News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoeM

Ok... Back into the lion's den.

There's something about the tone of my voice, in recording at least, that doesn't sit right with me. I'm not sure if it's just from the recording, or if it's just 'cause it doesn't match the internal version I have running, but it always sounds suspiciously gravelly from where I stand.

http://soundcloud.com/omicron123/zv01/s-1bZjX
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

kyh

Quote from: ZoeM on June 12, 2013, 02:11:05 PM

There's something about the tone of my voice, in recording at least, that doesn't sit right with me. I'm not sure if it's just from the recording, or if it's just 'cause it doesn't match the internal version I have running, but it always sounds suspiciously gravelly from where I stand.

You sound absolutely amazing Zoe! Such a clear, feminine voice. You would be perfect as a flight attendant because when they speak on the PA system they always sound very relaxed and soft. And you also speak quickly like them. :)

And Eric, maybe it's because right when they first meet you, you introduce yourself? Then they hear your voice and they realize "ahhhh, it's a girl," but if someone just saw pictures of you or saw you without hearing your voice, they would come to the conclusion that your male? I think so, because if I just saw you on the street it wouldn't cross my mind that you were transgender.
  •  

Jennygirl

Wow Zoe... You sound fantastic :D
  •  

Erik Ezrin

Zoe, I agree with the girls here; you sound great! :)

And that could probably be, yeah. Usually in restaurants and stuff you also have to talk, which results them dumping me in the 'female' category... :/
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

My fb art page; https://www.facebook.com/BellaKohlerArt
My DA art page; http://asrath.deviantart.com/
  •  

Keaira

I think this is the most I've ever spoken on camera. lol
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Keaira on June 13, 2013, 04:09:40 AM

I think this is the most I've ever spoken on camera. lol

I don't really know you two but that video was a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e

And your voices sound great :)
  •  

Keaira

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 13, 2013, 04:37:46 AM
I don't really know you two but that video was a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e

And your voices sound great :)
Really? I still hear male.. it's my own natural voice. Any time I've tried changing my voice it makes me sound like an old lady. lol ^_^ But thank you for watching.
  •  

Jamie D

Zoe, my dear, you need more than a seven-second clip to exhibit your range and versatility.    But what I heard sounds good.

Quote from: Jesstrogen on June 01, 2013, 11:35:29 AM
Erm, wow, I'm kind of happy this morning! This is as good as anything I've got, been practicing a bit more lately:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s10AS63ImSGQ

In reference to the "phlegm", I've had a sort throat today, sadly, but it's weird, it's felt kind of like a reverse voice breaking. So I kind of have that to thank. It's not perfect, but really a good start, I think. Not falsetto like so many other times I've practiced! Still, what do you think? What's good, to be improved, etc.?

Nice, hidden 21st birthday gift for tomorrow, a day in advance, from me to me, right? :)

Your voice reminds me of when my daughters had friends for sleepovers.  I could here the chattering and giggling all night long.

BTW, happy birthday.

Quote from: Erik Ezrin on June 11, 2013, 08:48:50 AM
Wow, unbelievable! Her voice IS female! :o Just... wow!
One end I feel envious, 'cause you girls can do it without hormones, and on one end I feel lucky, because hormones do the work for us (but it will take a couple of years before I can get on them :/ so that makes me kinda sad...)

I have ONE thing uploaded where I speak, my 1 year dreadlock update (in case you don't know, dreads change quite a lot, and it's a common practice to make so called 'timelines' to keep track of the change. I mostly did it with pics, but did 2 video updates as well)

(natural voice, before T or ANYTHING)

I tried practising a big to get it lower, but it doesn't really work... it either sounds like I'm faking it, or I get a throatache from straining my vocal chords too much. *sigh*
But my voice just makes me feel all horrible when I hear it... MAYBE I could pass on looks only, but if I open my mouth, ALL of that is gone...

Erik, you need to get your voice out of your throat and into you chest.  Your hair is great and you accent is charming.   :)

Actually, I had to learn to lower my voice, because my natural voice was so "whiny."  Now I have to unlearn it!   >:(
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Keaira on June 13, 2013, 04:39:41 AM
Really? I still hear male.. it's my own natural voice. Any time I've tried changing my voice it makes me sound like an old lady. lol ^_^ But thank you for watching.

I mean I suppose you could range up your pitch ever so slightly, but you are absolutely right it sounds very natural and very feminine as is.

How do people usually gender you on the phone? I wouldn't be surprised if you get miss'd or maam'd a lot.
  •  

Keaira

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 13, 2013, 04:55:27 AM
I mean I suppose you could range up your pitch ever so slightly, but you are absolutely right it sounds very natural and very feminine as is.

How do people usually gender you on the phone? I wouldn't be surprised if you get miss'd or maam'd a lot.

