/harvard-again

Not deterred, though, I'll keep at it!
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Stranger on January 06, 2013, 07:23:31 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't really improved, as you can hear from another round of Harvard Sentences (so sick of them!)

Maybe have a brief read of this...

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133260.0.html

•  

Stranger

Thanks bev, that's fascinating. I read somewhere too about something similar involving the 'd' sound - it being more of a 't' in the female speaker, or something like that. I've been trying to keep my tongue up there as best I can, but as I'm simultaneously trying to push it around to get that resonance, right now I mostly just end up tongue-tied! :P

On the bright side, even though my "female" voice still sounds male, I've had no problems out in public so far. I'm sure I'm regularly identified as transgender, yet I've been overwhelmingly treated as a woman, which is a great relief and encourages me to chatter away regardless!
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Stranger on January 07, 2013, 03:35:04 AM
Thanks bev, that's fascinating. I read somewhere too about something similar involving the 'd' sound - it being more of a 't' in the female speaker,

Yes - I would agree with that. They are pronounced very clearly by females unlike the mumble  males use for them.

Quote from: Stranger on January 07, 2013, 03:35:04 AMI've been trying to keep my tongue up there as best I can, but as I'm simultaneously trying to push it around to get that resonance, right now I mostly just end up tongue-tied! :P

:) Practice, practice....

Quote from: Stranger on January 07, 2013, 03:35:04 AM
On the bright side, even though my "female" voice still sounds male, I've had no problems out in public so far. I'm sure I'm regularly identified as transgender, yet I've been overwhelmingly treated as a woman, which is a great relief and encourages me to chatter away regardless!

I came to the conclusion some time ago, that as long as you sound remotely female then that is enough to trigger most people into treating you as female. Voice is an amazingly strong trigger.

Keep it up, keep listening to yourself and eventually it will come right. I love having the confidence to be able to open my mouth without having everyone in earshot looking round to see why there is a bloke's voice coming out of a woman's mouth. That really spooks people.
  •  

Keaira

I think this video is better than just my voice.
  •  

sam79

Stephe!! Thank you so much for your feedback last time. Very much appreciated.

I've spent some time figuring out what I was doing wrong, and have had some coaching. I'm still in *early early* days, but am apparently on the right track. This is what I sound like now ( with a mostly stuffed nose ).

https://soundcloud.com/samc79/voice2
  •