I always get gendered female. on the phone. ^_^
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: girl you look fierce on June 14, 2013, 03:11:40 AM
Feeling a little blecky about my voice lately...

https://soundcloud.com/user963959415/61313-1

Thoughts? The temptation is to do a try-hard, ideal recording but in reality this is the relaxed kind of voice I use in an all day every day sort of way, at least at home. Practically I can sound a fair bit more feminine but usually with some strain after a long day of it, and I'm really worried about damaging my voice from those days. :-\

Your voice is AMAZING. If this is relaxed, then your try hard voice must be incredible. Your fundamental frequency for this recording is 184hz which is AWESOME. Plus I think your resonance sounds great. Where you really shine, though, is your inflection and pronunciation of s's and extended vowel sounds. It just sounds really natural and feminine.

Now if you want me to be overly critical, female range they say is 190hz-250hz. So, if you want to get technical your pitch may be a little low. But in reality it is negligible... I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. You have a gorgeous voice as is and it's a pleasure to listen to you talk.

:D
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: girl you look fierce on June 14, 2013, 03:11:40 AM
Feeling a little blecky about my voice lately...

https://soundcloud.com/user963959415/61313-1

Thoughts? The temptation is to do a try-hard, ideal recording but in reality this is the relaxed kind of voice I use in an all day every day sort of way, at least at home. Practically I can sound a fair bit more feminine but usually with some strain after a long day of it, and I'm really worried about damaging my voice from those days. :-\

I "really, really, really think" you sound like any one of my three daughters.  No reason to feel blecky.  Your voice is superb.
  •  

Keaira

Yea, there's some great voices here. So jealous. lol. I'd like to make mine sound more feminine but I havent a clue what I could change.
  •  

Charley Bea(EmeraldP)

All these voices are great, though i fear I may never post here(same with other topics) as I either can't get past the 'minnie' mouse stage without going to deep or some say I sound like Michael Jackson.

•  

Sybil

Quote from: girl you look fierce on June 14, 2013, 12:10:04 PM
@jennygirl and Jamie D

Thanks... guess I have to accept how other people hear it lol. :) I don't know why it's so hard to accept!

About the frequency yeah relaxed it tends toward mid 180s and with a little more effort around 210-220 hz. Any higher and I think it would get worn out fast :-X
This is exactly how I am. I'm in the same exact boat you are. I totally get your feelings of being down about it some times because of the effort between womanly, relaxed voice vs. efforted, super cute girly voice (or whatever) -- and worrying about the strain and long days.

You still sound really awesome. Especially because I totally relate to the situation, I really would like to reassure you that you sound great even while relaxed. You really, really do.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Seras

Hi again. Been a while since I came to this thread.

https://soundcloud.com/olivia1988-1/17thjuneuploader/s-Hq8xp

I would really like some feedback on this recording. I know it sounds kind of flat and like I am super depressed or something trust me I am not as bad as it sounds :P

I noticed and tried to pick it up a bit in the middle somewhere. However I was thinking of what to say and also monitoring my analysing software as I spoke so I was kinda distracted! Either way it was still less monotonous than my last upload I think.

--

Anyway I would really love some honest feedback on how I sound. Like I always think it sounds kind of bad and like a fake voice I always think I sound terrible, then again I have always hated hearing back my male voice too! So whatever.

I try to judge it fairly and sometimes I think it sounds OK but I really don't know. I just can't judge myself well or objectively at all. I really need someone to say whether it is good or bad or somewhere in the middle or anything so I know where I need to work on.

Thanks!

PS girl you look fierce, get out of here your voice is awesome.
  •  

Sybil

Seras,

You're right. I think your resonance needs work. I'm pretty certain I can hear from the way that you're inhaling that your throat is very open; in order to constrict resonance, you need to pull your "adam's apple" (really, it's just that area, I don't think the actual thing itself) up and back a little bit. It's tough at first, but becomes easier and pretty natural eventually.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

BunnyBee

Okay, so, I love this thread.  I don't remember all of which ones I listened to,  but so many of you sound so amazing.  Awesome job!   A couple that stand out in my mind for whatever random reason I'll just talk abt for a sec.

Princess Di, I really identify with some things you said about how hard it is to use a new voice with people that knew you from before.  Weird how that is.   Another thing, I also always feel like my voice is in flux and sounds better or worse throughout the day, etc.  Also, you sound totally amazing and either version you want to use is great.

Kiera, you two are so squishable!  Love it :)

Girl You Look Fierce, I am with you on feeling blecky about my voice.  I never feel I can judge my own self and, because of that, I spend a lot of time feeling less than confident.  I think I will upload some samples later because of that.  Anyway you sound perfect, obv, so stop worrying :)
  •  

janellebell

Was anyone able to hear my recording of me singing
  •